New to Mazda, new owner of CX-5 Signature. Where is...

:
2020 CX5 Signature
Just purchased my first completely new car, a Mazda CX-5 Signature, deep crystal blue mica color. Also my first Mazda after being a Toyota person for decades. The car had zero miles on it when we took it for a test drive and we purchased it the next day.

Lots of questions; let's start with some most likely easy ones.

Where do I find out what firmware my Audio system is?

Where do I find out what version of Navigation/Maps is installed?

The system OS is 70.00.352 NA N, which I believe is one version back from what is currently available for download. Any advantages or disadvantages of updating this firmware, i.e. I might lose a feature that lots of folks like? If I elect to update the firmware, I assume that if I follow instructions exactly, updating will go smoothly.

Music Database = 00.09.00
Fail Safe = 70.00.352

Where is the engine oil filter located? I'm guessing it is accessed from underneath, as I can't find it by looking under the hood.

I'm sure there will be many, many other questions coming...

If the fail-safe shows 70.00.352 you're 1 release behind. The current release (assuming ur in North America) is 70.00.367.

I can't remember where to find the maps version. But the easiest thing to do is to go to Mazda's website, download the Mazda toolbox (its under the "owners" section. bring the memory stick (its in the centre console storage area) into the house and plug it into your computer with the Mazda toolbox software open.

It will check to see if you have a new update.
Latest maps update is September 2020.

Last edited:
Check your oil level first thing in the morning before driving, to get an accurate reading. One of the bigger conroversies is if CX-5's come from the factory under filled, and how much oil is needed to fill the crankcase. The amount of oil stated in the manual is not accurate. Also check your tire pressure. Some cars came with too much air. Mine had one tire with too much hair.

Thanks for the tip on how to update the maps in Navigation.

I did check the oil yesterday and it is a very thin hair below full, so I thought it was OK. I will check the tire pressure today; I didn't even think of that.

I'd also suggest checking the fluid levels. The rear diff and the coolant are almost always low from the factory. Don't add just any coolant if it's low. Mazda coolant FL22 must be used.

Coolant should be easy to check the level.
Rear differential sounds a bit more challenging. Is there an upper fill plug and I fill it with (something) until it starts to overflow?

Coolant should be easy to check the level.
Rear differential sounds a bit more challenging. Is there an upper fill plug and I fill it with (something) until it starts to overflow?

Exactly right. Pull the fill plug on the rear diff and fill with Mazda SG1 Hypoid gear oil till it overflows. Allow it to drip till it stops and button 'er up.

Last edited:
Next question: When I have my cell phone connected to the car via the "smartphone" USB port in the center storage console, where do people put their phones? I was surprised that there wasn't a dedicated phone slot. My phone only kind of fits in one of the cup holders and the forward storage bin not only has scratchy stuff in it, that is a long way away.

I drilled a small hole in the inside bottom, forward wall (it pulls out, so you can drill it wherever you want) of my center console and ran a USB to lightning cable from the USB port, under the shifter and behind the HVAC controls so. that it comes out just to the lower left of the driver's side AC vent. Then I purchased a mount that was specific to the CX-5 that covers the hazard button but allows the vents to be opened and closed. This way the cable is out of the way and you only see the portion that sticks out from behind the trim and everything is nice and neat.

IMG_7300.jpg

Check your oil level first thing in the morning before driving, to get an accurate reading. One of the bigger conroversies is if CX-5's come from the factory under filled, and how much oil is needed to fill the crankcase. The amount of oil stated in the manual is not accurate. Also check your tire pressure. Some cars came with too much air. Mine had one tire with too much hair.
5 quarts. Puts me a bit above the top dot every time. Stop overthinking.

That's one possibility. What brand/model phone mount do you have?
I did mine in 2 parts. 1 is the CX-5 specific mount and then I used the MPOW holder for the phone. Basically I swapped the included magnetic holder for the mpow scissor one. It was a direct swap and took just a few seconds (unscrew and discard magnetic mount and replace with MPOW holder while discarding the CD holder).

Car mount: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) (you can find on eBay or aliexpress cheaper).

Phone holder: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Does anyone know how to disable or delete the music database? I mainly listen to MP3 audiobooks and the system keeps changing the author's name to that of some similarly spelled musicians' name; author's names probably aren't in the database, though it never changes the book title.

Just purchased my first completely new car, a Mazda CX-5 Signature, deep crystal blue mica color. Also my first Mazda after being a Toyota person for decades. The car had zero miles on it when we took it for a test drive and we purchased it the next day.
The first time I have ever heard a brand new CX-5 has 0 miles on the odometer. A new CX-5 had been driven to test-drive a bit in factory, to get on the shipping boat in Japan, to get off the boat at the port of entry in the US, then most likely to get on and off the train ⋯ The least miles I’ve heard here was 3 miles on the odometer including mine which was special-ordered and I watched it unloaded from the truck at the dealership.

Where is the engine oil filter located? I'm guessing it is accessed from underneath, as I can't find it by looking under the hood.
The oil filter is vertically mounted on the backside of transverse mounted I4 so you can’t see it like Toyota’s which usually mounted horizontally at the front for easy access. You have to go deep underneath the CX-5 and open a access panel to see and replace the oil filter.

CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

CX-5 Oil Change with Filter by tomcat1446

You 2.5T uses 5W-30 oil and PY8W-14-302 (factory installed) / 1WPY-14-302 oil filter, which are different from 0W-20 oil and PE01-14-302B (factory installed) / 1WPE-14-302 oil filter used on naturally aspirated 2.5L.

And yes, the fluid capacity specs in your Mazda owner’s manual are “approximate”. If you DIY on oil change for your new CX-5 Signature, you’d need at least 5.5 quarts instead of said 5.1 quarts of oil to get the oil level to the “Max” mark of the dipstick.

Thanks for the tip on how to update the maps in Navigation.

I did check the oil yesterday and it is a very thin hair below full, so I thought it was OK. I will check the tire pressure today; I didn't even think of that.
Usually the oil level on 2.5T from factory is a bit over-filled. It’s the 2.5L which is under-filled.

Make sure to exercise a bit taking out your mini spare and check the air pressure too. Most likely it has ~40 psi, way below the recommended 60 psi.

Regarding the zero miles on our test drive car: we test-drove three different dark blue 2020 CX-5 Signatures and two out of the three had zero miles on the odometer. The third had 12.

Good point about checking the mini-spare tire; I had planned to check the main tire pressures today and will now remember to check the spare.

Thanks for the oil filter change info; always interesting reading the different views on oil and filters. I admit to still being surprised that the 5W-30 oil sold by Mazda for their 2.5T engines is not full synthetic.

I admit to still being surprised that the 5W-30 oil sold by Mazda for their 2.5T engines is not full synthetic.
Yes that Mazda OEM 5W-30 oil is not full synthetic and lots of gen-2 CX-9 owners with 2.5T, who are changing the oil at Mazda dealership, are using it without knowing it. The oil is supposed to be the same as Castrol GTX 5W-30.

Yes that Mazda OEM 5W-30 oil is not full synthetic and lots of gen-2 CX-9 owners with 2.5T, who are changing the oil at Mazda dealership, are using it without knowing it. The oil is supposed to be the same as Castrol GTX 5W-30.
I do NOT wish to start a religious war about motor oil, but still wonder why synthetic oil is not used. Also, the recommended 7,500 mile oil change interval seems awfully long for non-synthetic oil.

I do NOT wish to start a religious war about motor oil, but still wonder why synthetic oil is not used. Also, the recommended 7,500 mile oil change interval seems awfully long for non-synthetic oil.

I wonder the same. I use synthetic 5w30 (Castrol Edge) on my 2.5T and change the oil every 7500-8000 kms (4600-5000 mi) as recommended (I'm in Canada).

BTW the 7500 mi OCI is if the maintenance monitor for Oil Change is set to "Flexible", and it is a maximum upper limit (i.e. "Replace when wrench indicator light is ON. (Max interval: 12 months or 12,000 km (7,500 miles))"

If you aren't using the Flexible setting, the OCI is every 5000 mi or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Back