New to forum...question on deal

bburas

:
Looking at 2016 Mazda6 GT
I'm new to this forum but have been reading a lot of the threads and have to say this group is a wealth of information. Great ideas for modifications, where to get aftermarket products, etc.

I haven't bought a car in 13 years so I'm way out of practice when it comes to negotiating but I'm trying to get into a 2016 Mazda6 GT. The dealer price is 30,863 (MSRP 33,933) for the Pearl White GT with tech package. That's just the website listed price. Any advice on what else I could reasonably expect to get knocked off of that? My wife of course talked to a friend who says she got her Altima for 5,000 off invoice price (i think she meant MSRP but there's no arguing with my wife) and so anything less that that kind of deal seems out of whack to her. This is a great car and I don't want to miss out on it by low-balling.

Along the same lines, do you guys find negotiating through email/phone as effective as face to face? Thanks in advance and if this not the correct forum for this post then feel free to move it around.

I paid $28,588 out the door for my '16 GT with no extra options on it. This included all charges such as destination, tax , tag, etc. In SC the tax is only $300 though. There are 3 other dealers in my area and all 3 gave me almost identical pricing. Since you're looking at one with ieLoop package the price seems fairly in line. I don't think they want to deal too aggressively on '16 models yet. I've seen '15 models go for a few thousand less but the upgrades to the '16 are worth it in my opinion. I called the 3 dealers and told them no trade in, no financing, and I had cash waiting. I also said I don't need the car anytime soon so I can afford to wait to find a good deal. Over the phone I said, don't play any games with me, I know exactly what I want and I'm calling multiple dealers with the exact same information so give me your best price now or I won't even bother to see you or call back. I went with the deal my closest dealer gave me. I did tell him he was the closest to me and I would prefer to buy from him but I will go elsewhere for a better deal. In the end he was only about $100 less than the other two. I normally like to negotiate in person and I find the process rather fun because also did it for my profession. But, this way was more efficient for me at the time. Good luck.

Last edited:
I paid $28,588 out the door for my '16 GT with no extra options on it. This included all charges such as destination, tax , tag, etc. In SC the tax is only $300 though. There are 3 other dealers in my area and all 3 gave me almost identical pricing. Since you're looking at one with ieLoop package the price seems fairly in line. I don't think they want to deal too aggressively on '16 models yet. I've seen '15 models go for a few thousand less but the upgrades to the '16 are worth it in my opinion. I called the 3 dealers and told them no trade in, no financing, and I had cash waiting. I also said I don't need the car anytime soon so I can afford to wait to find a good deal. Over the phone I said, don't play any games with me, I know exactly what I want and I'm calling multiple dealers with the exact same information so give me your best price now or I won't even bother to see you or call back. I went with the deal my closest dealer gave me. I did tell him he was the closest to me and I would prefer to buy from him but I will go elsewhere for a better deal. In the end he was only about $100 less than the other two. I normally like to negotiate in person and I find the process rather fun because also do it for my profession. But, this way was more efficient for me at the time. If you can get them to an even $30k on your car I think that would be a good deal. Good luck.

That is really helpful information. I'm thinking of the GT without Tech vs Touring with Tech now.

I appreciate the help

I think the GT without tech is a better option. I love the power and memory seats. The dark wheels look way better too and there are a few more nice things included.

I paid $29600 for '16 GT+tech back in Aug.
It was about $1k below invoice.
Salesman told me that they go for volume discount all the times.
The price was $900 lower than 2nd offer from another dealer.
Note that '16 just came out in Aug.

I paid $29600 for '16 GT+tech back in Aug.
It was about $1k below invoice.
Salesman told me that they go for volume discount all the times.
The price was $900 lower than 2nd offer from another dealer.
Note that '16 just came out in Aug.

Was that the out the door price? Best I've got so far is 28,806 sale price before tax, etc. I'll try to keep them competing against each other

$30,800 for a GT with Tech Pack is a decent price right now, I do feel if you can wait until November the incentives will be much better, back when I was looking at Mazda 6 GT with Tech the incentives in November were quite substantial, they were selling for $28,500 around that time, and this was when it was the 2015 model year. In the end though I went with a 2015 Mazda 6 Touring Manual, it's a shame the GT can't be had with a stick shift.

I was able to pick up the GT (no tech) for about 30K. This did include "free" window tinting, rear bumper guard and front and back splash guards. We were happy with the price. The salesman said "you know we're losing money on this deal". My reply was "If that's true then you have a terrible business model". They got there money and we got the car we wanted with a few upgrades. Thanks for the advice guys.

Back