New MPV for US?

:
2010 Mazda5 Touring
Will we ever get Mazda's newest version of the MPV? If they took that vehicle and placed their SKYACTIV 2.2L twin turbo diesel in it, I could definitely see this as my next vehicle.
di-mazda_mpv_2018_new_model-7db529f3134ab83c91c7f30e089e0c7a.jpg

They've had them for years running around japan and other parts of Asia. I'm pretty sure its using the mazda6's platform. When I was getting my alignment done, they had a magazine with a great write up on the skyactiv engines, including that diesel. Great alternative to the Odyssey and the Sienna and you know its got that ZOOM ZOOM!!!

already looks dated.

It all depends on its size. If it is big/tall/heavy, there is no zoom zoom no matter how they try to sell it.

At this point in my life, I don't have the spare change to spend on an optioned-up model of any car. If it has A/C, Cruise, and a stereo I can plug my MP3 player into then I'm basically satisfied. For about $19K each, I got all that and more in both of our Mazda5's. But I would be willing to spend the money to get the higher trim level if I could get Mazda's new 2.2L turbodiesel. I simply can't imagine it would be available, even as an option, in the Sport much like with the CX-5 in which you can only get the 2.5L Skyactiv-G in the Touring/Grand Touring. The diesel would be worth it and the Mazda5 is THE perfect vehicle for it.

So the Japanese version comes standard with skyactive 2.0L engine and drive. Why won't they bring that into North America?

So the Japanese version comes standard with skyactive 2.0L engine and drive. Why won't they bring that into North America?

Because the 5 doesn't sell well enough in the US to justify an even lesser power variant. It's already pretty damn slow, losing 10hp and torque for minimal gains in fuel economy will not help sway people either.

The MPV is too small for the US market, and not small enough for those looking for a compact car. So it would end up costing as much as the other available minivans but offer less. American's would rather buy crossovers instead of that middle between micro and minivan.

I would ask, if the Sky 2.0 fits in the current gen in JP, who's going to be the first to convert here (fantasy) :)

Because the 5 doesn't sell well enough in the US to justify an even lesser power variant. It's already pretty damn slow, losing 10hp and torque for minimal gains in fuel economy will not help sway people either.

The MPV is too small for the US market, and not small enough for those looking for a compact car. So it would end up costing as much as the other available minivans but offer less. American's would rather buy crossovers instead of that middle between micro and minivan.
x2. IF Mazda kills the Mz5, I put all the blame on the CX5.

Back