nelvolks

:
02 Mazda Protege 5
New member here just wanted to say whats up. Glad to be on the forum.

Attachments

• mazda1.JPG
    mazda1.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 111
  • mazda.JPG
    mazda.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 111
  • mazda2.JPG
    mazda2.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 114
welcome. nice p5 like the blue. if your not familiar with this car, it has been very reliable in my experience.

a few things to watch for is the h7 headlights tend to not last long if you drive at night a decent amount, the coil packs are notorious for failure (obvious when they do) but are relatively cheap and easy to replace. have the timing belt checked(or just go ahead and replace it unless your 100% its been replaced at the correct mileage, and its not near time again)

a good idea (as i do with all used cars) is seafoam it. basically go get a bottle of seafoam and start your car up, get it warm (so right after you get home from buying is good) shut it off, disconnect the brake booster vacuum hose and crank it up(it will idle bad while doing this), while its idling slowly pour in about 1/3 to 1/2 the can (slow enough so it wont die) and then cut it off and let it sit for 5-30 minutes. then go drive it (it will smoke but thats fine) drive for awhile and after enjoy your freshly cleaned engine egr and exhaust system

Last edited:
Very clean P5. Any plans for it?

Right now I want to do some maintenance that it needs. I just had to replace all the bushings for the control arms and one of the steering linkage bars was bad. I did an all wheel alignment and replace a bad brake caliper.

welcome. nice p5 like the blue. if your not familiar with this car, it has been very reliable in my experience.

a few things to watch for is the h7 headlights tend to not last long if you drive at night a decent amount, the coil packs are notorious for failure (obvious when they do) but are relatively cheap and easy to replace. have the timing belt checked(or just go ahead and replace it unless your 100% its been replaced at the correct mileage, and its not near time again)

a good idea (as i do with all used cars) is seafoam it. basically go get a bottle of seafoam and start your car up, get it warm (so right after you get home from buying is good) shut it off, disconnect the brake booster vacuum hose and crank it up(it will idle bad while doing this), while its idling slowly pour in about 1/3 to 1/2 the can (slow enough so it wont die) and then cut it off and let it sit for 5-30 minutes. then go drive it (it will smoke but thats fine) drive for awhile and after enjoy your freshly cleaned engine egr and exhaust system

Thanks for all this info. I'm in the process of getting any maintenance done on it that it needs. I bought the car from a used car dealer and the previous owner must not have done too much maintenance on it. Good idea on the seafoam and I have heard people doing that before so I will definately go buy a can and take care of that.

Back