New Member - rear noise while driving - rear bearings?

fortworthmatt

:
Mazda Protege 5
Hi guys. Just bought a 2002 Protege 5 today with 132k miles. The owner had all the receipts for the last 6 years and took great care of the car but while driving I noticed a lot of what I thought was road noise. I thought maybe it was the tires (Kumho Ecsta) but now I am thinking it is the rear bearings. I have a receipt for the front bearing replacement at 104K but they did not do the rears. I don't guess there is any way to be sure without jacking up the rear and listening as I rotate the tire?? Any ideas from you other owners? Other than that it looks like everything has been done: all belts and timing belt at 109K, new catalytic converter and muffler a couple of years ago, radiator was replace at 126k, spark plugs at 90k. Anything else I need to look for or worry about at the current mileage 132k? Thanks for any advice guys. I look forward to talking to everyone.

You answered your own question there...jack it up and rotate the tires. Fortunately, the rear bearings are relatively easy to replace. Make sure if you have ABS you get the right bearing/hub, because you need one with the splines that the ABS sensor reads.

Thanks. I have a local mechanic that I spoke to today who advised will check it for me for free. The rear bearings are replaced as the complete hub correct?

Well I had the tires rotated and balanced and I noticed the noise is now in the front instead of the rear so it was the tires. I can't believe how loud they are. Guess I'm s.o.l.

Back