New Member & New CX-9

:
2018 CX-9 GT
Hi everybody! Just joining the forum since we just bought a "new" 2018 CX-9 GT with AWD. Snagged one that had 11,000 miles on it from a local dealer who had been using it as their loaner vehicle for the past year. We are a 1-vehicle family with 3 kids and the Tacoma was getting too cramped for them in the back. We actually had a 2013 CX-9 before the Tacoma, but we needed the bed to haul odd items (before we moved). Now that we don't have to haul anything for the forseeable future, we wanted to go back to a fun people-hauler.

We did get a chance to drive a few vehicles. Not a fan of the Highlander at all. We did drive the brand new Hyundai Palasade which is using a Genesis 6-cylinder engine that we really liked. It was a bit bigger, and with better viability, than the CX-9 and comes with some neat new tech (if you get the top tier trim). But best of all, it came with an amazing factory warranty. We were strongly considering it except that they were not budging from MSRP because they had people lined up on a waiting list for them. My only hesitation was with the 4WD system. It is a FWD vehicle that has to be changed to 4WD by locking the center diff manually. Not something I want my wife worrying about now that we moved to the mid-west.

The CX-9 is a smoother ride than the Palasade and it handles a little better since it's smaller. But while looking at 2019 CX-9's, we came across the 2018 for almost $15k less than a new Limited Palasade...it was a no-brainer. Honestly, I'm surprised how effortless it is to drive the CX-9 (especially compared to the truck).

And I must say that the heads-up-display is just frigging fun!

Today the Android Auto/Carplay upgrade is getting installed and all-weather floor mats are on order. :D

20191025_113245.jpg20191025_113237.jpg

Hi everybody! Just joining the forum since we just bought a "new" 2018 CX-9 GT with AWD. Snagged one that had 11,000 miles on it from a local dealer who had been using it as their loaner vehicle for the past year. We are a 1-vehicle family with 3 kids and the Tacoma was getting too cramped for them in the back. We actually had a 2013 CX-9 before the Tacoma, but we needed the bed to haul odd items (before we moved). Now that we don't have to haul anything for the forseeable future, we wanted to go back to a fun people-hauler.

We did get a chance to drive a few vehicles. Not a fan of the Highlander at all. We did drive the brand new Hyundai Palasade which is using a Genesis 6-cylinder engine that we really liked. It was a bit bigger, and with better viability, than the CX-9 and comes with some neat new tech (if you get the top tier trim). But best of all, it came with an amazing factory warranty. We were strongly considering it except that they were not budging from MSRP because they had people lined up on a waiting list for them. My only hesitation was with the 4WD system. It is a FWD vehicle that has to be changed to 4WD by locking the center diff manually. Not something I want my wife worrying about now that we moved to the mid-west.

The CX-9 is a smoother ride than the Palasade and it handles a little better since it's smaller. But while looking at 2019 CX-9's, we came across the 2018 for almost $15k less than a new Limited Palasade...it was a no-brainer. Honestly, I'm surprised how effortless it is to drive the CX-9 (especially compared to the truck).

And I must say that the heads-up-display is just frigging fun!

Today the Android Auto/Carplay upgrade is getting installed and all-weather floor mats are on order. :D

View attachment 221670View attachment 221671

Congrats on the (new) ride and welcome to the forum. I know you'll enjoy the newer CX-9 than your previous due to the newer features & upgrades!

Unfortunately for new models like the Telluride & Pallisade they're popular and buyers are lining up that's why dealers won't budge on any discounting but eventually the "hype" will subside and later on deals will be offered - that's just how it goes with supply & demand.

Personally I never really looked at the Korean brands though they've come a long ways on styling, value and reliability I still trust more the Japanese brands esp Mazdas (those models built in Japan)

Congrats on the (new) ride and welcome to the forum. I know you'll enjoy the newer CX-9 than your previous due to the newer features & upgrades!

Unfortunately for new models like the Telluride & Pallisade they're popular and buyers are lining up that's why dealers won't budge on any discounting but eventually the "hype" will subside and later on deals will be offered - that's just how it goes with supply & demand.

Personally I never really looked at the Korean brands though they've come a long ways on styling, value and reliability I still trust more the Japanese brands esp Mazdas (those models built in Japan)

Thanks!

There's no denying that supply vs demand is something that dealers love to capitalize on when they can. But you're right, they likely won't hold as good of a value like Mazda's will. Although I got a nice/lightly used CX-9, I wasn't able talk them down like I had hoped. It was because there were a handful of other 2018 CX-9 GT's with AWD that were listed at a similar price point. Even KBB said the price I was getting was still towards the bottom of the green zone (meaning it was a good value).

Now that Android Auto/Carplay has been installed, they updated the software to:

OS Ver 70.00.335 NA N

Music Database Ver 00.09.00

They said it's the newest version, so I figured I would share what the newest version are (as of today).

Now that Android Auto/Carplay has been installed, they updated the software to:

OS Ver 70.00.335 NA N

Music Database Ver 00.09.00

They said it's the newest version, so I figured I would share what the newest version are (as of today).

Thanks, and congrats on the new car. Looks like you have the front bumper garnish installed, do you also have the garnish on the rear?

When I bought my 2018, the Palisade and Telluride were only rumours. I have to say, based on the pics of the Korean offerings, I'm pretty impressed with the interiors and the tech available, but I know that I would have had a hard time cross-shopping them with the CX-9. The exterior looks and the way the CX-9 drives would have ended up being more important to me.

Thanks, and congrats on the new car. Looks like you have the front bumper garnish installed, do you also have the garnish on the rear?

When I bought my 2018, the Palisade and Telluride were only rumours. I have to say, based on the pics of the Korean offerings, I'm pretty impressed with the interiors and the tech available, but I know that I would have had a hard time cross-shopping them with the CX-9. The exterior looks and the way the CX-9 drives would have ended up being more important to me.

I was the same way...how it drives and how it looks were both important to me. For my wife, how it drives was most important and Mazda still has everyone else beat in this category.

Looking at the window sticker, it did have front and rear bumper trim add-ons. I can snap a pic of the rear once the rain stops.

Here's a pic of the rear bumper trim. I also added the OEM roof rack which was surprisingly slow to add due to the super tight angle.

20191030_133124-2.jpg

I also added the really nice all-weather mats by 3D (the SPIDERmax) for all 3 rows. They are much nicer than the Weather Tech mats I have used in other vehicles because the design doesn't seem as utilitarian. Plus, they are not slippery and squeaky like the Weather Tech's can get when wet.

20191030_131254.jpg20191030_131202.jpg20191030_131214.jpg

Finally, I also added the OEM "rear cargo tray" (all-weather mat for the trunk area). I went with OEM because we frequently keep one seat up and one down in the 3rd row. It gives my youngest extra room (instead of sitting in the middle seat in the 2nd row), but still gives us cargo enough cargo room too.

20191030_131217.jpg

Last edited:
This is the first time I see the rear bumper trim installed. It looks good. I also went with the OEM rear cargo tray for the flexibility of use. I find that I end up having the rear seat up more often than I expected (sometime just to prevent small grocery from rolling around the back). Welcome to the forum !

Funny my dealer driven 2018 CX-9 GT AWD ( had 5500 miles and was sold as new) did also come with the front and rear plastic chrome garnishes. I really think it sets the look off in a great way. It's mostly the wife's vehicle but I like to drive it as well because it's such a nice vehicle to be in. Had it 10 months now and 11k miles with 3 long ( 1350 mile) highway trips and the thing is very solid feeling when doing battle with the double and triple semi's that are clogging the interstate's these days. the CX-5 just felt a bit too small but still an awesome SUV.

You'll enjoy it but washing it is a chore. It just seems huge when doing that.

This is the first time I see the rear bumper trim installed. It looks good. I also went with the OEM rear cargo tray for the flexibility of use. I find that I end up having the rear seat up more often than I expected (sometime just to prevent small grocery from rolling around the back). Welcome to the forum !

Thanks! It's funny, now that you guys have asked about the bumper trim, I have been looking at the other newer CX-9's and have yet to see another with it. I like that it adds a little more to the look without being too flashy (especially in the rear).

Funny my dealer driven 2018 CX-9 GT AWD ( had 5500 miles and was sold as new) did also come with the front and rear plastic chrome garnishes. I really think it sets the look off in a great way. It's mostly the wife's vehicle but I like to drive it as well because it's such a nice vehicle to be in. Had it 10 months now and 11k miles with 3 long ( 1350 mile) highway trips and the thing is very solid feeling when doing battle with the double and triple semi's that are clogging the interstate's these days. the CX-5 just felt a bit too small but still an awesome SUV.

You'll enjoy it but washing it is a chore. It just seems huge when doing that.

Ha, sounds like we are in a similar boat. It's primarily my wife's vehicle, but I certainly love driving it more than than the previous CX-9 or the Tacoma that was traded in. When hauling the kids around, it is now the primary family hauler. This Christmas, we will get in the first road trip. I am a little worried about space for luggage, so I might also get a cargo box to go on the roof rack...but I'm still researching this. Between my wife, 3 kids, and 2 mini dachshunds, it's going to be tight if we also keep the luggage inside the vehicle. Did you (or any else reading this thread) feel that you had enough room for luggage during your road trips?

As for cleaning it, I feel it should be easier to clean (than the Tacoma) since it's smaller and without a bed which accumulated plenty sand, dirt, and leaves. lol

We've taken ours on multiple road trips, including a couple WI-NJ drives, and a 3-day campout with all our gears. All our luggage fits, but we are only a family of 3. BUT, the third one is still a baby and my God her stuffs take more space than both of our stuffs lol. With your family and 2 dogs though, I think you'd need a cargo box. The kid who gets to seat in the middle of the 2nd row will not have a fun time, so you'd need at least one of the 3rd row seats up.

I am a little worried about space for luggage, so I might also get a cargo box to go on the roof rack...but I'm still researching this. Between my wife, 3 kids, and 2 mini dachshunds, it's going to be tight if we also keep the luggage inside the vehicle. Did you (or any else reading this thread) feel that you had enough room for luggage during your road trips?

Took ours on a three day camping trip this past summer. With four people and all the camping gear definitely needed to get a cargo box. Since we don't camp a lot or do any skiing, just went with a basic cargo box, which is a SportRack SR7016. Worked perfectly with no problems.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2017_CX9.jpg
    2017_CX9.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 789
I appreciate the responses. Looks like a cargo box will have to be my next investment. I was pretty sure it would be, but now I'm certain.

Took ours on a three day camping trip this past summer. With four people and all the camping gear definitely needed to get a cargo box. Since we don't camp a lot or do any skiing, just went with a basic cargo box, which is a SportRack SR7016. Worked perfectly with no problems.

attachment.php

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. It looks better than I thought it would.

I have a similar looking Thule "Force" medium top box. Good product. Opens on both sides. Makes a bit or noise as speed and kills mileage by about 2-3 MPG though when loaded up. This is still one of the smoothest highway vehicles I have ever driven. Even with the 20" wheel package.

I have a similar looking Thule "Force" medium top box. Good product. Opens on both sides. Makes a bit or noise as speed and kills mileage by about 2-3 MPG though when loaded up. This is still one of the smoothest highway vehicles I have ever driven. Even with the 20" wheel package.

I agree that the CX-9 is one of the smoothest/easiest highway vehicle I have ever driven. Power delivery, transmission control, maneuverability/handling, etc. are all spot-on for how my wife and I tend to drive.

It baffles me that so many companies are unable to design/tune their larger vehicles like Mazda has done with their CX-9. I was originally afraid that Mazda had messed up so that they could give in to better MPG ratings when they went to the 4-cylinder. Thankfully, they actually managed to make it better in almost every way (for everyday driving). I'd say the only way the 4-banger still falls short of the V6 is during the low-down turbo lag range and when you are fully loading down the vehicle to max towing capacity (which I doubt I will ever do).

@Montanaman, I was looking at those different Thule boxes. How big is the medium size in comparison to the CX-9 (ie, does it overhang the windshield)? Do you guys feel it is big enough (or too big) for your family's needs?

I'd say the only way the 4-banger still falls short of the V6 is during the low-down turbo lag range and when you are fully loading down the vehicle to max towing capacity (which I doubt I will ever do).

I've had the CX-9 loaded down with an extra 1100+lbs of cargo, plus my wife and infant daughter, for a 12-hour road trip. The car performed much, much better than I thought it would.

I've had the CX-9 loaded down with an extra 1100+lbs of cargo, plus my wife and infant daughter, for a 12-hour road trip. The car performed much, much better than I thought it would.

I doubt I would be loading anything more than that, so that's good to hear!

Also new member (day 1) and new owner (day 2). 2019 signature in grey. No real add ons, just tint, cargo cover, alloy winter rims. Won't get to see all seasons until spring!

Loved the drive today, very comfortable,nice power delivery and of course, loved the handling. Annoying to not have radio stations programmed.

Gonna do some digging, but was less than thrilled with the lane keep assist. Seems like some have mentioned it's less intrusive. We also have a 2017 crv and that system keeps me dead centre of lane. Only reason to put hands on wheel is to avoid warning.

Very happy overall.

Gonna do some digging, but was less than thrilled with the lane keep assist. Seems like some have mentioned it's less intrusive. We also have a 2017 crv and that system keeps me dead centre of lane. Only reason to put hands on wheel is to avoid warning.

Very happy overall.

Congrats on the new car! Don't forget to double check the PSI on your tires (winters and OEMs). Dealers are notorious for leaving them overinflated.

Yeah, Mazda in general has never offered any type of lane centering technology or advertised the system they have to function as a lane centering assist, at least not in North America. Each manufacturer's definition varies a little bit. Mazda's system isn't intrusive at all, which I personally appreciate. It jerks the steering wheel just enough to remind you to be more mindful of your surroundings. You can play with the settings in the infotainment to adjust the level of intrusion (strength of wheel vibration and audio volume, I believe), and you should be able to adjust how soon the system will intervene. Mine is set to intervene when a wheel starts to go over the line.

Also new member (day 1) and new owner (day 2). 2019 signature in grey. No real add ons, just tint, cargo cover, alloy winter rims. Won't get to see all seasons until spring!

Loved the drive today, very comfortable,nice power delivery and of course, loved the handling. Annoying to not have radio stations programmed.

Very happy overall.

Awesome and congrats!

Definitely dig into the settings on the lane assist. Although it does not keep you centered like the CRV, it does push back for a bit (while making noise and/or vibrating depending on what setting you enable). I have the sound turned off, but the vibration is set to the highest level...which is more than enough for my wife and I (who are coming from vehicles that had no lane assist what-so-ever).

As for the radio, what do you mean about the stations not programmed? Are you talking about an auto-scan & save function? Or are you talking about simply adding them to your favorites?

Back