NEW MAZDA 3s 600 miles on it, engine knocking slightly What gives?

yac2727

:
2004 Mazda 3s Black Mica
Hi, has anyone else experienced this? I was installing the sport pedals on my new Mazda 3s (black mica) hatchack and it was very hot outside so I turned on the engine, and the A/C. Since I had the door open all of a sudden I hear some knocking in the engine (sounded like the lifters when an older engine starts cold the lifters usually knock for a while). Well, needless to say I'm a little worried as the car only has 600 miles on it. What info can you give me??

yac2727 said:
Hi, has anyone else experienced this? I was installing the sport pedals on my new Mazda 3s (black mica) hatchack and it was very hot outside so I turned on the engine, and the A/C. Since I had the door open all of a sudden I hear some knocking in the engine (sounded like the lifters when an older engine starts cold the lifters usually knock for a while). Well, needless to say I'm a little worried as the car only has 600 miles on it. What info can you give me??

Maybe some bad gas, living in florida you might have gone to a fill-up that water's down their gas to make more profit. Octane boost might fix that til your next fill-up. I don't think dirty oil would cause this, but i've heard that people's oil have been disgustingly dirt by about 500 miles during the break-in process. Might be worth changing.

Don't change the oil out until it's recommended. They have some additives, etc to help the coat the seals, etc.

I know that my speed sounds like a diesel engine sometimes... It's just how they are. If you are really concerned, go back to the dealer. Listen to brand new ones and see if they are the same or not.

-fnny

sounds like bad gas. ARe you filling with 87/89/91/ or 93 octane? Should be fine with any of those, but I prefer to do 89 or higher. Also, I changed my oil at 600 miles from the dealer, who replaces it with Mazda oil. Noticing better mileage already and a little more response, but so far, no knocking.

netranger6 said:
sounds like bad gas. ARe you filling with 87/89/91/ or 93 octane? Should be fine with any of those, but I prefer to do 89 or higher. Also, I changed my oil at 600 miles from the dealer, who replaces it with Mazda oil. Noticing better mileage already and a little more response, but so far, no knocking.
Thanks for all your responses. I did fill up my tank at Mobil with 89 octane and it has since stopped the slight knocking. Don't get me wrong, the response is great on this car, and the handling is incredible, I guess I'm just not used to Mazda.

My 6 does the same thing but you can't really hear it till you pop the hood and the fan is off.

Bad AC compressor

If it is anything like the knocking I was getting it is a bad AC compressor.

Take it in and get it checked out. I had mine for four days and had knocking. It was a faulty clutch on the AC compressor. Mine was replaced under warranty. but the part was on national back order so it took about two weeks. Take it in and have them check it.
Worst they could say is that isn't it.

Engine Blowout

yac2727 said:

Bro, my engine blew out this weekend, I have to wait till Monday 3.8.04 to see whay will happen, oil shot out the front and I think that I will need a new engine. I can't believe it, It was making some noise when I was at 2-3 rpm and then the engine was shaking and then like 10 monutes later I felt like I was in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Be careful

Wow, you serious! I'm going to go in and get that checked out. How many miles did y ou have on it before you had the engine blowout? How hard had you driven the car? That's kind of scary...

um........yeah engines don't just blow out like that (boom04) was that the 2.0 or 2.3? My knock is more of a ticking noise cause the dealership used watered down 87

Yeah somehow I don't believe you.

Fusionofideas said:
Bro, my engine blew out this weekend, I have to wait till Monday 3.8.04 to see whay will happen, oil shot out the front and I think that I will need a new engine. I can't believe it, It was making some noise when I was at 2-3 rpm and then the engine was shaking and then like 10 monutes later I felt like I was in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Be careful

Ok maybe we are asking the wrong Q's....whats your mods on your car?

Fusionofideas hasn't described the details of that particular situation yet, but I can tell you that there have been many reports of Mazda 2.3's engine blowing out. Reason? A lot of do-it-yourselfers and quick lube places have been re-installing the oil filter incorrectly after an oil change and it leaks or blows or something. With no oil, you all know what happens to an engine. Again, I'm not sure if this is the case with Fusionofideas' car, but I know of at least one Mazda3 owner having this happen (and several Mazda6 2.3l's).

So a warning to all, if you're doing it yourself, be VERY careful and check for leaks after an oil change. Otherwise, bring it to the Mazda dealer to do (it's only $26.95 here in Canada, which is competitive with the quick lube places, especially after they add any 5W-20 premiums). Or, you can try getting the adaptor to make your 2.3l use the typical spin-on type filter. See this link:
http://gcubed.sytes.net/gcubed/oilfilter.pdf

yac2727 said:
Hi, has anyone else experienced this? I was installing the sport pedals on my new Mazda 3s (black mica) hatchback...

Not to change the subject or jack your thread but where did you get the pedals? My dealer can't seem to find them.

goldwing2000 said:
Not to change the subject or jack your thread but where did you get the pedals? My dealer can't seem to find them.
I got the new RACTIVE pedals black graphite. They look awesome with the black mica color. I'll try to post a picture. They look like they came with the car, they are really nice.
I'm also gonna get leather seat covers to replace the cloth black and red. I'm thinking two tone leather with black on the outside, and grey on the inside inserts. There is a place called nwautointerior.com that sells them for 600 dollars and they are much nicer looking than the factory leather seating surfaces.

Oil Filter Housing Change

wongpres said:
Fusionofideas hasn't described the details of that particular situation yet, but I can tell you that there have been many reports of Mazda 2.3's engine blowing out. Reason? A lot of do-it-yourselfers and quick lube places have been re-installing the oil filter incorrectly after an oil change and it leaks or blows or something. With no oil, you all know what happens to an engine. Again, I'm not sure if this is the case with Fusionofideas' car, but I know of at least one Mazda3 owner having this happen (and several Mazda6 2.3l's).

So a warning to all, if you're doing it yourself, be VERY careful and check for leaks after an oil change. Otherwise, bring it to the Mazda dealer to do (it's only $26.95 here in Canada, which is competitive with the quick lube places, especially after they add any 5W-20 premiums). Or, you can try getting the adaptor to make your 2.3l use the typical spin-on type filter. See this link:
http://gcubed.sytes.net/gcubed/oilfilter.pdf
YOU CAN ALSO EXCHANGE THE CARTRIDGE STYLE OIL FILTER HOUSING, FOR THE NON-CARTRIDGE STYLE FILTER HOUSING FROM THE 2.0L THEY ARE INTERCHANGEABLE, SAME MOUNTING GASKET AND MOUNT POINTS SO AS TO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM LIKE THAT AT ALL. PART#L301-14-310, YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO REPLACE THE GASKET AS WELL, PART#LF01-14-342, THEN ALL YOU'LL CHANGE WHEN YOU DO YOUR OIL IS USE OIL FILTER PART#B6Y1-14-302-9A .

Mazda 3 bad engine

3XMAZDA said:
YOU CAN ALSO EXCHANGE THE CARTRIDGE STYLE OIL FILTER HOUSING, FOR THE NON-CARTRIDGE STYLE FILTER HOUSING FROM THE 2.0L THEY ARE INTERCHANGEABLE, SAME MOUNTING GASKET AND MOUNT POINTS SO AS TO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM LIKE THAT AT ALL. PART#L301-14-310, YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO REPLACE THE GASKET AS WELL, PART#LF01-14-342, THEN ALL YOU'LL CHANGE WHEN YOU DO YOUR OIL IS USE OIL FILTER PART#B6Y1-14-302-9A .
I actually got my oil changed at the dealer and the car is only three months old, One of the rods came loose and busted a 2 inch hole through the engine block(I have the 2.3), They are going to replace the engine and I am not to excited about that since it is a new car and a new engine I am unsure how experienced the mechanic is and if I may have future problems. If anyone has any advice how I can get a new 3 and not worry about replacing the engine I would appreciate it.

netranger6 said:
Check your states' Lemon Law. That's the first thing I would persue.

If it's similar to ours, if your car is in the shop three times for the same problem or in for 30 days, you can invoke the lemon law. Check with your local BBB or look for an attorney that specializes in lemon law.

You musta got a "Friday" car.

Back