New Highlander coming this month with "torque vectoring AWD system" ?

Montanaman

Montana/Arizona
:
2018.5 CX-9 AWD GT
Looks like Toyota is going to be offering a more sophisticated AWD system on the all new Highlander coming out now. I forget what they are calling it but it can split power between the rear wheels and apparently mimics the Honda/Acura AWD system which is very good. I don't yet know if it can send more than 50% of the power to the rear like the Honda. I have the new Ridgeline with that set up and it's brilliant and far exceeds the system in our CX-9 as far as everyday around town driving as well as wet/snow. it just feels like it's aways "on" and you can fell it pushing the rear end through a tight corner.

There's nothing that would move me off the CX-9 at this point and I think the new Highlander is just plain ugly but I found it interesting that they went that far with it. Probably trying to offer something unique in the crowded segment. I think it is only on the very top trim though.

If I lived further north of where I currently am, I would probably prioritize the AWD system more. For my needs, the i-Activ AWD is sufficient. Tires make a big difference too.

Having stated that, Toyota really needed to offer an AWD system that would be perceived to be on par with Honda's SH-AWD since that's really whom Toyota considers their competition is. Hondas are more fun-to-drive, IMO. Although, the recent offerings from Toyota seem to be changing that impression. Also, the Highlander didn't grow in size compared to the Pilot, Hyundai twins and the new Explorer. It stayed comparatively similar to the CX-9 in size, interior-wise. So, the AWD system gives them a bit of an advantage, in addition to their perceived reliability (note that CR considers the CX-9 one of the top 10 reliable cars). I like the upcoming generation compared to the current one. It's a bit more pleasant to look at, IMO, and that AWD system makes it even better. I don't know, I might have considered it if it were out when we bought our 2019 Signature. The Hybrid might be the one I would consider, though.

Just came from a SH-AWD MDX and had an OG RDX. Torque vectoring works, but it feels pretty unnatural. I'm kind of done with all of that...extreme handling is just not a priority for me any more, and they both sucked compared to the G37 I had in between.

Plus, take this for what its worth (some guy on the internet), my main priority was a VIN number that started with J. I am not aware of any other three row crossovers that are actually made in Japan other than the Outlander (yeah...).

AWD on CX-9 should be pretty good for everyday driving (in snow and easier off roading) and for some 1% of extreme circumstances Honda/Acura systems may edge out. Youtube videos on AWD are full of the extreme circumstances as people like to see them - who cares about everyday stuff !! We all know Tires are the MOST important component and both mazda and honda AWD should do good on competent tires. I am not talking about going up steep hill where actual 4wd would be best.

AWD on CX-9 should be pretty good for everyday driving (in snow and easier off roading) and for some 1% of extreme circumstances Honda/Acura systems may edge out. Youtube videos on AWD are full of the extreme circumstances as people like to see them - who cares about everyday stuff !! We all know Tires are the MOST important component and both mazda and honda AWD should do good on competent tires. I am not talking about going up steep hill where actual 4wd would be best.

It's funny - when I lived and worked in Calgary, there was this one steep-ish bridge that I had to cross during my commutes to work and back. A looot of people would get stuck trying to climb the bridge, including trucks and SUVs. I had winter tires on my CX-9 and went up and down like it was nothing.

It's funny - when I lived and worked in Calgary, there was this one steep-ish bridge that I had to cross during my commutes to work and back. A looot of people would get stuck trying to climb the bridge, including trucks and SUVs. I had winter tires on my CX-9 and went up and down like it was nothing.

This, AWD is the most over-rated thing in the car industry. Snow tires have a much larger impact on snow/bad weather driving than AWD does.

I feel the public is better informed now about winter tires, see more than than i recall seeing in past. I'm in Ontario, def some areas here that approach Buffalo type snow events, but in Quebec winter tires are the law. They don't kid around there.

The ditches are full of us Ontario tourists!

The problem is when you are not in a snowy climate for long stretches of time and having a second set of tires is not practical. At that point all you can do is try and have the best All Season tires you can find and hope for the best There's a Continental out now that's suppose to bet very good. Can't remember the name on it. Our OEM Falkens are starting to get a little thin at 18k miles. I don't see then on the car much past 25k miles. They are mediocre at best.

The problem is when you are not in a snowy climate for long stretches of time and having a second set of tires is not practical. At that point all you can do is try and have the best All Season tires you can find and hope for the best There's a Continental out now that's suppose to bet very good. Can't remember the name on it. Our OEM Falkens are starting to get a little thin at 18k miles. I don't see then on the car much past 25k miles. They are mediocre at best.

Don*t forget but we have Nokian all-weather tires that are winter-rated and performs better than all-season or 3-season tires. Have had mine for almost 3 yrs now on my CX9 and they have performed way better than the Falkens during winter...the nice thing too is that you can run it all year long without sacrificing treadwear during summer months. Both my Mazdas have them and been happy with them! They won*t out perform the dedicated full winter tires but a better compromise than having to changeover twice a yr with the added cost and storage

Don*t forget but we have Nokian all-weather tires that are winter-rated and performs better than all-season or 3-season tires. Have had mine for almost 3 yrs now on my CX9 and they have performed way better than the Falkens during winter...the nice thing too is that you can run it all year long without sacrificing treadwear during summer months. Both my Mazdas have them and been happy with them! They won*t out perform the dedicated full winter tires but a better compromise than having to changeover twice a yr with the added cost and storage

I've always just bought X-ice without thinking. but with cx9 they weren't an option, and it's only then did i start to research other options and learn about Nokian. Didn't get them but only read great things. Here in toronto could definitely get away with them, snow is not crazy here.

The more reviews I see on the new Highlander the more happy I am that I didn't wait for it. Don't like the styling at all, the interior room is not that much more and other than a V6 there is nothing that is better in my mind. The top trim interior tries too hard with that giant screen and over-all not that impressed. If I were going to get one I'd have to go with the V6 as all the reviews say the 4 popper that comes with the hybrid is noisy and uninspiring with that CVT.

The top trim interior tries too hard with that giant screen

I can't really figure out why, but I've always liked toyota SUV interiors and I think this one is nice in the brown or beige colour.

Size of Highlander also seems to be a selling point, not too small but not Atlas sized.

CVT is for sure a negative, but with the 6 cyl it's regular tranny.

I think the exterior has been tightened nicely, was a bit angular (in bad way) with last model. Seemed to be aging. but I like the new proportions and curves.

It still is bit too big for me, reviews certainly don't rave about driving dynamics, but they'll sell a ton. It's more appealing to me than a Pilot.

Back