New cx9 owner

Hello all and happy new year,

I am a new owner to a brand new Mazda cx9, and am very happy w the purchase thus far. This I have a few gripes I guess I will post in time, ( better brake options, remote start features w/ oem fob, cargo space, etc. Still learning the car and only put 52 miles on it, lol. Nonetheless Wanted to join a forum to perhaps learn from other experienced and beginners like me.
Would love if anyone can give me any suggestions on the cx9 in any topic that will help me in my ownership of my new baby?
Additionally, I Love to bike and am currently trying to fit a universal mount that I can use to attach my bike racks to the oem cross bars?
If anyone can assist me on that I would greatly appreciate it.

Wish I had a new one (LOL). Mine is a 2011 Grand Touring bought pre-owned last year. My only gripe with this car is the gas mileage around 16-17 around town. But it takes regular, so that helps. But I gave been very pleased with it, feels solid and refined.

Wish I had a new one (LOL). Mine is a 2011 Grand Touring bought pre-owned last year. My only gripe with this car is the gas mileage around 16-17 around town. But it takes regular, so that helps. But I gave been very pleased with it, feels solid and refined.

tyvm. Your style is nice also! Seems like Mazda has been really underrated as far as reliability and quality then.

I am a new owner to a brand new Mazda cx9, and am very happy w the purchase thus far. This I have a few gripes I guess I will post in time, ( better brake options, remote start features w/ oem fob, cargo space, etc. Still learning the car and only put 52 miles on it, lol. Nonetheless Wanted to join a forum to perhaps learn from other experienced and beginners like me.
Would love if anyone can give me any suggestions on the cx9 in any topic that will help me in my ownership of my new baby?
Additionally, I Love to bike and am currently trying to fit a universal mount that I can use to attach my bike racks to the oem cross bars?

Here's a great thread on the Fortin remote start for the 2nd gen CX-9. It allows you to use the OEM keyfob and apparently the install procedure is straightforward and can be DIY'd.

Sorry, I could not find anything on the CX-9 subforum for roof-mounted bike carriers, aside from this thread. The OP ended up going with a hitch-mounted bike rack instead (seems to be the more popular option with the CX-9).

There are a few How-To guides for the CX-9 in the Resources section (accessed via the Resources tab at the top of the page).

Welcome to the club. I don't think I have seen many CX-9s with roof mounted racks. And on the Thule web-site, they don't have any options for the CX-9. Highly recommend a hitch and one of the hitch racks like 1-up.

Attachments

• IMG_6006.jpg
    IMG_6006.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 198
Here's a great thread on the Fortin remote start for the 2nd gen CX-9. It allows you to use the OEM keyfob and apparently the install procedure is straightforward and can be DIY'd.

Sorry, I could not find anything on the CX-9 subforum for roof-mounted bike carriers, aside from this thread. The OP ended up going with a hitch-mounted bike rack instead (seems to be the more popular option with the CX-9).

There are a few How-To guides for the CX-9 in the Resources section (accessed via the Resources tab at the top of the page).

I can’t thank you enough for the information. No need to apologize for anything. Am great full for the information. I have heard about this brand and will look into it further definitely. I’m only weary about ruining any warranty considering the dealership I purchased the cx9 is a bit shady since I’m still waiting forseveral things promised including the additional factory fob. As for the bike rack i purchased Yakima universal mighty mounts to try to see. Otherwise I’ll consider a trailer hitch mount.

Welcome to the club. I don't think I have seen many CX-9s with roof mounted racks. And on the Thule web-site, they don't have any options for the CX-9. Highly recommend a hitch and one of the hitch racks like 1-up.

Tyvm for all. Appreciate that. Your cx9 look sweet. Yeah I've looked into it as well and seen only a few and those whom I’ve found and asked never heard back from them. Plus I don’t want to want to pay for a new rack.
I like the trailer hitch racks and it looks nice on your cx9. Did you get yours from the dealer? Mine didn’t come w one. Would a trailer hitch from eBay be sufficient and would it require the wiring harness?
I am weary about any wiring cause the dealership I purchased it from is shady and and still waiting things I was promised from them in the 3 weeks I’ve owned the cx9. Plus don’t want to ruin the warranty unless it can do without the harness.

If you are running regular in the Duratec 37, it will start to cold ping at some point. Use a bottle of seafoam every 5k or so with about 3/4 tank of 89 or premium fuel and it will clear out the carbon deposits. At least that has been my experience. Love the v6 motor if it weren't for this waterpump worry...

Tyvm for all. Appreciate that. Your cx9 look sweet. Yeah I've looked into it as well and seen only a few and those whom I’ve found and asked never heard back from them. Plus I don’t want to want to pay for a new rack.
I like the trailer hitch racks and it looks nice on your cx9. Did you get yours from the dealer? Mine didn’t come w one. Would a trailer hitch from eBay be sufficient and would it require the wiring harness?
I am weary about any wiring cause the dealership I purchased it from is shady and and still waiting things I was promised from them in the 3 weeks I’ve owned the cx9. Plus don’t want to ruin the warranty unless it can do without the harness.

I actually wanted to have my dealer install it but he would not do it. Said that Mazda will charge me close to $500 while the local guy will do it for less than $200 and put on a better hitch. He was right.
Having a third party hitch won't ruin the warranty so don't worry about that.

The bike rack I have is a little expensive (1up) but the best rack I have ever had. Incredibly easy to put on and take off and really easy to operate. You can buy one rack to start and add a second tray at any time.

Congratulations!! I bought 2019 CX9 for my wife about 3 weeks ago as well and we love it. I was looking for a CX5 as a daily commuter but ended up getting CX9 for her.

if you are not planning to tow boat or trailer then wiring harness isn’t necessary. I installed a tow hitch myself ( I am not very handy) on my QX60 last year. I am planning to do the same on CX9 as weather warms up a bit.

i bought mine from etrailer.com they do have detailed installation videos for each hitch they carry check it out etrailer.com CX9

I also made a wooden ramp to elevate my QX60, made it much easier to work under the vehicle.
2A2C3B5D-C9C0-4389-B693-77BA8E07C1DF.jpeg

Congratulations!! I bought 2019 CX9 for my wife about 3 weeks ago as well and we love it. I was looking for a CX5 as a daily commuter but ended up getting CX9 for her.

if you are not planning to tow boat or trailer then wiring harness isn’t necessary. I installed a tow hitch myself ( I am not very handy) on my QX60 last year. I am planning to do the same on CX9 as weather warms up a bit.

i bought mine from etrailer.com they do have detailed installation videos for each hitch they carry check it out etrailer.com CX9

I also made a wooden ramp to elevate my QX60, made it much easier to work under the vehicle.
View attachment 222366
Dude that is genius. How has that cvt treated you? I crossed the qx60 off my shopping list from what I heard about failing cvts on qx60s. Has yours behaved?

If you are running regular in the Duratec 37, it will start to cold ping at some point. Use a bottle of seafoam every 5k or so with about 3/4 tank of 89 or premium fuel and it will clear out the carbon deposits. At least that has been my experience. Love the v6 motor if it weren't for this waterpump worry...

Ok

I actually wanted to have my dealer install it but he would not do it. Said that Mazda will charge me close to $500 while the local guy will do it for less than $200 and put on a better hitch. He was right.
Having a third party hitch won't ruin the warranty so don't worry about that.

The bike rack I have is a little expensive (1up) but the best rack I have ever had. Incredibly easy to put on and take off and really easy to operate. You can buy one rack to start and add a second tray at any time.

yeah the dealership chargers a fortune w theirs and I was also looking into the strainer one and saw their YouTube video on how to which doesn’t seem to bad. But if anything when I get the trailer I’ll take it to my mechanic and have him do it for me. I won’t pay more than 200 to have it installed. Tyvm. Which bike rack company is your if you don’t mind me asking. I would like a quality one also because my bikes are expensive and would like to have it protected as much as possible. Your looks solid

View attachment 222366

tyvm for the welcome and information. Appreciate it. I definitely will not be trailing a boat and glad I don’t need a harness. Was actually looking at the etrailer model and like it. Going to buy one by next week. Glad your happy w your cx9 purchase and bet your wife is thrilled also. My sister has the qx60, she hates it lol. But I hope your enjoying yours well and get the most out of it. Love the pic w the ramp ingenuity you have their. That’s awesome. Tyvm again and hope I can chime on your threads if u do one on the install of your trailer hitch. I’ll also wait until it get warmer though.

View attachment 222366
Off topic but I like your trim stones around the interlock. It's a nice combo.

Dude that is genius. How has that cvt treated you? I crossed the qx60 off my shopping list from what I heard about failing cvts on qx60s. Has yours behaved?
Thanks. I actually had 2011 Murano before which had regular CVT, that did have droning effect when pushed. Occasionally on certain risky maneuvers such as getting on an incline from stopped position could result in so slow movement I had near missed situation when turning on a street with uphill and someone coming from side road. That made me quite nervous at times.

My QX60 has the “stepped” CVT so while it is a typical CVT they have programmed it to mimic shifts. I don’t know if it is that or something else but I haven’t come across that Murano like behavior in 3 years of ownership. I also noticed people don’t complain about this version of CVT on 2016 QX60 and newer (on qx60 forum) 2013-15 had plenty of issues I believe those were similar to what I had experienced with Murano.

It is loaded with tech (no ACP though), bigger inside with relatively more cargo space, panoramic moonroof, so I love it, but I fight every chance to drive the CX9 since it is so fun to drive versus the QX60. Who knows I may just trade it for a loaded CX5 ;)

Last edited:
It is loaded with tech (no ACP though), bigger inside with relatively more cargo space, panoramic moonroof, so I love it, but I fight every chance to drive the CX9 since it is so fun to drive versus the QX60. Who knows I may just trade it for a loaded CX5 ;)

Definitely right about the cargo space as I compared my cx9 to my sisters qx60. The panoramic roof is a nice incentive as well which idk why Mazda hasn’t changed it ( guess for there safety ratings). Think Mazda has more features overall in tech etc. My sister thinks it’s a gas guzzler but remind her of her husband lx470 which is almost like a hummer as far as gas economy goes lol. As long as your satisfied w it is what count at days end. That would be nice if you switched to a cx5 or give that to your wife and take the cx9 😊

Back