New CX-9 owner

Flatlandcoug

:
2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD
Greetings!

My wife and I just purchased a "new" 2018 CX-9 Signature AWD earlier in the week. It's technically my wife's vehicle but I'll end up putting a lot of miles on it too. We're pretty happy because between the trade-in of our 13 year old Mustang GT and the money we were able to talk them down, we got the vehicle for $17,100 under MSRP. The vehicle is great, drives terrific and I can see why so many people think it's the best SUV in it's class. The only real disappointment so far is the realization that the dealer somehow lost the serial number card for the Mazda Mobile Start and we have to leave the vehicle with them at some point to get the number pulled from the ECU, which is free but inconvenient. However, I've read that the Mazda Mobile Start sucks anyway and that I'm better off foregoing it and having the dealer install a more traditional key fob start. Any thoughts on that?

Also, the dealer has offered to install the retrofit kit for Apple CarPlay for the cost of the retrofit kit (no labor). I've never used CarPlay before but I was wondering if anyone had a strong opinion of Mazda Connect vs Apple CarPlay? It'll cost me a couple hundred bucks to have the dealer install it based on the kit price.

I'm interested in hearing about any tips and tricks that forum members have discovered over time so fire away if you've got 'em.

Greetings!

My wife and I just purchased a "new" 2018 CX-9 Signature AWD earlier in the week. It's technically my wife's vehicle but I'll end up putting a lot of miles on it too. We're pretty happy because between the trade-in of our 13 year old Mustang GT and the money we were able to talk them down, we got the vehicle for $17,100 under MSRP. The vehicle is great, drives terrific and I can see why so many people think it's the best SUV in it's class. The only real disappointment so far is the realization that the dealer somehow lost the serial number card for the Mazda Mobile Start and we have to leave the vehicle with them at some point to get the number pulled from the ECU, which is free but inconvenient. However, I've read that the Mazda Mobile Start sucks anyway and that I'm better off foregoing it and having the dealer install a more traditional key fob start. Any thoughts on that?

Also, the dealer has offered to install the retrofit kit for Apple CarPlay for the cost of the retrofit kit (no labor). I've never used CarPlay before but I was wondering if anyone had a strong opinion of Mazda Connect vs Apple CarPlay? It'll cost me a couple hundred bucks to have the dealer install it based on the kit price.

I'm interested in hearing about any tips and tricks that forum members have discovered over time so fire away if you've got 'em.

Congrats on your new purchase!

Yes better install after market remote starter with fob than the Mazda mobile where you*ll also have to pay a yearly sub.

As for AA/AC yes it*s a useful feature to have and worth the up charge especially for resell value in future...cheers!

Congrats!

For the aftermarket remote start, Fortin Evo One with their T-harness, plug and play install. You don't have to go to the dealer for this, and it uses the OEM fob.

I got a dealer used ( sold as "new") 2018 and part of the deal was they did the Apple Carplay retro fit at no additional charge. I would have paid for it as well. It is the single biggest thing that critics used agains this car so it's a no brainer to get it especially for resale. Plus once you start using WAZE and Google maps you'll never use the factory Nav again.

Highly recommend CarPlay. It is not perfect but it is substantially better than the stock system.

Sounds like you got a good deal, congrats! I would also suggest getting AA/ACP, it's a small upfront cost that will increase the resale value down the road, at the very least. I'd also suggest an aftermarket remote start, the Fortin one previously suggested would be my go to, mainly because I don't want to have to carry an extra key fob.

Just an aside---"new" means never registered. The original title paperwork is the manufacturer's certificate of origin. That's what is transferred to the state agency when the "new" car is bought (by your or your lessor) and the state title is issued. Once the first state title is issued the car is not longer "new."

Just an aside---"new" means never registered. The original title paperwork is the manufacturer's certificate of origin. That's what is transferred to the state agency when the "new" car is bought (by your or your lessor) and the state title is issued. Once the first state title is issued the car is not longer "new."

Yeah, this one was considered "new" because it hadn't ever been titled to anyone. The dealership that originally purchased it went out of business and it was transferred to the dealership that I purchased it from. My local dealership ended up with three 2018 Signature AWD CX-9's that had been sitting around for a while.

BTW, I had to have the first "repair" performed on my CX-9 already. While test driving it, I noticed that we couldn't enter the address using voice commands but had forgotten about it when we were discussing the purchase with the dealer. After buying it, we realized it still didn't work. It kept saying "entering destination by voice commands is not available at this time". Called the salesman and he said that he'd never heard of that but to bring it in when we got a chance. Instead, I did some looking on the internet and the TSB solution was to simply update the SD card to the most current maps. Downloaded the Mazda toolbox off the internet, popped the SD card into my laptop and ran the program. About 10 minutes later, it was done. Popped the updated card into the vehicle and the problem was gone.

Yeah, this one was considered "new" because it hadn't ever been titled to anyone. The dealership that originally purchased it went out of business and it was transferred to the dealership that I purchased it from. My local dealership ended up with three 2018 Signature AWD CX-9's that had been sitting around for a while.

Where is this dealership? I'm looking into getting CX-9 as we are expecting 3rd child this August.

Where is this dealership? I'm looking into getting CX-9 as we are expecting 3rd child this August.

Not the person you are replying to, but Continental Mazda in Naperville, IL has this 2019 GT AWD that is currently serving on their loaner fleet. From email conversations with a sales rep, it will come out of the fleet and sold as a CPO on April 28th.

Otherwise, my local Mazda dealer has this 2019 GT AWD that is a demo car. It had ~5.6k miles when I looked at it and since it was never titled it is still considered brand new.

Good luck on your search. Be sure to check out the Pricing thread so you can get an idea on how much people pay.

Not the person you are replying to, but Continental Mazda in Naperville, IL has this 2019 GT AWD that is currently serving on their loaner fleet. From email conversations with a sales rep, it will come out of the fleet and sold as a CPO on April 28th.

Otherwise, my local Mazda dealer has this 2019 GT AWD that is a demo car. It had ~5.6k miles when I looked at it and since it was never titled it is still considered brand new.

Good luck on your search. Be sure to check out the Pricing thread so you can get an idea on how much people pay.
Hey thank you so much for your reply. I will check out those vehicle!

The dealership we purchased from is Davis-Moore Mazda in Wichita. They were good to work with but the price negotiation was a little bit of a knife fight and I had some luck in my efforts. Premier Mazda in the Kansas City area has a couple really appealing CPO 2018 CX-9's that were priced really well when we bought ours.....but strangely, they raised the price on them a couple days after we made our purchase. Mazda has a very, very aggressive CPO warranty so I would have had no qualms buying a CPO if we couldn't have gotten the "new" deal to work out.

The dealership we purchased from is Davis-Moore Mazda in Wichita. They were good to work with but the price negotiation was a little bit of a knife fight and I had some luck in my efforts. Premier Mazda in the Kansas City area has a couple really appealing CPO 2018 CX-9's that were priced really well when we bought ours.....but strangely, they raised the price on them a couple days after we made our purchase. Mazda has a very, very aggressive CPO warranty so I would have had no qualms buying a CPO if we couldn't have gotten the "new" deal to work out.

Thanks for your reply, definely cheaper than my local dealer here in Iowa.

Back