New CX-5 with a cracked windshield

2 weeks for OEM, that's not good Did you drive it during that time and were you afraid of it getting bigger?

Same spot is suspicious..
More like 3+ weeks. Yes I drove it, not so worried about it getting bigger but if it had I probably would have been more careful.

In my case the crack was caused by a small rock ding about 1" from the edge of the glass, otherwise I would have made a warranty claim with Mazda rather than used insurance to pay for the replacement.

I would not let Safelite anywhere near my car. Spend the $200 on OE glass and insist on a competent installer.

Yes, there is a camera for lane departure warnings and maybe more applications. Safelite recalibrated the camera after replacing the windshield.

Keep us updated if any problems come up. I've read a few posts of the recalibration not working with Safelite but those were posts from a few years ago. My 2019 GT windshield has a few cosmetic scratches and 1 sub surface bullseye rain drop looking crack. Was thinking of getting the windshield replaced soon but still unsure of letting Safelite touch it.

It depends :)
some safelite shops can do good, others can do bad. It all depends on the particular shop and person doing it. The quality is variable with so many shops and large business. You never know.
Thats why some people are happy others not so much.
At the end they will do the job but if you have some local smaller business specialized sometimes may be better option.

why do you think this? The crack is on passenger side, started near the edge

1CDE47D3-EAC5-4585-995C-1F84DD882738.jpeg
IMO there’s no way to repair this long split damage on windshield. Usually rock chip damage such as bullseyes, stars, and combination breaks, can be fixed if the rock chip area is smaller than 1¼”. Any thing larger than that is not repairable. The repair involves drilling of a hole :oops: at the cracked area and filling the hole with resin. Yes I had this guy coming over and fixed a rock crack on my 1998 Honda CR-V and I watched it. The result is excellent.

When to Repair Auto Glass

2 weeks for OEM, that's not good Did you drive it during that time and were you afraid of it getting bigger?

Same spot is suspicious..
The picture clearly showed a rock or sharp object hit the right edge of the split line where you can see a star crack. One of the cracked line keeps growing to the left and now it’s too late to repair.

The picture clearly showed a rock or sharp object hit the right edge of the split line where you can see a star crack. One of the cracked line keeps growing to the left and now it’s too late to repair.
she has appointment later today. Insurance says cracks less than 6"(as does your link) are repairable. This one is 5"..we shall see.

She just got the news, not repairable as some thought. Good news is that she can get OEM within a week, but they have to run the VIN tomorrow to be sure..too late in the day they said..lol

She just got the news, not repairable as some thought. Good news is that she can get OEM within a week, but they have to run the VIN tomorrow to be sure..too late in the day they said..lol
After I’d seen how the guy fixed the crack I had on the CR-V windshield, I really don’t know how is that possible to fix the 5” long line crack, drilling a series of holes along the line? ;)

When safelite did replaced my windshield, I must say the guy did do an excellent job. It was on a Santa Fe, so the shape isn't the same as the CX-5 so my replacement experience is probably irrelevant. But I wouldn't have a problem having them do the replacement. That is all they do, all day long.

If you apply crack sealer along the crack it should wick into the crack. You can drill a small hole at the end of a crack to try to stop it. You need a small diamond bit. If you can wick enough stuff into the crack it can stabilize it and visibility should be pretty good but the crack won't be invisible.

I thought many or most insurance companies skip the deductable for a windshield replacement. What kind Insurance company? Ed

I have found it depends on your state laws. FL required insurers to replace windshields with no deductible. I moved to AL and now windshield damage falls under comprehensive coverage with associated deductible. I had Progressive in both states.

Yeah I live in CA and windshield replacement falls under comprehensive. I have mercury and my deductible is $500.

For $18 more a year, my D can get 0 deductible for glass. She drives mostly highway and it seems maybe the glass cracks more easily than it should. I've had multiple rocks make a small star size crack over the years on various vehicles, but never spread. Maybe it was just bad luck, but $18 more a year might be worth it in her case.

I have glass coverage on my vehicles and it's a no cost repair/replacement. I think up to 2 every year for each vehicle. In my 25 years of driving I think I've only had 3-4 windshield replacements done and only 1 per vehicle.

I'm also not surprised they replaced the windshield. That crack was way too long to repair.

Back