New CX-5 with a cracked windshield

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
She just got the news, not repairable as some thought. Good news is that she can get OEM within a week, but they have to run the VIN tomorrow to be sure..too late in the day they said..lol
After I’d seen how the guy fixed the crack I had on the CR-V windshield, I really don’t know how is that possible to fix the 5” long line crack, drilling a series of holes along the line? ;)

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
When safelite did replaced my windshield, I must say the guy did do an excellent job. It was on a Santa Fe, so the shape isn't the same as the CX-5 so my replacement experience is probably irrelevant. But I wouldn't have a problem having them do the replacement. That is all they do, all day long.

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
Guys with dinged up windshields, if they are minor you may as well wait to do a replacement. A dinged up windshield never gets a rock hit. But put on a brand new shiny OEM windshield, a rock will find it :confused:

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
If you apply crack sealer along the crack it should wick into the crack. You can drill a small hole at the end of a crack to try to stop it. You need a small diamond bit. If you can wick enough stuff into the crack it can stabilize it and visibility should be pretty good but the crack won't be invisible.

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto
I thought many or most insurance companies skip the deductable for a windshield replacement. What kind Insurance company? Ed

I have found it depends on your state laws. FL required insurers to replace windshields with no deductible. I moved to AL and now windshield damage falls under comprehensive coverage with associated deductible. I had Progressive in both states.

Yeah I live in CA and windshield replacement falls under comprehensive. I have mercury and my deductible is $500.

For $18 more a year, my D can get 0 deductible for glass. She drives mostly highway and it seems maybe the glass cracks more easily than it should. I've had multiple rocks make a small star size crack over the years on various vehicles, but never spread. Maybe it was just bad luck, but $18 more a year might be worth it in her case.

:
2014 Ford Explorer Sport, 2009 CX9(Wife's)
I have glass coverage on my vehicles and it's a no cost repair/replacement. I think up to 2 every year for each vehicle. In my 25 years of driving I think I've only had 3-4 windshield replacements done and only 1 per vehicle.

I'm also not surprised they replaced the windshield. That crack was way too long to repair.

HardRightEdg

US 2020 CX-5 Touring AWD Soul Red
A word on camera recalibration when a windshield is replaced. That Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) is involved in a lot of functions as described in the 2020 owners manual:

"The Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) detects lane indications and recognizes headlights,
taillights and city lights during nighttime driving. In addition, it also detects the vehicle
ahead, pedestrians, or obstructions. The following systems also use the Forward Sensing
Camera (FSC).

 High Beam Control system (HBC)
 Lane-keep Assist System (LAS) & Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS)
 Traffic Sign Recognition System (TSR)
 Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go function (MRCC with Stop & Go function)
 Advanced Smart City Brake Support (Advanced SCBS)
 Smart City Brake Support (SCBS)
 Smart Brake Support (SBS)

The Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) is installed at the top of the windshield near the
rearview mirror.

Refer to Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) on page 4-207."

If the car is equiped with rain sensing wipers add that to the list of systems that might be affected.

However and by whoever a winshield is replaced, be sure to promptly check out as many of these systems as possible after the repair is complete. You don't want to find out months later something isn't working right and have the repair shop claim no responsibility.

Obviously, the brake support systems and pedestrian detection should not be tested lest they don't work and you slam into something or somebody. Radar Cruise Control with Stop and Go should be tested with the max following distance setting in case it does not slow the vehicle. I believe the Traffic Sign Recognition is included only with the heads up display. If everything you can test is working fine, then the auto braking functions are probably fine too.

For this windshild, insurance permitting and if there is no difference in out-of-pocket cost, I'd want the OEM windshield with installation done by a Mazda dealer or the body shop they use. Better to have the potentially tricky business of camera recalibration done by somebody who's been around the block with like vehicles. An older car where all you're doing is replacing a piece of glass? I'd have no problem using Safelite; I've used them in the past without issue.

Last edited:
update: windshield being replaced Saturday..BUT on the way to work this morning the exact same thing happened on the driver's side, a crack on the edge. She said she wasn't behind any trucks and no road work going on. Seems odd that it could happen 2 times in 2 weeks and both cracks starting on the edges.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
update: windshield being replaced Saturday..BUT on the way to work this morning the exact same thing happened on the driver's side, a crack on the edge. She said she wasn't behind any trucks and no road work going on. Seems odd that it could happen 2 times in 2 weeks and both cracks starting on the edges.
Wow that’s really unfortunate! Take a close-up picture of the crack and post here. Contact Safelite (?) immediately and express the same concern. Hopefully they have some sort of free replacement warranty for newly installed windshield if there’s no obvious sign of rock-hitting.

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M

One of the cracks on my windshield appeared suddenly and also near the edge. I wasn't following anyone but I did find a tiny speck that indicated where the crack started.
That crack, on the passenger side, stopped after I applied some clear RainX resin.

Wow that’s really unfortunate! Take a close-up picture of the crack and post here. Contact Safelite (?) immediately and express the same concern. Hopefully they have some sort of free replacement warranty for newly installed windshield if there’s no obvious sign of rock-hitting.
no, the original cracked windshield has not been replaced yet, on order..OEM. This crack is on driver's side edge. So strange, looks to be same location, opposite side.
First Pic is new crack, 2nd pic is crack that happened about 2 weeks ago. What are the odds of 2 rocks hitting the very edge of the windshield on both sides causing about 6" cracks?

Attachments

• crack2.jpg
    crack2.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 69
  • crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 71

Latest posts