New CX-5 - When Should I really get my first oil change?

First oil change should be at whatever mileage makes you feel comfortable, but not to exceed 7500 miles or 12 months.

I think the SEVERE service mileage is good for the first oil change.
Yes, and I did my first oil change at 5,000 miles with 30% oil life remaining based on maintenance monitor.

You'd think if there was significant merit in performing the first oil change earlier than normal, Mazda would recommend doing so.
Agreed.

Back in the old days, all car manufactures recommended 1,000-mile early first oil change, and said so in maintenance schedule.

And Honda specifically stated in owner!s manual “Break-in Period” section “Do not change the oil until the recommended time or mileage interval shown in the maintenance schedule.” because Honda believes keeping their special moly-rich break-in oil in the new engine for 7,500 miles is very important, hence the warning.

An engine is broken in within 1k miles. There are no special additives in factory fill oil. It's the same oil use use when changed. Honda says not to replace it simply because they don't want think public to think they are high maintenance vehicles AND because they want to appeal to all who are environmentally conscious, not because they have special factory fill oil. It's all a marketing facade and image thing.

An engine is broken in within 1k miles. There are no special additives in factory fill oil. It's the same oil use use when changed. Honda says not to replace it simply because they don't want think public to think they are high maintenance vehicles AND because they want to appeal to all who are environmentally conscious, not because they have special factory fill oil. It's all a marketing facade and image thing.
If you do the Google search about this topic, most car enthusiasts have agreed Honda does use special break-in oil on factory fill based on the UOA. One less early oil change simply can’t make consumers believing the maintenance cost is low. Besides, all other car manufactures have similar oil change interval nowadays without specifying an early first oil change, just like Honda.

Bob Is the Oil Guy - Claims that Honda use a "Special Break-in Oil"

You should be changing your oil every 4 to 5k miles max with full synthetic regardless of what the manufacturer says or recommends in the manual. Of course they want you to wait longer so things can wear out faster and you can be in the service dept with no warranty paying $$$ on worn out parts or simply purchase a new vehicle Instead. Most car makers have designed vehicles with planned obsolescence. They are a disposable commodity and all manufacturers simply want your money.

You should be changing your oil every 4 to 5k miles max with full synthetic regardless of what the manufacturer says or recommends in the manual. Of course they want you to wait longer so things can wear out faster and you can be in the service dept with no warranty paying $$$ on worn out parts or simply purchase a new vehicle Instead. Most car makers have designed vehicles with planned obsolescence. They are a disposable commodity and all manufacturers simply want your money.
That's just silly. Are you from the time where 3k mile oil changes were a thing? Engines today, with 7.5k-10k oil change intervals, last many times longer than older engines that got 3k mile oil changes. Hell, Mazda's oil change interval in Europe for the same engines as here, is at 20k km (12.4k miles).

That's just silly. Are you from the time where 3k mile oil changes were a thing? Engines today, with 7.5k-10k oil change intervals, last many times longer than older engines that got 3k mile oil changes. Hell, Mazda's oil change interval in Europe for the same engines as here, is at 20k km (12.4k miles).
Then you can go ahead and repair your vehicle sooner. Oil is cheap, engines are not. It's the dirt in the oil that causes wear and with today's DI and turbos, it is more critical than ever to religiously change your oils, unless you have disposable income and dont care because you buy or lease a new one every 3 years.

Yes, and my 2000 BMW 528i has up to 17,500-mile Flexible oil chang interval with oil life monitor! We haven’t heard many engine failures in Europe because of the long oil usage. And based on UOA posted here, we can easily to go over 10,000 miles with a good full synthetic oil. Motor oil has been improved so much now we have the latest SP/GF-6 standard. We need to look at the science, not based on past experience.

Then you can go ahead and repair your vehicle sooner. Oil is cheap, engines are not. It's the dirt in the oil that causes wear and with today's DI and turbos, it is more critical than ever to religiously change your oils, unless you have disposable income and dont care because you buy or lease a new one every 3 years.
Dirt in oil? That’s the good OEM oil filter there for. Environmental concerns are the main reason why Europe has been using long OCI and flexible OCI. It had been discussed here before, almost a half of the used oil collected in the US is burned off-shore instead of actually recycled.

Yes, and my 2000 BMW 528i has up to 17,500-mile Flexible oil chang interval with oil life monitor! We haven’t heard many engine failures in Europe because of the long oil usage. And based on UOA posted here, we can easily to go over 10,000 miles with a good full synthetic oil. Motor oil has been improved so much now we have the latest SP/GF-6 standard. We need to look at the science, not based on past experience.
Hate to break it to you but bmws are the biggest rolling pieces of garbage produced which is why their resale value is trash after 3 years. Everyone knows it so if you own one and are going by what your car monitor, you again are naive. Everyone dumps a BMW after warranty and you only lease them if you are smart, but then again most have no clue. Btw European laws dictate longer change intervals, not because the cars and do it, but rather they have strict environmental standards for pollution.

Last edited:
Dirt in oil? That’s the good OEM oil filter there for. Environmental concerns are the main reason why Europe has been using long OCI and flexible OCI. It had been discussed here before, almost a half of the used oil collected in the US is burned off-shore instead of actually recycled.
Yes, dirt combustion by products like carbon in the oil which is why it looks dirty and can't be filtered out by an oil filter. That dirt is friction that destroys bearings, cams,lifters,rods and cranks amongst other things like seals. Again, oil is cheap, engines are not.

Side note...A quick reminder to keep threads On-Topic, Mazda related and constructive (even if there is disagreement). Thanks.

When you drain the original oil out I'd be interested in how much comes out. Some Mazdas may have a variation in the level on the dipstick or the amount of oil required to refill.

When you drain the original oil out I'd be interested in how much comes out. Some Mazdas may have a variation in the level on the dipstick or the amount of oil required to refill.
Thank you for trying to bring this thread back on topic.

Off-Topic posts made after my first reminder have been removed.

Another reminder for everyone, this thread regarding the CX-5 is asking...

When should I really get my first oil change?

My advice is let the car tell you. Set oil change interval to flexible when you first get the car and when its time (based on driving/miles/time) the car will tell you. I did that when we first got our 2018 CX5 and it came up to change the oil at ~6,000 miles.

I did my first oil + filter change at 2000Km on the 2.5T. The engine does feel smoother now, but that might be the thicker oil (still 5W-30, just thicker) and the fact that it's more broken in.

Mazda simply recommends that "dealers follow the scheduled maintenance tables as cited in the vehicle-specific workshop manual or owner's manual. Services performed outside of Mazda's factory scheduled maintenance are not recommended. These services are unnecessary and create unneeded expenses for your customers."

In general, they say:

1. Don't flush the engine oil, transmission fluid, or engine coolant.
2. Don't use engine oil or transmission fluid additives.
3. Don't clean the injectors.
4. Don't use nitrogen in the tires (Honda says this, too, but almost every dealer does it).
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, zroger.

Would your opinion on when to do the first oil change differ if the first two oil changes/tire rotations were included free with purchase, but only within a 12-month period? I was thinking based on that, to just get the oil change done at 6 months and then at 12 months, which will probably be less than 5K miles OCI with covid and working from home.

I printed off the service bulletin for the next time the dealership tries to sell me one of the non-recommended services. On a previous vehicle, I've had them try to sell me gasoline additives and fuel injector cleaning, which are not in the manual, while questioning why I wanted the spark plugs changed, which is in the manual.

Back