New CX-5 GTR - Odd Brake Pedal Vibration only in Sport Mode

:
2020 CX-5 GTR
Today my new GTR crossed over 600 miles so I decided to mess with some things for the first time. I had refrained from putting it into sport mode because I was trying to limit higher than necessary Revs during the quasi recommended 'break-in period'.

I flipped the SPORT MODE switch on . It is a nice effect but while Sport Mode was enabled, I felt something odd which I had not felt prior.

There was a rapid vibration in the brake pedal (most noticable when letting off throttle in 3000 RPM range and foot on brake ). It was not an irregular pulsing but a fairly constant rapid vibration (like the feel of a cell phone vibrating.) The vibration felt pretty consistent even as the RPM's slowed while braking to a stop.

When I switched off Sport Mode I could not elicit any sign of vibration in the brake pedal.

I have been driving the heck out of this thing and racked up over 600 miles on it. I have a lot of hours under my belt for having only had the car 2 weeks. There has been absolutely no odd sensations in the pedal up until tonigh when playing with Sport Mode. I can recreate the problem repeatedly . Sport mode on- vibration .... Sport mode off - normal brake feel without vibrations.

Couldn't find too much related to this and maybe it is just happening with GTR and Signatures because they have turbo.

I found a post on another mazda forum coming from an owner with a 2019 GTR describing the exact same thing - vibration in Sport mode through brake pedal most noticeably at around 3000 rpm then gone when out of sport mode. Also a Mazda 3 owner described the same anomaly. The GTR owner said he ran it by the Mazda and they said it was normal. Not sure exactly who mazda was in his case - dealer or corporate.

I'd like to hear if anyone else has this with there CX-5. Curious too your vehicle is non-turbo or if it is turbo.

Thank you all in advance !

Steve

I have 3 Mazdas with sport mode. I used it often. Never had the problem you described. Since the mode only changes transmission gear selection, I would guess something is off in the AT control module. A trip to the dealer seems unavoidable. It's definitely not normal. Insist on getting it fixed. If the dealer refuses, call MazdaUSA and give your dealer 0 rating next chance you get. :)

Today my new GTR crossed over 600 miles so I decided to mess with some things for the first time. I had refrained from putting it into sport mode because I was trying to limit higher than necessary Revs during the quasi recommended 'break-in period'.

I flipped the SPORT MODE switch on . It is a nice effect but while Sport Mode was enabled, I felt something odd which I had not felt prior.

There was a rapid vibration in the brake pedal (most noticable when letting off throttle in 3000 RPM range and foot on brake ). It was not an irregular pulsing but a fairly constant rapid vibration (like the feel of a cell phone vibrating.) The vibration felt pretty consistent even as the RPM's slowed while braking to a stop.

When I switched off Sport Mode I could not elicit any sign of vibration in the brake pedal.

I have been driving the heck out of this thing and racked up over 600 miles on it. I have a lot of hours under my belt for having only had the car 2 weeks. There has been absolutely no odd sensations in the pedal up until tonigh when playing with Sport Mode. I can recreate the problem repeatedly . Sport mode on- vibration .... Sport mode off - normal brake feel without vibrations.

Couldn't find too much related to this and maybe it is just happening with GTR and Signatures because they have turbo.

I found a post on another mazda forum coming from an owner with a 2019 GTR describing the exact same thing - vibration in Sport mode through brake pedal most noticeably at around 3000 rpm then gone when out of sport mode. Also a Mazda 3 owner described the same anomaly. The GTR owner said he ran it by the Mazda and they said it was normal. Not sure exactly who mazda was in his case - dealer or corporate.

I'd like to hear if anyone else has this with there CX-5. Curious too your vehicle is non-turbo or if it is turbo.

Thank you all in advance !

Steve
@Steve88 I’ve had my 2021 CX-5 signature for a couple of weeks. I felt the same when putting it in sport mode on freeway. Have you figured anything out? What Mazda or dealership told you? Is there any fix?

Can you recreate the vibration by putting the car into manual mode, then shifting up into 3rd and accelerating to 3k RPM, then placing your foot on the brake to see if you can feel the vibrations?

If you can, my guess is that the vibrations are coming from the RPM of the engine. When the car is in Sport, the transmission holds the gear it's in and will shift at higher RPMs than normal. It wants to hold the gear to stay "wound up". With Sport mode off, you might not notice it because the RPMs don't hang around that high once you start braking.

Alternatively, you can test drive a different GT Reserve at your local dealership to see if you can recreate the issue. If you can't recreate it, you can get the dealer to investigate. And if you can recreate it, a service tech may be able to explain what's happening more clearly.

Bringing this back up from the depths, but I have this too. My guess is, it is a normal function as the RPMs hang in the rev band longer and it translates to the brake pedal vibrating as you brake. I'm going to the dealership next Wednesday for something else unrelated and i'll ask while i'm there. Found some other random threads along the internet complaining of the same thing but no one having a dealership confirm its normal. Based on my driving experience and the fact the car is completely normal otherwise, I'm guessing it's just how the pedal feels when the revs are up in the band and hanging there. I have 318 miles on the car lol.

I drove my car this morning and i wanted to add to my previous post. So, it happens in ALL situations where the RPMs climb above 3k. Sport + Automatic, Sport + manual and Normal + manual. The only situation where it doesn't is Normal + automatic where the shifts points are quick and lower in the rev band and you don't notice it. Even if you simply rev the car in neutral and rest your foot on the brake (no need to depress it) you feel like engine vibration through the pedal.

Again, I'm getting this checked next week but since it happens in ALL situations where the car revs higher in the band, I'm guessing it's normal. It's not like you will notice it if your foot doesn't come into contact with the brake while the car is revving past a certain point.

Just got back from the dealership. They say everything is functioning normally and that the "vibration" is in fact engine RPM higher in the rev band that i'm feeling through the brake pedal and it is "normal, and normal function of the car." Service guy said the manager drove it, and drove another 2.5t and said they functioned the same although they wouldn't let me test drive one for myself. 🤷‍♂️
So thats that...at least it's documented so if anything happens....

Back