New CX-5 GT-R Owner

Hi All,

Long time lurker, new member but not new to Mazda (had a 2010 Mazda3 that my dad now drives, with corksport exhaust and short ram intake, GF drives a 2015 Mazda3 iTouring). I just bought a 2019 CX-5 GT-R. It was a CPO model with a little under 900 miles on the odometer. It was owned previously by an employee of the dealer who only traded it in to buy a 2020 signature with the new financing options during COVID.

I've always admired the CX-5 since the first generation and had actually been wanting to buy one back in 2015, but I ended up getting a really good deal on a BMW X1 lease at the time and had been in luxury land until recently. I most recently was in a 2016 Lexus IS300, which was a pretty good car. However I couldn't manage to get it to average more than 18 mpg. Additionally the lexus was small, both with seating and trunk space. So all of that was enough to get me looking for a new car. Being a car guy, I've always recommended the CX5 to non car guy/gal friends looking for a compact SUV, but now it was my time to get one myself.

So far the CX5 has been amazing. It's nice being able to actually make a costco or home depot run and not have to fold seats down. Love having heads up display, carplay and being able to get 24ish mpg (standards aren't that high). The seats are a bit stiffer then the lexus, but still comfortable overall. Additionally, driving to the coast a few weeks ago the Mazda didn't feel like a slouch at all compared to the lexus. It actually felt quicker and didn't seem to struggle at all.

As per modifications i've already gotten weather techs on the inside, OEM trunk liner, trunk cover and upgraded to pirelli cinturano p7 2's (discount tire matched tire rack clearance price for cinturano p7 1's). I'd love to get new wheels in the future and will probably look to tint my front windows. Corksport boost tube and intake would also be something I look into. However I think i'm past the phase in my life where I need more loud (the exhaust I put on my old 3 is deafening).

The one thing I do need help on is a bumper guard. Does anyone have a grey CX5 with the OEM bumper guard? And/or other guards they recommend? And please don't just post the name of one, post pics!

Thanks for reading all that and I apologize if it was long.

Attachments

• IMG_1886.JPG
    IMG_1886.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 270
  • 5C7B90B8-FB02-499D-8881-E84ACE5E2069.jpg
    5C7B90B8-FB02-499D-8881-E84ACE5E2069.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 299
related bumper cover conversation:

and the big thread of upgrades accessories will be a gem of photos

and as a new owner you might find this thread informative:

nice - i went from a 2010 Mazda3 to a GT Reserve as well! never did the exhaust but had suspension upgrades and wheels on it...koni yellows/eibach pro-kit and Speed3 wheels:

index.php

Enjoy your CX5. We have a 2019 Sig. and really like it.

"pirelli cinturano p7 2" Why did you change the tires? Can you describe the difference in ride and handling from the original tires? Did you change size? Thanks.

Enjoy your CX5. We have a 2019 Sig. and really like it.

"pirelli cinturano p7 2" Why did you change the tires? Can you describe the difference in ride and handling from the original tires? Did you change size? Thanks.

The simple answer was that they were on sale. I was also able to get a good amount on the OEM’s to make it worth it (paid $297 total). On 75% of roads, the pirellis are virtually quiet, though I don’t expect that to last the entire life of the tire. In both sunny and wet weather they grip better and really compliment the handling of the CX5. I could have definitely waited until the Toyo’s went bad. But in my opinion it was a worthy and worthwhile upgrade.

I will say this is my first set of pirellis and I’m impressed. I’ve had Michelin pilot sports 4s, continental contact sports and Bridgestone potenzas. These by far have been the quietest and the above mentioned tires were all on “luxury” cars.

I have a near new and flawless corksport intake/maf housing, filter, and the filter sock I'd be willing to part with, along with mounting hardware.

I see you bought the GTR from Tonkin Mazda in Portland. Please share what you paid before TTL, what was their asking price, if you don't mind.

I see you bought the GTR from Tonkin Mazda in Portland. Please share what you paid before TTL, what was their asking price, if you don't mind.
We just purchased a new 2020 GTR Sunday. At the time, Evert Mazda (North of Seattle) had the best price ($32,997.00 after $1,500.00 rebate). Unfortunately, we just moved from Oregon to Washington, and got hammered with their 10.7% sales tax. Still ended up being the lowest price in the area.

We just purchased a new 2020 GTR Sunday. At the time, Evert Mazda (North of Seattle) had the best price ($32,997.00 after $1,500.00 rebate). Unfortunately, we just moved from Oregon to Washington, and got hammered with their 10.7% sales tax. Still ended up being the lowest price in the area.
You can take some cold comfort from the fact that had you bought it while living in Oregon, and then moved to WA within 90 days, WA would still nail you for the taxes. They call it "use tax" which coincidentally is the same rates as "sales tax".

We just purchased a new 2020 GTR Sunday. At the time, Evert Mazda (North of Seattle) had the best price ($32,997.00 after $1,500.00 rebate)

What was the MSRP(everything before TTL)?
Their website shows 10 GTR and 2 Signatures, but many don't have any photos, meaning they just received them? One of them has sales price of $35,785 after $1,500 customer cash.

we just moved from Oregon to Washington, and got hammered with their 10.7% sales tax. Still ended up being the lowest price in the area.

Sorry to hear that, but you'll enjoy ZERO state income tax for years to come.

Last edited:
You can take some cold comfort from the fact that had you bought it while living in Oregon, and then moved to WA within 90 days, WA would still nail you for the taxes. They call it "use tax" which coincidentally is the same rates as "sales tax".
Yes, we were aware of that. Our house in Oregon sold in two days, so we were scrambling to find a new home. We were expecting a sales tax of 6.5%. Silly us. :)

What was the MSRP(everything before TTL)?
Their website shows 10 GTR and 2 Signatures, but many don't have any photos, meaning they just received them? One of them has sales price of $35,785 after $1,500 customer cash.

Sorry to hear that, but you'll enjoy ZERO state income tax for years to come.
Our out the door price was $37,001.97. So if you subtract the 10.7% tax and the $1500.00 rebate. I think you arrive at $34,497.00. We did use a service provided by Tom McParland(Automatch consulting.com) which costs $499.99. He may have gotten us a better deal.

Back