New CX-5 - When Should I really get my first oil change?

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD Grand Touring
So the reason why I'm asking this is cause I got conflicting data.

Firstly, I have a 2019 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD, bought it brand new. I'm coming up on 5,000 miles.

The service manual says to get an oil change and checkup at 7,500 miles.

However, I just got an email from the dealership I bought the car from and they gave me a coupon for: "FIRST 5,000 MILE SERVICE " which includes
  • Replace engine oil* & Mazda oil filter
  • Tire rotation
  • Check all fluids, belts and hoses
  • Complimentary multi-point inspection
  • *Synthetic oil
But this conflicts with the service manual of the card which says the first service is at 7,500 miles and should include:

"This service generally involves an oil and filter change, tire rotation, and a safety inspection. While changing the oil, the mechanic will be performing visual inspections of the brakes, belts and hoses, inspecting for any fluid leaks, listening for any abnormal noises, and paying attention to any irregularities in the operation of the vehicle. "

So which is it, get my oil changed at 5,000 miles or 7,500 miles? BTW, I do not drive hard or in extreme conditions.

Very debatable subject, open to all kinds of opinions and ideas. No perfect answer unfortunately.

I'm of the old school thinking on this: On a new vehicle, I do the first oil change quite early.
I like to get the break in debris out of there early on.
Now, having said that, modern engines are built to much higher tolerances and standards than they were 20-30-40 years ago.
Back in the day there would be a lot of metal shavings in the oil from the break in period.
I don't think this is a big problem today, but being an old fart, I still like to get rid of the factory oil early on.
I did my first oil change on my 2017 after three months and about 2,000 miles.
I went a bit longer than that on my second one, but still did it early, only because of our deadly winters.
All in all, I only have 18,000 kms on it now (about 11,000 miles), and I've done 3 changes already.
In your case, at 5,000 miles, I'd do an oil change now.
Others may differ.....lol

The dealership will always want you to come in more often than needed. Marketing materials will always say to come in at 5k mile intervals even when the manual calls for 7500 or even 10k intervals. I would just go in when you're close to 7500. Also, never say you want a "5k mile service" or "15k service", etc. They will just do a bunch of stuff you don't need. Just say you want and oil change and tire rotation. (I used to work at a Mazda dealer)

Were there any free oil changes included when you bought the CX5?

The dealership will always want you to come in more often than needed.
Also, never say you want a "5k mile service" or "15k service", etc.
They will just do a bunch of stuff you don't need. Just say you want and oil change and tire rotation.
Ain't that the truth.
Every dealership I've ever gone to for service (Mazda, Nissan, GM, whatever) does the same thing.
They're trained to upsell you on service items and "checks" that you don't need.
That's where the money is.
That, and upgrades and add-ons at point of sale, like vin etching or scotch guarding etc.

I would think the severe service interval would be best for the first oil change. Just get the oil change and tire rotation only. The follow what the manual says based on your service for the next oil change. I'd use the oil life monitor if it were my vehicle. Ed

So the reason why I'm asking this is cause I got conflicting data.

Firstly, I have a 2019 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD, bought it brand new. I'm coming up on 5,000 miles.

The service manual says to get an oil change and checkup at 7,500 miles.

However, I just got an email from the dealership I bought the car from and they gave me a coupon for: "FIRST 5,000 MILE SERVICE " which includes
  • Replace engine oil* & Mazda oil filter
  • Tire rotation
  • Check all fluids, belts and hoses
  • Complimentary multi-point inspection
  • *Synthetic oil
But this conflicts with the service manual of the card which says the first service is at 7,500 miles and should include:

"This service generally involves an oil and filter change, tire rotation, and a safety inspection. While changing the oil, the mechanic will be performing visual inspections of the brakes, belts and hoses, inspecting for any fluid leaks, listening for any abnormal noises, and paying attention to any irregularities in the operation of the vehicle. "

So which is it, get my oil changed at 5,000 miles or 7,500 miles? BTW, I do not drive hard or in extreme conditions.
I personally would do the first factory oil change a bit earlier, say 5K instead of normal 7.5K miles. Or just check your oil life monitor which should be set to “Flexible” from factory. Be aware that recommended normal OCI in Canada is 5K miles but it’s 7.5K miles in the USA.

Don’t worry too much about “break in debris” as those should get trapped in the oil filter, and that’s what the oil filter is for!

Last edited:
I wouldn't wait to go 7.5k on the first oil and filter, but I guess people do wait that long. I suppose if one only plans to keep the car for 5 years or so then they can do minimum maintenance, the car will easily last 5 years.

IMO, an early first oil change is cheap insurance. It's probably a waste of $$$$, but to me, the comfort factor is worth the cost. When I purchase a brand new car, I do the first OC at 1,000mi. From there on, I follow the owners manual.

As normal, your dealer is generating income. Follow the manual. Always. And only.

Because of European enviro regs, lots of car makers are recommending really long oil change intervals and I don't necessarily disagree. With Synthetic oil, I will go to 10k, but not longer.

That said, I always change the oil in a new engine at 1000 miles and then follow the manual. I'm due for my 7500 mile change today.

Last edited:
There is chain of thought here that factory oil has special additives and you are OK to change it at 7.5K miles. Also most people think of OC as a cheap insurance but when I factor in time needed to go to the dealer and do it for me - I am willing to push out OC interval as my car ages to a max of 12K miles, I think 15-18K miles should also be fine on a broken in car if you are not in severe climate or towing a lot.
I have started getting Mobil 1 (6 Qts for 25 bucks) and 2nd best quality Oil Filter - take it to a non Mazda dealer and kind of feel that this combination should last 10K miles after warranty upto 100K miles and 12K miles per OC beyond that. I think more like Europeans on this topic.
Savageese had a Mazda 3 that he bought new and changed oil fairly quickly - then drove for 15K miles and sent the oil for evaluation to Blackstone - their comment was do your OC after 18K miles and send old oil for re-evaluation. So Blackstone says - it is ok for a Mazda 3 with under 20K miles to push the interval to 18K miles - that's nice.

IMO, an early first oil change is cheap insurance. It's probably a waste of $$$$, but to me, the comfort factor is worth the cost. When I purchase a brand new car, I do the first OC at 1,000mi. From there on, I follow the owners manual.
Be careful on early first oil change to a new vehicle. For example, the “Break-in Period” section in Honda’s owner’s manual specifically states:

“Do not change the oil until the recommended time or mileage interval shown in the maintenance schedule.”

Apparently Honda uses special molybdenum-rich break-in oil from factory. And Honda wants the factory break-in oil staying in the new engine for at least one normal OCI. Mazda’s factory oil has plenty of molybdenum too based on UOA. I’d keep the factory oil a bit shorter than my normal OCI, and replace the factory oil with Mazda moly oil which is also moly-rich.

One thing I might suggest to all of you with differing opinions regarding that first oil change, and whether or not Mazda uses a special "break in" oil:
Change the filter early, like at around 1,000 miles (or even less)....but only the filter.
Leave the oil in there.
That way if the filter is loaded with any debris, it eliminates the risk of some of it getting loose and recirculating back into the engine again.
Then change the oil (and filter again) at the normal interval.
That should keep the engine happy.

Usually I follow the rule better safe than sorry. But in this case I suspect the dealer's intention to market and get more money from his client.

2016 GT - did my first one at 5K and then every 7.5K after. So far only Mazda moly but I'm thinking about getting Idemitsu from Amazon for my next oil change. Any one using it?

2016 GT - did my first one at 5K and then every 7.5K after. So far only Mazda moly but I'm thinking about getting Idemitsu from Amazon for my next oil change. Any one using it?

the forum returns a few discussions on the topic of using Idemitsu

TLDR: yes people use Idemitsu oil and it works as required.

Every dealership I've ever gone to for service (Mazda, Nissan, GM, whatever) does the same thing.
They're trained to upsell you on service items and "checks" that you don't need.
That's where the money is.

My girlfriend went in today to get an oil change and tire rotation. I told her to mark her tires so she could make sure they rotated them. She didn't tell me she used big PINK chalk in big numbers 1,2,3 & 4 on the tires. When she checked out they charged her for the oil change and tire rotation. Then she called me and said the numbers are in the same place she marked them. She went back in and confronted the "service consultant", he supposedly looked at the back of her paperwork and asked if she was the person with the tires marked, which she replied yes. He said they didn't rotate her tires because it had the most tread on the front tires, (but they charged her for it). They then issued a refund for the tire rotation. 👎

My girlfriend went in today to get an oil change and tire rotation. I told her to mark her tires so she could make sure they rotated them. She didn't tell me she used big PINK chalk in big numbers 1,2,3 & 4 on the tires. When she checked out they charged her for the oil change and tire rotation. Then she called me and said the numbers are in the same place she marked them. She went back in and confronted the "service consultant", he supposedly looked at the back of her paperwork and asked if she was the person with the tires marked, which she replied yes. He said they didn't rotate her tires because it had the most tread on the front tires, (but they charged her for it). They then issued a refund for the tire rotation. 👎
I am sooo not surprised to hear about this. I firmly believe this type of little con job is more common than we think.
I used to mark my oil filters, and on a few cars over the years I caught a dealer and an independent shop not changing it and charging me for it.
Unfortunately, the result is that I don't trust anybody anymore.
I always insist on being in the shop and being able to watch what's going on, even from a distance if they get antsy about it.

I took my mountain bike into a shop once to get a new tire and tube, which had a number of patches on it.
The slow leak didn't go away and I found they didn't change the tube , which I had paid for.
It's sad because it was considered the best bike shop in town.

It seems like mechanics should be licensed and held accountable but apparently this has been going on since the horse and buggy days so it's 'buyer beware' even though many repairs on modern cars are way beyond the average Joe's ability to even understand much less confirm a proper repair.

Back