new belt squeling issue - SOOO LOUD

davemsc

:
mazda protege5
Hey all,

HAve a 2002 P5 with about 220,000KM on it. lately, I have been getting belt squeal only after the car has been warmed up. It would happen after the engine is nice and warm, and then I would turn it off and go into the grocery store or something like that....maybe about 5 or 10 minutes. Upon getting back into the car, starting it up, AND THEN WHEN I TRY AND PULL AWAY, does it start squealing. It does this for about 10 seconds - gets louder when I give it gas, and then will go away, but may come back intermittently on the road.

I took it in to my mechanic and asked them to tighten the belts. They did and ssaid I was good to go. Noise wasn't there on a cold engine, but once I did the above, it came back (It happens more with the AC on, but it has happened with it off)

Took it back...they replaced the belts yesterday. As soon as I did the above again, the squealing is about 1000x worse with the new belts. They now think it's something else as they said the belts shouldn't be causing this. They said the pulleys looked nice and clean when the belts were off. They are using GATES belts.

Any ideas wtf is going on? I used to have a P5 years ago, and mazda put new belts in and never once did I have this problem.

Could this just be they aren't tight enough??

Any thoughts?
thanks!!!!
dave

Back