New AA \ ACP Thread (with Poll)

How do you feel about AA ? ACP?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe they will extend the free install to the entire Mazda lineup Touring and up 2018's and they will charge the older models (CX-5,CX3, 3,6,etc) that are 2017 or older for the parts and the install if they opt for it.

I have a 2016, but I do think it would be logical for Mazda to extend the free install to all of their 2018 MY....I'm not saying they WILL, but what would be a reasonable explanation if they didn't for all the other 2018 owners? I'm having a hard time coming up with one if only the Mazda6 is honored, other than arbitrary/capricious decisions. Also, I swear I saw somewhere along the way a Mazda Japan roadmap graphic of the rollout to other 2018 MY vehicles, but unclear to what regions that may apply (and I don't read Japanese).

Regardless, I don't have a problem being expected to pay for these parts since I have a 2016 and it was never promised back then.

Mazda announced Car Play with the new 6. ACP wasn't ready. So they released the car and promised free updates. This makes complete sense. All 19 vehicles should get it. Everyone else, including you 18s, are going to have to pay. I guarantee it.

Picked up my kit at my local mazda dealer in Huntsville alabama. I'll be doing alot of reading this week and will be attempting the install on a 2018 cx5 touring this weekend

Anyone have a guide for removing the panels I need to access the radio?

Damnit. I had a link to everything you'd need. Didn't think to save the link because I thought I'd be able to find it. Guess what?
I'll find it. Standby.

https://my.hidrive.com/share/hsodpqja.l#$/Mazda_Firmware/1%20CarPlay-AndroidAuto%20INSTALL
Thank you History...

Last edited:
Mazda announced Car Play with the new 6. ACP wasn't ready. So they released the car and promised free updates. This makes complete sense. All 19 vehicles should get it. Everyone else, including you 18s, are going to have to pay. I guarantee it.

Yes. The poster on Mazda3 forums has posted some details - Mazda is sending out mailers to the eligible Mazda 6 purchasers. Higher ends get it free, lower ends can pay for it . So not even all 2018 Mazda 6 are eligible for free upgrade.

Mazda has no reason to give free AA/CP to cars that were never promised it. If you want it, it is $200 for parts and then the labor.

Really glad I got it in writing a when I bought my CX-5 a few months ago that my dealer would install CP for free once its available. They told me it was a simple software update, which I suspected was not, thanks this this forum, true. Only issue now is if they say "yes, install is free, parts are not" but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Correct!

I wish touchscreen would be enabled. It is in my wife*s 2017 Ford Escape CarPlay

I guess I'm trying to figure out how functional it will be to use Android Auto without a working touchscreen while moving and if the control knob will be able to do everything that is needed...? We don't do Apple, so while Car Play functionality is interesting, it likely will never be used.

That said, I do like the control knob... However, having come from a 2011 BMW M3 that had BMW's iDrive, there are several areas that (IMHO) BMW's 7 year older iDrive is still superior to what is in my 2018 CX-5:
- Being able to Zoom In/Out of the Nav Map by turning the control "dial", it annoys me that zooming is touchscreen only (and of course DOESN'T work while driving).
- Not having dedicated function buttons for Communications/Phone and Radio. Generally, it takes several more moves/pushes/clicks/turns to make similar changes on the Mazda.
- While not at all a show stopper, the tactile feel/quality of the iDrive controller was also better which 7 years should have been enough for the trickle-down.

Last edited:
Even though Im probably never going to use the touchscreen, Im going to make use of the fact Ill have the CMU accessible when I install the new cables and use the serial hack to enable AIO. The touchscreen tweak is less exciting to me than the hacks to hide input options and eliminate the boot animation and warning screens are.

That's kind of my thinking as well "since I've got the dash torn apart...". That said, I'm curious which tweaks (applied to my current 59.00.544 NA N, or the latest variant of 59.x thereof which can also be downloaded from where the 70.x is available) will persist (like touchscreen/boot animation/warning/inputs) after I perform the 70.x firmware upgrade and then install the AA/CP hardware...

I guess I'm trying to figure out how functional it will be to use Android Auto without a working touchscreen while moving and if the control knob will be able to do everything that is needed...? We don't do Apple, so while Car Play functionality is interesting, it likely will never be used.

That said, I do like the control knob... However, having come from a 2011 BMW M3 that had BMW's iDrive, there are several areas that (IMHO) BMW's 7 year older iDrive is still superior to what is in my 2018 CX-5:
- Being able to Zoom In/Out of the Nav Map by turning the control "dial", it annoys me that zooming is touchscreen only (and of course DOESN'T work while driving).
- Not having dedicated function buttons for Communications/Phone and Radio. Generally, it takes several more moves/pushes/clicks/turns to make similar changes on the Mazda.
- While not at all a show stopper, the tactile feel/quality of the iDrive controller was also better which 7 years should have been enough for the trickle-down.

Hey guys,

I understand some of you prefer the Command control knob... However, it's about usability/efficiency and not so much what I like. The control knob is an input device that is old technology. It is the equivalent of a mouse. When using the control knob, you have to "scroll" several times to get to the function you want, while the touchscreen is just one-touch to the function I want.

Can you imagine using an iPad with a mouse or control knob? Or an ATM machine screen with a control knob? So your Mazda touchscreen is just a tablet that forces you to use an antiquated input device while driving. Steve Jobs and Apple already figured that your finger is the best input device. That's why he died a billionaire.

At least Ford understands this and allows you to use the touchscreen while driving. It has no other choice since the system doesn't have any other input device.

OMG. Hate the knob? Said no one. Ever. The knob is awesome. I'll kill anyone that says different: because that's no one.
I have touchscreen enabled while moving. I never use it. But it IS nice when my passenger can use it. Stop. *******. Nannying me Mazda!

I understand some of you prefer the Command control knob... However, it's about usability/efficiency and not so much what I like. The control knob is an input device that is old technology. It is the equivalent of a mouse. When using the control knob, you have to "scroll" several times to get to the function you want, while the touchscreen is just one-touch to the function I want.

Can you imagine using an iPad with a mouse or control knob? Or an ATM machine screen with a control knob? So your Mazda touchscreen is just a tablet that forces you to use an antiquated input device while driving. Steve Jobs and Apple already figured that your finger is the best input device. That's why he died a billionaire.

At least Ford understands this and allows you to use the touchscreen while driving. It has no other choice since the system doesn't have any other input device.

I hope Mazda sees it too.

Last edited:

Yes but he couldn't take it with him.

The controller knob is fine. Owners just need to get used to it. Saves you having to stretch out to the screen

Steve Jobs and Apple already figured that your finger is the best input device. That's why he died a billionaire.

That most certainly is not why he died a billionaire. It is also worth noting that he died one of the world's biggest pieces of [emoji90].

As many stated before, Mazdas mission is to minimize distraction and maximize natural driving control and comfort. Reaching out to manipulate the screen is an unnecessary hazard. But hey, to each their own. I've never had any trouble navigating the system with the knob and find the speed to be comparable to use of touch.

There's my .2 though I don't expect it to change anyone's opinion.

Hey guys,

Except Apple then added the pencil for iPad input - and they had said no stylus. The mac also got support for multiple mouse buttons when apple said one was enough.

Using a touch screen in moving car means you have to do everything by vision - no tactile feedback, and you need to be precise. The command knob moves through the options available and the buttons around it allow for selection without taking your eyes off the road.

I think a touchscreen as the only input in a car is a hindrance. The iPad, and ATM are not cars. Focusing your attention on those screens to tap the right place will not cause an accident. My neighbor has a Tesla - great car, but a frustration to adjust things while in traffic with only a touchscreen.

This x1000. Biggest miss. Basic stuff like changing media sources requires navigation with the control knob. Its not less distracting because its a knob.

Also as to the reach comment. Thats not a problem if they put the screen where you can reach it like VW does.

Jobs was a 'genius' because he had the bright idea to make a fun phone with a touchscreen for the masses, not just business people. Palm, Microsoft, Samsung, everyone... had touchscreen phones LONG before that first iPhone. But they were primarily marketed at business.

I remember when I was young and in school and we had a design competition to come up with some new unique way to redesign things we used every day. I've never found a more appropriate place to bring this up. The idea I came up with: moving the radio controls from the dashboard to between the front seats. Why not have the controls where your hand already spends most of the time? Why should you have to reach for the dashboard? What a waste of space! All you need on the dash is a display. Of course this was 19## so my mock up had a tuning knob, a volume knob and a some favorite buttons between the seats. And we weren't obsessed with cup holders back then so that was mostly wasted space anyway.
## many years later... I am driving my design.
I think an analog dial in a ergonomic place is revolutionary. Not a giant touch screen that every other car company has. One button no look access to gps / music / favorites. Far superior to touch screen only. My MIL's Jeep ugh... I hate it. I'm a tall guy so the seat sits very far back. My arm is STRAIGHT OUT touching things on that display. Feels very uncomfortable and distracting. You shouldn't have to FULL reach to ... change something.
I will never have a touchscreen only car.
All IMO of course. But you're never going to sell me that a dial is a step backward.

Last edited:
This x1000. Biggest miss. Basic stuff like changing media sources requires navigation with the control knob. It*s not less distracting because it*s a knob.

Also as to the reach comment. That*s not a problem if they put the screen where you can reach it like VW does.

Could Mazda have done it better? Sure. But I don't think the 'inconvenience' of an extra 2 clicks or a spin is a big deal. At all.
Let's just bring it back full circle to the topic at hand: AA / ACP solves that issue. ;)

Mazdas system is decent but I definitely notice switching between media, radio presets, and making phone calls is much easier and less distracting on the VW. And its not because touchscreen vs control knob. Its because they did a good job with the shortcuts and layout imo.

Agreed cant wait to get mine upgraded and ditch the vent mounts because my wife uses Waze and refuses to use the MZD nav.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back