New 2020 CX5 rubber smell

I just bought a new 2020 CX-5 Sunday Mar. 15th. 2020 with 27 miles. I previously had a 2016 1/2. When I got home it smelled like burning rubber. Drove it Monday and Tuesday and it still smells like burning rubber coming from the engine area. Of all the new cars I've bought going all the way back to my new 1978 Pinto (I'm 59), I cannot remember ever smelling this. I realize there is a "burning off" of new materials, but this does not seem right. I am calling the dealer tomorrow. Anyone with a comment on this smell?

I would get it checked, a persistent burning rubber smell is not right.

Aside from that, all new cars are full of VOCs. I always open the windows for at least 30 seconds at the start of any drive, as the air outside is usually much cleaner than the air inside the cabin.
I also use the Bosch HEPA filter instead of the factory cabin air filter.

My dealer told me to be aware of the burning off of a protective coating that is put on the engine parts before the ship trip from Japan. He said allow 1000 miles for it to dissipate. It didn't take quite that long, but it definitely disappeared. If you think it's something else, take it back and have it checked!

There was a burning smell with my new 2020 when driven at highway speeds. I smelled it during test drive, dealer told me it was normal and would go away after it's driven a bit. He was right, I no longer notice the smell.

There was a burning smell with my new 2020 when driven at highway speeds. I smelled it during test drive, dealer told me it was normal and would go away after it's driven a bit. He was right, I no longer notice the smell.
Same with my 2019 GTR. Had 5 miles when I took delivery. Dealer told me the same thing. The smell went away after around 500 miles or so.

That's when I smell it. After driving on the highway when I stop at the end of the exit ramp. Going to the dealer just in case. Thank you.

my 2019 had a heavy chemical smell and a plume of vapor from under the hood after driving home from the dealer (about 15 miles). I simply got back on the road and drove the outer highway loop around the city (about 120 miles) and it was gone the next time I stopped.

Back