New 2019 CX9 Loving it

:
2019 CX9 GT AWD Sonic Silver
Heys guys,

New to this forum. Loving my new ride. Probably will have lots of questions because I dont feel like scouraging through the whole owners manual. First question is how do you get to the tpms and has it been upgraded to show individual pressure for each tire? And one observation. First or second night in my garage I was locking it and unlocking it watching all the lights flash and the power mirrors fold and unfold, just entertaining myself lol. I noticed after about a minute when unlocked the car would auto lock and the mirrors fold in and lights would flash. Did this about ten times and was amazed that I never read about this feature. It hasnt done this since then. Any idea whats going on or something im doing or did, or not realizing what I did? Otherwise nicest ride I've ever had. Awesome sound system and drives great and powerful. Already averaging 23.5 mpg. Looking forward to any input from you guys. Having a hard time uploading to this site. Its a gorgeous 2019 CX9 GT Sonic Silver.

Congrats and welcome. I traded on our 2016 CX-5 a few months ago for a 2018 CX-9 GT AWD ( machine gray) and it's really a great vehicle. I've had a bunch in my time and this for the money is right up there. Sure there are a few shortcomings and people like to shoot holes in it because it is not "roomy enough inside" but pound for pound I just thought it was a far nicer vehicle than any of the competition and for me was better than the Lexus RX350 and the MDX ( in everything but the top hybrid trim). The new Telluride was the only new thing I was mildly interested in but it's an all new vehicle and I'm just not all the way there yet on KIA. Maybe one day.

As far as the auto locking feature you can find that in the infotainment area marked "settings". You can defeat it (which I did) or set it to auto lock with different time increments. You will find that is the area where you can access and change most of the vehicle settings. If you have not yet had a Mazda with this infotainment I would just sit in the driveway with some music on and fool around with it and see where everything is. Many people bag on this system but with the addition of Car Play I think it's now one of the best ones out there.

Enjoy it. One of the best things about this car is you don't see 30 of them in every parking lot.

I agree with everything Montanaman said. I absolutely love my 2018 Signature. I do wish I had the 2019 upgrades but I couldn*t justify them for 7-9k price difference. I picked my barely used signature with options and 4K miles for 35k. Glad you like your car.

Thanks guys. Ok I got the infotainment system down. Out in the garage for about an hour lol. Can't find the tpms though. Must be a setting on the steering wheel right? Why is this sight so difficult to upload a pic? I''ve downsized it to 2mb and still get an unexplained error? Just a jpeg.

Finally, had to crop the hell out of it.

Attachments

• 20190324_151513.jpg
    20190324_151513.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
TPMS has been discussed in detail elsewhere on this forum if you search and want to read more. Sadly, on the CX-9 it's just a warning light that illuminates when a tire gets below a pre set threshold. It does not tell you which one either. I was disappointed by this low end feature in such an otherwise well equipped car. My wife's bottom trim 2011 Silverado pickup has individual tire TPMS with pressure readings.

It surely is. The 2013 Toyota Venza Limited I traded for my 2019 CX-9 Grand Touring (FWD) only had a warning light as well. My previous GM trade in had individual tire TPMS readout and I have missed that feature ever since. None of the Japanese makers I cross shopped the Mazda with (Toyota Highlander and Honda Pilot have anything other than a warning light either). Frankly a strange omission.

Ok so who runs premium and who runs rgular? Or mid grade I guess. Dyno or synthetic?

I run 91 and synthetic. 91 mainly because Shell 91 is ethanol-free, synthetic because it's a turbo engine. That said, the Owner's Manual doesn't specify between conventional or synthetic. Here's what it says:

"Only use SAE 5W-30 oil *Certified For Gasoline Engines* by the American Petroleum Institute (API).

Oil with this trademark symbol conforms to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC), comprised of U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers."

Has anyone tried the stop and go cruise in traffic? Way cool. It will stop the car autonomously and hold it there without depressing the brake pedal at all. Then take off when traffic starts moving again.

Also just got my new 2019 CX9.

The* lift-gate dash button* stopped working (just beeps 3 times).* However the key-fob and the gate buttons work fine.

Any ideas as to why ? (maybe some kind of safety issue)

The* lift-gate dash button* stopped working (just beeps 3 times).* However the key-fob and the gate buttons work fine.

Yes, my 2018 lift-gate button doesn't work with the ignition on and an open door.

The doors must be unlocked for the interior button to work.

Has anyone tried the stop and go cruise in traffic? Way cool. It will stop the car autonomously and hold it there without depressing the brake pedal at all. Then take off when traffic starts moving again.

Love the stop and go cruise, I use it all the time on longer trips. Question for you.. does your 2019 take off after coming to a complete stop for 15-20 seconds, like after a red light? I have a 2018 and when I use the stop and go cruise, it disables the "go" part if the car has been fully stopped for a short while. Meaning that after coming to a stop behind a car and sitting at the light, the car will not resume driving unless I hit the Res button on the steering wheel. Maybe they made a change to the logic in the 2019 MY.

Love the stop and go cruise, I use it all the time on longer trips. Question for you.. does your 2019 take off after coming to a complete stop for 15-20 seconds, like after a red light? I have a 2018 and when I use the stop and go cruise, it disables the "go" part if the car has been fully stopped for a short while. Meaning that after coming to a stop behind a car and sitting at the light, the car will not resume driving unless I hit the Res button on the steering wheel. Maybe they made a change to the logic in the 2019 MY.

It does just take off when the light turns green and cars start moving. Stop signs are a pain though. It starts then you have to stop again.

Loving this car guys. I've owned it 4 months and have 1400 miles on it. Just took it in yesterday for its first oil change. Even though I have 2 free changes I took my 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with me. I let them use a Mazda oem filter designed just for the turbo engine. Heard its pretty good. Since I was driving it so little in the beginning I clayed it right of way and probably have 6 or 7 coats of Meguiars ultimate sealant on it. Only using rinseless synthetic car washes on like onr and Griots Garage spray wash and wax. Then I use Meguiars d156 Xpress spray wax as a drying agent and plush microfiber towels. Looks beautiful. I bought the aluminum brake and gas pedals just havent had time to install them. In my rural driving I'm getting around 25-26 mpg using top tier 93 gas.

I'm glad you like the car so much. There is no reason to use more than 87 AKI gasoline unless you often run full throttle above 4000 rpm. I've tried both. Sometimes I think the 93 makes the engine run just a bit smoother, and most of the time I can't tell any difference except when I'm paying for the tankful. I'm pleased with the operation on 87.

I'm glad you like the car so much. There is no reason to use more than 87 AKI gasoline unless you often run full throttle above 4000 rpm. I've tried both. Sometimes I think the 93 makes the engine run just a bit smoother, and most of the time I can't tell any difference except when I'm paying for the tankful. I'm pleased with the operation on 87.

I never compared but I would think you get a little better gas mileage on premium.

Back