New 2018 CX-5 Vibration at Highway Speeds

Car is fixed. Props to the crew over at Patrick Mazda in MA.

Took them on a test drive in my car. Confirmed vibration even after they've roadforce balanced and swapped on the tires from a loaner that was very smooth on highway. Service manager suggested taking never before driven CX5 for test drive to confirm a vehicle that was riding to my satisfaction. Once identified, we'd try those brand new wheels and tires on my vehicle.

First car we took with 12 miles on the odometer and the factory plastic protection still on had worse vibration than my vehicle. Service manager felt that vehicle was "normal" but insisted we keep trying until I was satisfied. The second car, also brand new, I knew instantly was much better. Put those new wheels and tires on my car. Problem gone.

Dealership crew was really patient, never gave me a hard time, kept saying we will work until I'm satisfied. I had to go back and forth a few times over the last 4 weeks. That was sub optimal but they did what they could. Always gave me a loaner, never questioned or denied the issue. They even dropped off and picked up vehicles at our work place. They provided excellent service to rectify the issue. They are one of the good ones for sure.

Good to hear...

And yes,there are still a few non-stealerships out there. Glad you found one and are satisfied. Please give an update in a couple hundred miles or so...

Smart man. No way would I buy a new one either...

That’s a sweeping statement. At the time you purchased yours, there will have been loads of warranty issues but still you went ahead. You think buying a new car is certain doom? The problem with forums is that as well as a gang of regulars virtual tyre kicking, many only join to discuss a problem. It seriously swerves reality. There are hundreds of thousands of these things pottering about with perfectly content owners but you are quite happy to cut your own nose off to spite your face. I don’t get it but it’s up to you.

Took them on a test drive in my car. Confirmed vibration even after they've roadforce balanced and swapped on the tires from a loaner that was very smooth on highway. Service manager suggested taking never before driven CX5 for test drive to confirm a vehicle that was riding to my satisfaction. Once identified, we'd try those brand new wheels and tires on my vehicle.

First car we took with 12 miles on the odometer and the factory plastic protection still on had worse vibration than my vehicle. Service manager felt that vehicle was "normal" but insisted we keep trying until I was satisfied. The second car, also brand new, I knew instantly was much better. Put those new wheels and tires on my car. Problem gone.

Dealership crew was really patient, never gave me a hard time, kept saying we will work until I'm satisfied. I had to go back and forth a few times over the last 4 weeks. That was sub optimal but they did what they could. Always gave me a loaner, never questioned or denied the issue. They even dropped off and picked up vehicles at our work place. They provided excellent service to rectify the issue. They are one of the good ones for sure.

As the others have said, good news. So a wheel or a tyre then. I would now be fitting each of those wheels one by one into a set on a new car to see which pulls up the fault, that is IF it isn’t visually obvious. You can usually tell by an impact mark or a worn patch or something. Not your worry though, you can sleep easy.

So what happened with the lemon law thing. I thought that entitled you to an exchange car? I can see you are dissatisfied with yours but the fact is, most are as good as gold. This thing outside my door (pause while I go get on my hands and knees to see if it’s a girl or a boy - fwd or awd)..........

.....it’s a girl (fwd) is amazingly smooth and quiet despite it being cruelly treated.

You are only entitled to new car if Mazda agrees with you. If they come back and say it's normal then your only option is arbitration, which is through an entity that Mazda and other automakers pay for. It's then up to the arbitrator to decide.

You are only entitled to new car if Mazda agrees with you. If they come back and say it's normal then your only option is arbitration, which is through an entity that Mazda and other automakers pay for. It's then up to the arbitrator to decide.

That’s clear - thanks.

@Anchroman: The wheels and tires were not flagged as problematic by their roadforce machine. I do not think they had the most modern and advanced version, but it "passed" after adding .25 ounce weights to each wheel. Visually, tires and wheels looked ok to me and the tech. No abnormal wear after ~1,400 miles. I'm happy to be, hopefully, through this issue and moving on to enjoying the vehicle. Obviously, new buyers should test the cars at highway speeds on smooth/new sections of pavement to be certain they will not experience this issue before taking delivery.

The roads between the factory and the ship are of a known quality and unless they go to a yard at the import centre, getting them to the dealer is usually pretty consistent. However, add another 80 miles of the sales reps ragging the backside out of them and potential buyers who arent used to the width as well as seeing what the 0-60 is like and then you start to accumulate risk.

Yes but again still possible. What about the dealership moving it from offsite yard to actual dealership (uhm)

Also could be that soon after pick up, the OP encountered some bad road that caused this to happen. Have heard of this before

Good to hear it was resolved :)

Unless I missed it, what was the issue and how did they fix it (uhm)

Yes but again still possible. What about the dealership moving it from offsite yard to actual dealership (uhm)

Also could be that soon after pick up, the OP encountered some bad road that caused this to happen. Have heard of this before

I’ve forgotten where we were going with this but I think I questioned your statement that something could be broken or loose. Not impossible but I wonder just what kind of hole the delivery driver found inside a dealership compound. I would get him in for what we call on the railway “tea and biscuits” ;-).

That’s a sweeping statement. At the time you purchased yours, there will have been loads of warranty issues but still you went ahead. You think buying a new car is certain doom? The problem with forums is that as well as a gang of regulars virtual tyre kicking, many only join to discuss a problem. It seriously swerves reality. There are hundreds of thousands of these things pottering about with perfectly content owners but you are quite happy to cut your own nose off to spite your face. I don’t get it but it’s up to you.
Lol...

Ive never posted a problem here with my CX-5,none,zilch,nada,but carry on...

Nice try with the tire kicker,though,I like that!

The roads between the factory and the ship are of a known quality and unless they go to a yard at the import centre, getting them to the dealer is usually pretty consistent. However, add another 80 miles of the sales reps ragging the backside out of them and potential buyers who aren’t used to the width as well as seeing what the 0-60 is like and then you start to accumulate risk.

If I remember correctly the Mazda assembly plant is right on the water or close to it. There is a huge parking area with dock space for the car carriers. So the trip from assembly line to the ship is very short compared to other manufacturers.

It seems I also remember some issues with the ship crews over tightening the cars to the ship deck. Not sure what this was related to.

Then you have the ports here in the US. The cars are driven off to large holding lots where they are prepped and then transferred to trains for long distances or truck carriers for short distances.

In my case, the dealer I went to is only 11 miles from the port (Tacoma) so they actually drive the cars from the port to the dealer.

All along the way things can happen. It only takes one giant pothole to mess things up and our area has them everywhere. A good test drive is essential

If I remember correctly the Mazda assembly plant is right on the water or close to it. There is a huge parking area with dock space for the car carriers. So the trip from assembly line to the ship is very short compared to other manufacturers.

It seems I also remember some issues with the ship crews over tightening the cars to the ship deck. Not sure what this was related to.

Then you have the ports here in the US. The cars are driven off to large holding lots where they are prepped and then transferred to trains for long distances or truck carriers for short distances.

In my case, the dealer I went to is only 11 miles from the port (Tacoma) so they actually drive the cars from the port to the dealer.

All along the way things can happen. It only takes one giant pothole to mess things up and our area has them everywhere. A good test drive is essential

Well yes, I’m not sure that the 0.0001% of cars delivered in the US is the norm but OK, I accept that if there is a chance that a potential owner is unlucky enough to have had his new car driven down the one huge pothole that lies between Hiroshima and the delivery address in the whole of the USA then maybe something got broken or loose. I’ll try to ignore the fact that 99.99999% of people will just take the keys to a brand new car and away off home to show their neighbors. I maintain that anyone picking up a car with 98 miles on their supposedly “new car” might just give it a whirl. By the way, I’m no good at sums before anybody tells me my percentages are impossible.

Well yes, I’m not sure that the 0.0001% of cars delivered in the US is the norm but OK, I accept that if there is a chance that a potential owner is unlucky enough to have had his new car driven down the one huge pothole that lies between Hiroshima and the delivery address in the whole of the USA then maybe something got broken or loose. I’ll try to ignore the fact that 99.99999% of people will just take the keys to a brand new car and away off home to show their neighbors. I maintain that anyone picking up a car with 98 miles on their supposedly “new car” might just give it a whirl. By the way, I’m no good at sums before anybody tells me my percentages are impossible.

I’m not good at translating. Anyway this situation is definitely not the usual.

Vibration/resonance

Recently picked up 2018 Touring CX-5. Noticed vibration between 60-75 MPH on highway. Present even on freshly paved highways, just coasting, accelerating, up and downhill. Dealer re-balanced the wheels and it improved. However, vibration is still present. I've asked them to do a roadforce balance but they do not have the machine. I could look into a different dealer that has it, but do not have super high hopes.

Does anyone other 2017/2018 owner have this issue? Were you able to get it resolved?

I have the same issue on my 2016 AWD with under 17k. A resonance sound becomes barely noticeable at about 45-50 mph and peaks noticeably at exactly 60 at which time the rymthic sound can be felt in the steering and shift lever. The resonance disappears above 60 mph. Cant hear it at 62/63.

Took it twice to dealer and one mechanic said normal for this car coming from the tranny gearing. Tires all balanced. Its there even rolling in neutral at 60 so it doesnt make sense to me. Its terrible once you realize it because 60mph is used much in traffic and the sound stands out even with high music volume. Id swear its a drive axel or shaft out of true. Someone mentioned CV joint, is there a way to confirm any of these possibilities?

Back