New 2016.5 Introduction

Ars3nal3432

:
Mazda/ 2016.5 CX-5 2.5L/ Sport
Hi everyone. New Mazda owner here. Im leasing a 2016.5 Meteor Grey Cx-5 sport with the 2.5L engine. Living in Southern California I couldn't justify the need for AWD. The last car I had was an FR-S so needless to say this was a big difference, especially in height. I love the way the CX- 5 drives. It seems like a lot of thought went into this vehicle and Im hard pressed on finding any major negatives with the car.

i-j2wqnmr-XL.jpg

i-Cdj9ZwW-XL.jpg

If you dont want to read my novel, heres an overview of my mods:

Racing Beat Power Pulse Exhaust ( muffler )
35% tint all around
OEM 17 inch plasti dipped with Anthracite grey ( barrel and outside )
LED DRLs 5500K
LED interior lights
Plasti dipped exhaust tips and badges with Anthracite grey
Hood edge protector

After giving it a nice wax, I de-badged the trunk and that began to open a can of worms.

Next on my hit list was the exhaust. I initially thought about putting bolt on tips however I quickly decided that I couldn't live with myself if one of them fell off on the freeway and hurt someone. So I started looking into exhaust. The cork sport was very appealing. However, a lack of videos with the 2.5 and the general consensus that Racing beat power pulse was a quieter exhaust, I went with Racing beat.

I didnt want to wait 1-2 weeks for shipping, nor did I want to pay for shipping. So I took the CX-5 on her maiden voyage and drove to the racing beat head quarters in Anaheim, California. Everyone was very nice there and they seemed to be busy with lots of work. Heres some shots:

i-bQJjrc5-XL.jpg

i-9CPC2k3-XL.jpg

I drove home and had the exhaust installed the next day. Yes, I know a monkey could probably install it. But being that it was a lease I didn't want to screw anything up and I don't really have the lift/ tools accessible to me. If there is enough demand I will make a video sound clip of the exhaust.

My FR-S had the TRD racing package with it and the exhaust had a nice tone to it, granted on long trips I needed to wear ear plugs because of the droning. Im really impressed with the Racing Beat power pulse exhaust. If you are expecting the exhaust to sound like a rocket ship. this exhaust is not for you. There is a delicate balance between quite and loud. Below 2500 rpm you barley notice the exhaust and when you step on it you get a great growl. This exhaust has to warm up ( about 15 mins driving time ) before you start to here really notice its tones.

Next I had the windows tinted. 35% all around, lucky for me the sport doesn't come with tint so matching wasn't a problem.

Unfortunately, My lease offer only came with the 17 inch wheels. I personally think the CX-5 looks way better on 19s and I had planned to buy some, but I eventually came to the conclusion that 1.5-2K can be spent or saved elsewhere. So I plasti dipped the rims with an Anthracite grey kit from DYC.com. I took my sweet time with the process. I took the wheels off, cleaned them, painted both the barrel and the outside with 5 coats of color and 5 coats of glossifier. The whole process took about a full day.

i-QvZQ2rD-XL.jpg

On to lighting, I hate the yellow hue of the DRLs so I attempted to install an HID kit from DDM Tuning however all the kits I tried didn't work. I would only get them to work when I flashed the brights. So I switched to LEDs and they work great. I also replaced all the interior lights with LEDs. Personally I think the white light looks os much more elegant than the stock yellow hue.

Next I dipped the badges and the exhaust tips with the same color as the wheels. I know you did what?. Thats right I dipped my exhaust tips so far so good. I will report back if the paint doesn't hold up. I think they look great.

i-N9JH3r2-XL.jpg

i-GqDprN4-XL.jpg

i-r9C2qRm-XL.jpg

i-fFw36XP-XL.jpg

i-dJzdmx2-XL.jpg

I also have a hood edge protector on the front. Thats it for now Looking for more suggestions. Oh and heres an photo with an R8 for scale.

i-zpBBBv3-XL.jpg

Welcome and nice work on the car and mods. So Cal the land where the next Gen CX-5 was spied! Look forward to seeing some more of your mods.

Nice work and welcome. What to do with your stock exhaust ?, I always want to do a bad ass exhaust upgrade but I don't know what to do with the oem exhaust. I don't have room for the exhaust and I don't know will any dealership buy it.

Wow, the cleanest Sport around! Welcome!

Can't really tell for sure in your pictures but it looks like your tint is covering the dot matrix on the outer edges. I have a Sport also and got mine tinted but there's a small gap between the tint and the edges due to the dot matrix (doesn't look that great but drawback for not getting factory tinted windows).

Can you also post a pic of your LED drls?

Nice work and welcome. What to do with your stock exhaust ?, I always want to do a bad ass exhaust upgrade but I don't know what to do with the oem exhaust. I don't have room for the exhaust and I don't know will any dealership buy it.

Take it from my experience: don't sell stock stuff if it can be put back on the car later. You can make more money when you sell/trade the car if you can put it back to stock and sell any aftermarket parts separately.

Congrats on the new ride! Quite a list of mods for a lease. Any plans on buying it out at the end or just swapping the stock parts back on?

Take it from my experience: don't sell stock stuff if it can be put back on the car later. You can make more money when you sell/trade the car if you can put it back to stock and sell any aftermarket parts separately.

I can second this! Find somewhere to keep that OEM exhaust and other parts. When modding my P5 I sold or traded most of my OEM parts. We just traded her in two weeks ago and I had to leave the exhaust, intake, JDM tails and a few other things installed because I didn't have parts to swap out with. I didn't get any more for the car with the parts on but could have sold them on here, CL or ebay and made a few extra bucks.

We traded in my wife's old Corolla with the CD/MP3 deck left in it because... well, I didn't give a crap about it. (rofl2)

I bet the original tape deck is buried on a shelf in the garage somewhere.

I plan on keeping the stock exhaust and putting it back when if I turn it in. I currently have it in storage. It does seem flat enough that you probably could fit it under a bed. You could try a muffler shop they might pay something for it, but I agree with the others keep it for later.

Wow, the cleanest Sport around! Welcome!

Can't really tell for sure in your pictures but it looks like your tint is covering the dot matrix on the outer edges. I have a Sport also and got mine tinted but there's a small gap between the tint and the edges due to the dot matrix (doesn't look that great but drawback for not getting factory tinted windows).

Can you also post a pic of your LED drls?

Thanks! Im pretty sure my tint is covering the dot matrix. Yes, When I will try and snap one today.

Congrats on the new ride! Quite a list of mods for a lease. Any plans on buying it out at the end or just swapping the stock parts back on?

Right now Im 50/50. I figure since I will have 3 years with it, I might as well do all the mods now so I get the most time out of them. One advantage to keeping it, is Im the only driver so I know how hard I have driven the car. However, the way the CX-5 has been slowly improving over the years, maybe in 3 years they will have a turbo version. If thats the case, I might have some goodies for sale in 3 years from now.

Looks really good. Please post an update on those dipped tips. I'm curious how tough that dip is.

Back