New 2013 CX-9 GT

:
2013 Mazda CX-9 GT
Hi All,

My wife and I just took delivery of a 2013 CX-9 GT, in Aluminum Metallic Mica with black leather interior.

This is our first SUV/crossover type vehicle, and our first Mazda.

I guess out of the gate I had a few random questions:

- What do you guys use to clean, maintain and protect the seude portion on the seats? (leather no problem, got that covered)

- Are the OEM roof rails an easy DIY job? I was surprised the CX-9 didn't come with any roof rack or rails, compared to other vehicles in it's class. But I'm assuming OEM at least for the basic rails is the way to go vs. something aftermarket. All worry about other accessory attachments (bikes, skis, etc.) later.

- Right now we just have the factory carpeted floor mats. I'm boggled by the choices. From my brief time on this forum I see some swear by the Mazda all-weather mats. Some prefer WeatherTech. And some like a mix and match. And even within WT, there are two variants for the front - their all weather and the digitalfit floor liners.

- Aside from the mats decision and the roof rails, any other "gotta get" accessories or add-ons that fellow CX-9 owners would recommend?

Thanks!
Jason

The only that I have added to my CX-9 in the digitalfit floor liners and limo tint and all seems well. The GT pretty much has everything else that I could want included.

Another question:
I'm planning to buy a winter tire & wheel package from tirerack soon. Is there anything special required in order to get their aftermarket TPMS sensors to work with the vehicle?

Wish that I could help answer this one, but if I want to see snow I have to drive 2 hours and check the weather to see if they have any.

As to accessories, I have the 5-piece cargo tray. I used to have a cargo tray on my old Pilot, but it was one piece, so I had to remove it if I was putting up the 3rd row. I love the Mazda tray, because I don't have to do that.

Can't speak to cleaning the suede, as my '12 doesn't have it.

Hi All,

My wife and I just took delivery of a 2013 CX-9 GT, in Aluminum Metallic Mica with black leather interior.

This is our first SUV/crossover type vehicle, and our first Mazda.

I guess out of the gate I had a few random questions:

- What do you guys use to clean, maintain and protect the seude portion on the seats? (leather no problem, got that covered)

- Are the OEM roof rails an easy DIY job? I was surprised the CX-9 didn't come with any roof rack or rails, compared to other vehicles in it's class. But I'm assuming OEM at least for the basic rails is the way to go vs. something aftermarket. All worry about other accessory attachments (bikes, skis, etc.) later.

- Right now we just have the factory carpeted floor mats. I'm boggled by the choices. From my brief time on this forum I see some swear by the Mazda all-weather mats. Some prefer WeatherTech. And some like a mix and match. And even within WT, there are two variants for the front - their all weather and the digitalfit floor liners.

- Aside from the mats decision and the roof rails, any other "gotta get" accessories or add-ons that fellow CX-9 owners would recommend?

Another question:
I'm planning to buy a winter tire & wheel package from tirerack soon. Is there anything special required in order to get their aftermarket TPMS sensors to work with the vehicle?

Thanks!
Jason

For cleaning..... you're on your own, not sure as none of the earlier models had a combo seat like that. Check out some Porsche forums or Audi forums.

I just use Armor All Leather Care for the vinyl and leather portions, but others on here use better stuff like Mothers, Maguires, etc.... lots of stuff out there, and it is all on various threads on this forum.

Not sure about the roof rails, as far as if you have to drill holes or not. Rails from Mazda do not include crossbars. If you get crossbars, get aftermarket flat bars because the Mazda ones are curved and aren't very user friendly.

Regarding floormats.... I don't know anyone on here that would swear by Mazda oem All-Weather Mats. The driver mat in particular wears out in a couple years....the little squares of rubber pop through and give. Cheaply made, at least in the front.
Weathertech is deffinately the way to go. I don't like the look of their large digital fit mats with the big sidewalls on them.... I like their all weather mats that look similar to the oem ones. They are heavy duty and will last forever and ever.

Regarding other accessories - if you are into a slightly louder and more pronounced engine, the easiest performance mod under the hood is to remove your airbox and pop off the side snorkel. That is, the snorkel pipe pointing towards the fender. It's rediculous how much the sound changes just by that alone.

Regarding TPMS sensors and winter setup - I got new tires a bit ago, and bought new TPMS sensors BBM2-37140B off of eBay. New "oem" for $119.95usd with free shipping.
I say "oem" but really they are not "oem" because they're made by Continental and supplied to Mazda. Anyhow, if you perform some research about Continental's acquisition of VDO who made the older sensors back in the day, Continental is doing some pretty neat things and their latest sensors are pretty rock solid.

I would highly recommend going with the Continental sensors due to the fact that some of the knock-off brands, and there are many, may not be as reliable.
If a sensor goes out, you have to dis-mount the tire. I think its worth it to get the ones that can be relied on. Who knows how long the knock offs will work for....3 or 4 years? who knows.

But to more directly answer your question, when you get sensors installed inside your winter wheels, they will have to be "matched" to your car.
My local trustworthy tire guy has a machine that does it, but not every tire shop can do it. If your tire shop can't, you'd have to take it to the dealer or somewhere that can.
A question I had was can you mount the sensors, balance the wheels, mount the tires, and then take it to the dealer to the sensors matched.... I don't know the answer to that question. It might have to be done right after the sensors are installed but before the tire is mounted? I dunno.

Welcome and enjoy the forums!

Roof Rails- Definitely go with the OEM Mazda accessory roof rack. You can choose just the side rails (for looks) or with the cross bars so it will be functional. The holes for installation were pre-drilled on my 2012 and installation was fairly simple.

Floor mats- I highly recommend WeatherTech products, their quality is top-notch. Personally, I chose the FloorLiner (DigitalFit) for the 2nd/3rd row because it is one-piece with cutouts for the 2nd row seat tracks. It also has a slight lip around the outer edge to keep spills from going over the edge onto the carpeting.

I went with the All-Weather (rubber) mats for front because I like their look better than the FloorLiner up front. They are also made from a thicker rubber that seemed like it would be more comfortable.

OTHER ACCESSORIES-

If it doesnt have front and rear splash guards, I highly recommend them.

I also added the Stainless Steel Rear Bumper Guard to my 2012 CX-9 GT and it looks awesome!

An absolute must-have for the cargo area is the Rear Cargo Tray which is a 5-piece heavy-duty rubber liner. One piece covers the area behind the 3rd row seats and the back of the 3rd seat backs are also lined so when you fold them down, the entire cargo area is still lined. Each seat back has a flap that allows it to fold up and down and still fully cover the cargo area when the seats are down. Ive always had to fight with one-piece cargo mats that had to be removed to use the 3rd row seats in my previous SUVs, but this is an ingenious solution in comparison!

An absolute must-have for the cargo area is the “Rear Cargo Tray” which is a 5-piece heavy-duty rubber liner. One piece covers the area behind the 3rd row seats and the back of the 3rd seat backs are also lined so when you fold them down, the entire cargo area is still lined. Each seat back has a flap that allows it to fold up and down and still fully cover the cargo area when the seats are down.

Is that a Mazda OEM product, and if so do you happen to have a Part #?

Edit: Nevermind, I think i found it. Is this the one?
vvv

The Mazda 0000-8D-N03 cargo tray does work in the 2013 CX-9. There is a gap on the left side that provides a bit of access to the bin there, otherwise fit is perfect. Pics attached.

Last edited:
Is that a Mazda OEM product, and if so do you happen to have a Part #?

Edit: Nevermind, I think i found it. Is this the one?
vvv

Item# 0000-8D-N03

That's it!

The U.S. site that I order all my parts & accessories from includes a link to the INSTALLATION DIRECTIONS, so here's that link if you need it- CARGO TRAY

And here's the link to the Roof Rack on their site with INSTALLATION DIRECTIONS also, if you want to take a look- ROOF RACK

BTW, does the 2013 CX-9 still have the sub-compartment under the rear cargo floor? They deleted it on the 2010 Mazda3 5-door (the 2004-2009 had a cool sub-compartment and could be configured in several different ways). I have a 2006 Mazda3 5-door in addition to my 2012 CX-9, fyi.

I also noticed that they deleted the coin holder on the 2013 CX-9??? It's located near the driver's left knee on the 2012-earlier models. Why the heck would they get rid of it?

One of the very few things I truly missed when I bought my 2006 Mazda3, after driving Honda/Acura vehicles for my entire adult life, was a coin holder/compartment! There's even an open space about 4" x 2" and maybe 3" deep to the lower left side of the steering column that would be a perfect spot for one! I have no clue what that space is actually for? Instead I just use the ashtray, but I usually have to pull the insert out every time I need to get coins out....

But the 1st-gen Mazda3 also had feature that makes up for the lack of a coin holder- it has the LARGEST glovebox I've ever seen in a car! You can easily stash a 15" laptop in there along with the Owner's Manual....actually you could probably fit a few 15" laptops and still close the door! For years it was a mystery why it was so HUGE...but then I found out that on models equipped with the Navigation system, the inner workings of the system are mounted in there. Old school tech, to be sure.

Mazda still hasn't quite managed to offer a truly polished and seamlessly integrated navigation system yet.....but they are getting better. I intentionally avoided getting the NAV on my 2012 CX-9 because of the low-res display and annoying controls....

BTW, does the 2013 CX-9 still have the sub-compartment under the rear cargo floor?

Yes I believe it does.

Mazda still hasn't quite managed to offer a truly polished and seamlessly integrated navigation system yet.....but they are getting better. I intentionally avoided getting the NAV on my 2012 CX-9 because of the low-res display and annoying controls....

I don't have NAV, but I believe the screen stays the same on the 2013s with or without. The touchscreen is nice, but small (only 5.8" compared to everyone else's 7-8").

I really like the Bose stereo but I'm disappointed that I'm not getting any browsing ability with my iphone over the streaming bluetooth. My iphone 4 is supposedly AVRCP 1.4 compliant but I'm not getting full functionality on the vehicle screen.

I don't have NAV, but I believe the screen stays the same on the 2013s with or without. The touchscreen is nice, but small (only 5.8" compared to everyone else's 7-8").

I really like the Bose stereo but I'm disappointed that I'm not getting any browsing ability with my iphone over the streaming bluetooth. My iphone 4 is supposedly AVRCP 1.4 compliant but I'm not getting full functionality on the vehicle screen.

It baffles me how different trim levels and option packages are in Canada compared to the States.

In Canada, the 2013 CX-9 comes in two trim levels- GS and GT. The GS is available with FWD or AWD and is basically equivalent to our ‘Sport’ trim level. But the GS AWD has an option Luxury Package that adds Power Moonroof, Leather or Leather/Suede Upholstery, 4-way Power Passenger Seat and Driver’s Seat Power Lumbar. The GS AWD with Luxury Package is pretty close tour our mid-level Touring model.

The Canadian GT is AWD only and the only options are the Navigation Package (Navigation System & Power Liftgate) and Rear-Entertainment System.

In the U.S., the Grand Touring (GT for short) is available with FWD or AWD. The primary option is the ‘GT Tech Package’ which includes Power Moonroof, Navigation, Bose Centerpoint Surround Sound and SiriusXM sat radio. The Rear Seat Entertainment System w/ Bose & Sirius Package can be selected instead but you sacrifice the Power Moonroof for the Rear DVD player.

I couldn’t figure out how you had a 2013 GT without NAV but with BOSE….until I checked out the Mazda Canada site! =)

In 2012, the CX-9 Grand Touring in the U.S. was available with a Moonroof/Bose Package (also added the Power Liftgate, 6-CD changer, SIRIUS sat radio and, on models w/o NAV, a 4.3” multi-information display) and NAV was a standalone option.

I was surprised that the BOSE audio system wasn’t standard on the Grand Touring when I was shopping for my 2012. But the vast majority of GT models had the Moonroof/Bose Package just as the majority of 2013 Grand Touring models have the GT Tech Package. I ran across a few 2012 GTs without the Moonroof/Bose and the dealers could barely give them away!

Anyway, the Audio/NAV interface is the same on 2013 models whether they actually have NAV or not. The cool thing is that NAV can be added later for $500-ish and it’s pretty much plug-and-play. The only problem is that the display is quite small.

I love my Bose audio system also, but don’t even get me started on Bluetooth compatibility ‘issues’! Compatibility with Windows Phone was the last thing they had in mind when they designed the system…but the same is true of most (if not all) the other Large Crossovers. But I’ve learned to live with it….

The Canadian GT is AWD only and the only options are the Navigation Package (Navigation System & Power Liftgate) and Rear-Entertainment System.

I couldn’t figure out how you had a 2013 GT without NAV but with BOSE….until I checked out the Mazda Canada site! =)

Yep, you got it. We 'almost' bought a GS AWD w/ Luxury Pkg, and even had a deal signed but my wife changed her mind and we went back the next day and UPsold ourselves (lol). Worked out an equivalent deal on a GT, but had to go with her #2 color choice unfortunately.

don’t even get me started on Bluetooth compatibility ‘issues’! Compatibility with Windows Phone was the last thing they had in mind when they designed the system…but the same is true of most (if not all) the other Large Crossovers.

Well, is the hard-wired iphone/ipod interface at least somewhat "normal" in the CX-9? (as in, can you do full menu browsing etc. for albums/artist/tracks, etc. and see everything on your screen? ) I love the ipod functionality in my '09 335i. I don't care that it's not wireless streaming... it works flawlessly (but does require BMW's proprietary usb cable).

And what cable is required in the mazda? Do we just use the normal white apple charging cord and plug that into the usb port, or is there a proprietary mazda cable required?

Yep, you got it. We 'almost' bought a GS AWD w/ Luxury Pkg, and even had a deal signed but my wife changed her mind and we went back the next day and UPsold ourselves (lol). Worked out an equivalent deal on a GT, but had to go with her #2 color choice unfortunately.

You guys DEFINITELY made the right choice! The 20" wheels and chrome door handles alone give the vehicle a totally upscale look!

I also took a quick peek at the features you get on the GT that aren't offered on the GS w/ Luxury Pkg-

Xenon HID headlights w/ LED Daytime Running Lamps
Fog Lights

Blind Spot Monitoring System (which is one of my favorite features now!)
BOSE Audio system
Rear Backup Sensors
SiriusXM w/ 6-month FREE Subscription

So what was the #1 Color Choice if Aluminum Metallic Mica was #2?

If I could go back and change one thing about my purchase, it would be my color choice! :(

The 2012 and prior CX-9 models with Sand Leather were actually a two-tone that looks great (to me)- SAND 2-tone

So I decided that Sand Leather was a MUST....which meant my favorite exterior color, Liquid Silver Metallic, wasn't an option. I don't do DARK colored cars, so that ruled out Brilliant Black and Stormy Blue; Copper Red did NOTHING for me, so that left Dolphin Gray or Crystal White Pearl as the only other choices. I had almost decided on the Dolphin Gray until I saw it in various lighting conditions and realized how 'green' it could look, so by default I went with the Crystal White Pearl.

For 2013, they added a color I like called Meteor Gray Mica and it can be had with Black or Sand interior. Had it been an option on the 2012, it would've been my choice. But I really wish I had gone with the Liquid Silver Metallic with Black Leather! The 2012 Black Leather didn't have the Suede accents the 2013 has, but it still looked very good. I still like my Sand Interior, but the Crystal White Pearl is looking pretty boring and it's barely nine months old. It's also a PAIN in the BUTT to keep clean! The last white car I had was a '93 Accord EX (a high-school graduation from my grandparents) and it was plain old Frost White, not Pearl. It wasn't nearly as difficult to keep clean, but it also didn't have the HUGE gaping grin of a front-end that my CX-9 has either! =)

But I really can't complain. My 2012 GT FWD stickered for $38,385 and I paid $29,706 (minus $7500 trade-in, making it $22,206) plus Sales Tax and $66 tag/title fee OTD! I got exactly what I wanted for my trade-in (2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer w/ 134k miles...the biggest PIECE of SH!T in the world) and paid Cash, so I really got a steal!

Well, is the hard-wired iphone/ipod interface at least somewhat "normal" in the CX-9? (as in, can you do full menu browsing etc. for albums/artist/tracks, etc. and see everything on your screen? ) I love the ipod functionality in my '09 335i. I don't care that it's not wireless streaming... it works flawlessly (but does require BMW's proprietary usb cable).

And what cable is required in the mazda? Do we just use the normal white apple charging cord and plug that into the usb port, or is there a proprietary mazda cable required?

To be honest, I'm not sure. The only cable I see listed is a 3.5mm 2-ft cable to connect to the AUX IN jack. The 2013 has the new audio system/touch screen and maybe iPod/iPhone functionality is built-in and you just need a regular USB cable???

My 2012 requires an iPod integration module that retails for $98.95, if I'm not mistaken. But I love my SIRIUS and don't use any sort of iPod or similar device. I did find the 6-CD changer (in-dash) a bit retro at first, but I forget that it's even there now. CD players are heading the way of the 8-track in cars and some 2014 models don't even offer them any more! Not that anything ever sucked quite as bad as the 8-track!!! I still remember the one in my mom's '77 Cutlass Supreme....and we only had a handful of 8-tracks, Anne Murray, Olivia Newton-John and Linda Rondstadt! It scarred me for life! (headshake

So what was the #1 Color Choice if Aluminum Metallic Mica was #2?

#1 was Zeal Red Mica.

Interesting that the names of the colors changed between 2012 and 2013. I wonder how different the two silvers and two reds are if you compared side by side. (Or are they same colors, just named differently in US and Canada?)

Back