New 2020 or 2021 CX-5?

pricing is pretty straight forward

2020 MSRP $36,235

2021 MSRP $37,405

difference: $1170

Better move? Maybe

Go to MazdaUSA and do an inventory search in your area. Near me around Boston there are 120 2020 CX-5's (including 14 GTRs), and 30 2021 CX-5's (including 6 GTRs). Numbers like that you might find the dealers more willing to deal on the 2020's. You can also get zero percent financing on a 2020, but I think the best they are offering now on a 2021 is 0.9 percent.

Mark

Thx. Dealers are showing some 500 to 1500 additional price reductions on 20s. So basically one saves about 2000 with 0% interest on the 2020 vs +2000 and .9 on a 2021. And that’s if u pay sticker for the 21. As

Both the 2020's and 2021's are being discounted. It will vary between markets but my overall assessment is that the 2020 will save you about $2K plus any advantage if you finance and can take advantage of better rates on the 2020's.

For this, you get a year newer model, the bigger multimedia display (along with processing and software improvements), and some juggling of trims and options which may (or may not) appeal.

If you're value conscious and willing to negotiate aggressively, I think the 2020's are the better deal. But if you like having the latest/greatest, aren't terribly price sensitive, and/or think you might trade in a few years, then the 2021s are the way to go. Of course, if the new trim lineup has something you want and can't get in the 2020 (e.g., you want the turbo in the cheaper CE without moving up to GTR or Sig), then you're going 2021. For example, if you want the turbo and don't need AWD, a 2021 FWD Turbo CE is $4500 cheaper than a 2020 GTR.

- Mark

Last edited:
So you think with aggressive haggling. One might achieve more than $2000 diff between the 2020 and 2021.
If I was to buy a 20. Then find out I could have had the 21 for about $1500 more, I’d be disappointed. i saw the new screen-in person. Much clearer. And if I bought a 2020 I would have to pay about $400 extra to get automatic start.

Someone mentioned the MyMazda smartphone app had the ability to remote start, but still needed to add the remote start option? What about starting from the keyfob?

The 2021s have remote start via the MyMazda smartphone app. I tried it and it works but with a short delay.

- Mark

That suggests to me that the car itself is connected to the mobile network (cell phone towers). ... Doin' a NOPE on that.

Now where did I put that extra roll of tinfoil lol :unsure:

I’m new to the car so don’t know the history of remote start, but at least on my 2021 CE (which is basically Touring trim), the capability is built in to the car if you go through the process of registering the vehicle with the MyMazda app. To start the car, you fire up the app and hold down the Start button in the app for a few seconds. You get an acknowledgement the command was sent and the car starts in 30 secs or so. Seems reliable to me, but I’ve only tried it in my driveway. You can also use the app to check on the car status, turn on lights, honk the horn, locate the car on a map, and probably other things I haven’t figured out yet.

Nothing on the car’s key fob for remote start.

Haven’t really thought too much yet about the tinfoil hat concerns.

- Mark

having remote start contingent on mobile network coverage is too crazy
CX5 do have smart keys don't they?

as I understand 2021s have "engine harmonization" that plays engine sounds from the speakers
is there still no way to disable it?

having remote start contingent on mobile network coverage is too crazy
CX5 do have smart keys don't they?

Unsure what you mean by smart keys. I think it depends on trim levels, but at least on the 2021 Touring and above, the key fob lets you get into and start the car while they’re in your pocket/ purse and have lock, tailgate, and panic functions. They’re not linked to things like seat or mirror positions. (The seat memory buttons don’t adjust mirrors either, which is annoying.). No remote start.

BTW, the key fobs look cool but are a bit bulky.... these are not keys I’m likely to keep on my key ring. And the process to open up the fob to access the mechanical key (for dead battery situations) is convoluted.

- Mark

Last edited:
Unsure what you mean by smart keys. I think it depends on trim levels, but at least on the 2021 Touring and above, the key fob lets you get into and start the car while they’re in your pocket/ purse and have lock, tailgate, and panic functions. They’re not linked to things like seat or mirror positions. (The seat memory buttons don’t adjust mirrors either, which is annoying.). No remote start.

BTW, the key fobs look cool but are a bit bulky.... these are not keys I’m likely to keep on my key ring. And the process to open up the fob to access the mechanical key (for dead battery situations) is convoluted.

- Mark
I set the seat memory to the key fob so that my seat position moves when I press the unlock door button, likewise when my wife unlocks the car it moves to her position. Check your owners manual for how to do it if your car has seat memory. The mirrors are large enough that their position does not have to be changed for us...

I set the seat memory to the key fob so that my seat position moves when I press the unlock door button, likewise when my wife unlocks the car it moves to her position. Check your owners manual for how to do it if your car has seat memory. The mirrors are large enough that their position does not have to be changed for us...

Didn’t know seat position memory could be tied into the fobs. I’ll check it out. Thanks,

- Mark

Didn’t know seat position memory could be tied into the fobs. I’ll check it out. Thanks,

- Mark

From what I can tell you can tie the seat position to each fob, and separately you can program two additional positions into the seats themselves. So you can actually have four different seat programs. I was also surprised they don't remember the mirror positions, but I do believe they remember the heads-up display settings.

Mark

Tin Foil Hat Mode = Full On
Part of the Terms and Usage Agreement to use the mobile app, according to an attorney friend of mine, as it is worded with the arbitration and indemnification legalese boilerplate, might have possible legal implications on my ability to seek any civil legal relief on any future issues I might encounter with the vehicle itself, not just the use of the app or online services. He told me to not agree to it and forget about the app until he had more time to study the full extent of what I might be potentially signing away. I'm sure his tin foil hat is on pretty tight, but then he's a professional at uncovering stuff hidden in all kinds of shrinkwrap and click-to-agree legal agreements that ordinary consumers don't really understand the whole extent of what they're agreeing too.

Tin Foil Hat Mode = Full On
Part of the Terms and Usage Agreement to use the mobile app, according to an attorney friend of mine, as it is worded with the arbitration and indemnification legalese boilerplate, might have possible legal implications on my ability to seek any civil legal relief on any future issues I might encounter with the vehicle itself, not just the use of the app or online services. He told me to not agree to it and forget about the app until he had more time to study the full extent of what I might be potentially signing away. I'm sure his tin foil hat is on pretty tight, but then he's a professional at uncovering stuff hidden in all kinds of shrinkwrap and click-to-agree legal agreements that ordinary consumers don't really understand the whole extent of what they're agreeing too.
Is there a website that explains this further?

Latest posts

Back