Neighbors 2019 CX-5 OEM security hacked. (maybe) Purse stolen

What's funny is that as these cars age, the day will come where a vulnerability will be found and the manufacturer will tell you to buy a new car because they won't patch your iPhone app.

Probably this.

The thing about those fob hacks is that using a Faraday bag for storage will be of marginal benefit. The key is transmitting all the time. It can be recorded for later playback when you are in the grocery store lot, your workplace, or when the bad guy is next to you at a traffic light. Or the bad guy can record your fob when you arrive at those places and just steal it right then.

Storage security when at home would be the least of my worries, and my lowest exposure point.

Last edited:
Some method of two step verification would seem like a next step.

The faraday cage joke has been trotted out so many times that the joke itself has become an absurdity.

Some method of two step verification would seem like a next step.

The faraday cage joke has been trotted out so many times that the joke itself has become an absurdity.

Funny, I thought the same thing. "What You Have" [fob] + "What You Know" [password]

Gotta go back to a physical key. Or maybe use the fob's RFID chip to start the car 100% of the time, and save the transmitter for the courtesy stuff so at least you prevent vehicle theft. Heck, this might be doable via PCM reprogram to disable starting with the fob's transmission.

Last edited:
A profile confirmation that's only activated once the service is requested. The, always on, or, always logged in, format seems like asking for trouble.

Back