need some opinions

which car do i get?

• 2003 MP5, ('roof, abs, leather, 30k miles) $14990 OTD (approx.)

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • 2004 M3, ('roof, abs/side bags, 9500 miles) $16000 OTD

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • 2006 M3, ('roof, abs/side bags, zero-40 miles) 18700 OTD

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • get a frikkin beater

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

keleko

Banned
:
'06 Black Mazda 3s Touring
so, which one do i go for?

1. 2003 MP5, ('roof, abs, leather, 30k miles) $14990 OTD (approx.)

2. 2004 M3, ('roof, abs/side bags, 9500 miles) $16000 OTD

3. 2006 M3, ('roof, abs/side bags, zero-40 miles) 18700 OTD

all with AT, and otherwise loaded

$3500 down, figure 9% for the used car finance rates and 7% for the new (rough estimates)

coin flippin' time

don't REALLY want another MP5, after getting crushed in my last one
don't REALLY want a 2yr old car for only 2700 less than a new one
don't REALLY wanna pay for a new car for 5 years (or the 04 for 5yrs)

rental car is supposed to go back today, but i'll have to keep it and pay out of pocket for another few days while i figure out what i want and financing

Last edited:
Remember that prices are always negotiable...especially with used cars.

BTW, if you have abs on the MP5 you'll also get side airbags (in the US at least).

chuyler1 said:
Remember that prices are always negotiable...especially with used cars.

BTW, if you have abs on the MP5 you'll also get side airbags (in the US at least).

these prices are already talked down as far as i can get them (except the new car, i should get another 2% lower off base cost)

and protege5 never came with side bags that i ever knew of

but if it did/does then the poll is closed - easy choice (first)

i would go for the 06, seems a little expensive but i thnk you could go down a bit further and get much better financing. i got 3% over 5 years when i bought my 3.
the 04 seems to be priced well for the low mileage. I was checking the value on mine with 26k miles on it and it was 14k dealer trade, which means i could get more from a private party.

expensive maybe, but the numbers i have posted are OTD (out the door), meaning the car itself, taxes, fees, etc included in that price

put a plate on it and drive off the lot

but if the MP5 with ABS also has side-impact airbags, then it's a clear choice

i still can't tell even from googling if it does or not
i see side impact, but only coupled with passenger
i.e., "passenger side impact"
it's not clear if it's driver, plus passenger, PLUS side bags

Any 2003 P5 sold in the US that comes with ABS brakes will also have SAB (side airbags). The two options were bundled in a safety package and could not be ordered separately.

The same applies to the 6-disc in-dash changer and moonroof. If you have a moonroof, you will have the changer unless the previous owner replaced it with an aftermarket unit.

Anyway, the side airbags come out of the front seats upon impact. To confirm SAB, there should be a sticker that says "SRS" on the side of the seat closest to the door. To confirm ABS, when you turn the car on the abs light in the dash should light up and turn off after a few seconds.

I have them and can take pictures if you need more proof.

Last edited:
chuyler1 said:
Any 2003 P5 sold in the US that comes with ABS brakes will also have SAB (side airbags). The two options were bundled in a safety package and could not be ordered separately.

The same applies to the 6-disc in-dash changer and moonroof. If you have a moonroof, you will have the changer unless the previous owner replaced it with an aftermarket unit.

Anyway, the side airbags come out of the front seats upon impact. To confirm SAB, there should be a sticker that says "SRS" on the side of the seat closest to the door. To confirm ABS, when you turn the car on the abs light in the dash should light up and turn off after a few seconds.

I have them and can take pictures if you need more proof.

i've seen the ABS idiot light in the dash, but not the SAB or SRS tag anywhere in the 2003

the 2004 and up have SRS imprinted into the plastic on each pilar - very esy to identify

a pic of that would help me to identify it, thanks :)

"the side airbags come out of the front seats upon impact"
well, guess there's no replacing the seats with something more comftorable then, heh

mobomelter said:
i'd get a beater miata or rx7. but thats just because i like working on cars.

i don't mind working on cars, but i no longer have a place where i can do that

and, i just plain don't want a car with any problems

i personally would get a beater, but in your case a new car might be best.

On that note, if you are going to get a mazda3 get a 06 model. Alot of bugs are worked out as far as I know.

My 2cents...

I'd go with the 2006 M3. The MY04 was the first one for the M3, personally I do not buy anything that has just been released. Besides, $2,700 difference in my opinion doesn't make up for two years more on the car.

If it can give you a reference, I got my 2006 M3 S Touring 5-door Manual 10 days ago for $17,100 (destination charge included) + taxes (5%) + plus a couple hundred for the paperwork. Sticker price was $18,175.

I gave 3,500 down + 1,200 for my old car trade-in ('97 Stratus ES with 85,000 miles). Financing sucks, 7.7% for 60 months, but I don't care as I'm going to refinance right away.

Interest rates have gone significantly up this year. In December 2004 I purchased a Sienna minivan for my wife and got 3.3% for 48 months.

I think it all depends on how much you want to spend. The New car is the obvious choice for me, but how much do you want to dish out for it?

Back