Need some new struts!!!

boyirish6

:
Mazda Protege5
Just looking for some good tips on some decent Struts from my P5. Should I go with Mazdas or can i use autozone, Advanced, Napa, struts. Just a daily driver not a speed demon!!! Thanks for any tips

what are you looking to do? just looking for some oem replacements? want to drop your car at all? If you want a upgrade tokico's are a great option! if you want oem you can probably find some through the buy&sell on this website. I would guess to stay away from the stealership for suspension as I guess it would cost an arm and a leg for this kind of stuff but maybe give them a call and see? Lots of forums have already talked about what kind of set ups people are running for different types of drivers. Use the search bar above and do some research.

i myself am running KYB's with Progress springs. (about 1.8 - 2 drop)
i was thinking of getting tokicos since everyone else has, but i didnt think the price was worth it for a DD.
i am very happy with them and you cant beet a lifetime warranty that can be swapped out easily from any oreilly auto parts whom usual have them in stock

i myself am running KYB's with Progress springs. (about 1.8 - 2 dop)
i was thinking of getting tokicos since everyone else has, but i didnt think the price was worth it for a DD.
i am very happy with them and you cant beet a lifetime warranty that can be swapped out easily from any oreilly auto parts whom usual have them in stock

How do they ride for you? Also how much did the progress springs run you and are they the gr2's?

I honestly went cheap on struts. I ebayed the cheapest struts on there (stagg), and paired them with Tein S-Tech springs.

The rears are still perfectly fine - no absurd movement, no excess stiffness - just right. I blew the fronts hitting an 8" manhole on a construction road and going airborne. 100 bucks for replacement fronts - and I'm back to a nice ride. I've ran these for about 6-7 months, and won't complain one bit.

If I wanted to spend an arm and a leg - I'd get coilovers. If I wanted the good stuff, I'd do tokico illuminas. I just got something that was cost-effective .. and it so happened to work out for me.

go with the matched tokico springs and shocks. Moderate drop only 1.4 front and 1.7 rear. They feel close to stock, just a little more harsh.

The kit number is the HPK247 I got mine on street unit for 515 shipped for all four, used a coupon code I found online. You will probably need new endlinks, I had to cut mine off and so do most people. I got mine for $55.16 shipped online.

How do they ride for you? Also how much did the progress springs run you and are they the gr2's?
i love the ride. my stock springs only had about 50k from previous owner and were perfectly fine.
The ride is stiffer but not enough to be an annoyance. in fact its smooth but doesn't bottom out or rub with 5 people inthe car
unfortunately i bought the progress springs used from a old member and I've never seen progress springs pop up again

oh and one is gr2 and the rest are excel g. they are the same thing except for the color.
and you will need to buy endlinks

Last edited:
go with the matched tokico springs and shocks. Moderate drop only 1.4 front and 1.7 rear. They feel close to stock, just a little more harsh.

The kit number is the HPK247 I got mine on street unit for 515 shipped for all four, used a coupon code I found online. You will probably need new endlinks, I had to cut mine off and so do most people. I got mine for $55.16 shipped online.

Now if I bought this kit what else do i need? when asembling the strut do I need the tower bushing or do they come with kit? You say harsh ride how stiff is it? I now live int West Virgina and the roads SUCK!!! Potholes everywhere.

you WILL need new endlink (get MOOG 2002 ford escape v6 awd ) for the front and make sure the grease fitting is on the side and not on the top.
those endlinks are much beefier
and just about any rears will do. i got master Pro rear endlinks which were also much thicker than stock.

depending on how your stocks are, you might want to get all the plastics which are the boot and whatever the top and bottom things are called (the part that actually touches the springs)

Back