Need help wiring rear fog light, 2015 CX-5 touring

I moved from the USA to the Netherlands where it is mandatory to have a rear fog light on the left side. Ordered switch and lamp but cannot find wiring diagram. Who can help me? I see a lot of items about this topic but I want to use the original parts and wiring. Also need help by programming FORSCAN while the indicator on the dash has to be enabled.

Haven't heard of anyone trying this. I live in USA and swapped my lower "reflectors" for LED's that I wired into the rear running light. You could always wire them directly to the front fog light or an independent switch.. of course that's not an oem solution.

yes in Eu its mandatory to have rear fog lights or at least one and they are in the rear bottom relfectors in the US models.
John, yes you would need the wiring diagrams from an eu model.
For forscan check the mazda3revolution forum asbuilt and ask there. There is excel file with all the known parameters. Most are from Europe.
Somebody therr may also have the diagrams.

What is the point of fog lights facing backwards? Seems like that would blind the guys behind you.

What is the point of fog lights facing backwards? Seems like that would blind the guys behind you.
They are red lights mounted low for better visibility and wired to the front fog lights, but not for backing up in a fog.

did you read this post?

yes in Eu its mandatory to have rear fog lights or at least one and they are in the rear bottom relfectors in the US models.
John, yes you would need the wiring diagrams from an eu model.
For forscan check the mazda3revolution forum asbuilt and ask there. There is excel file with all the known parameters. Most are from Europe.
Somebody therr may also have the diagrams.
Interesting, I remember those lights from trips to Europe or countries with EU standards, such as Hong Kong, before it went back to the Chinese.

The other interesting thing I remember, which I don't know if it is required still, was what I call half parking lights. There was a switch that turned on dim, left or right side parking lights, depending on RH or LH drive car (I saw this on UK/Hong Kong cars also) so that you would not clip a car pulled over to the side of the narrow roads.

When there is thick fog the cars driving behind can see you when the rear fog light(s) are turned on. The usual rear lights are not visible enough during heavy fog conditions unless at very close distance. Helps prevent cars driving behind from hitting you I guess.

Yeah the side lamps is still a feature on some german cars. not required but cool enough when you park for short periods at night. You turn the blinker switch either left or right and keep light switch on specific setting. Turn off the car and depending on blinker switch direction specific side of the headlamps parking light is kept lit.

Last edited:
When there is thick fog the cars driving behind can see you when the rear fog light(s) are turned on. The usual rear lights are not visible enough during heavy fog conditions unless at very close distance. Helps prevent cars driving behind from hitting you I guess.
Yes, I experienced this very phenomenon in very heavy fog. I came up suddenly on a car, and his regular tail lights only became visible when almost on top of him. The rear fog lights on other cars did help tremendously, and those rear fog lights are extremely bright when people use the fog lights and there is no fog, even if they are low down, below the bumper...

Back