Need a new engine. 2003 Mazdaspeed 2.0L fit 2002?

to run it boosted you need the MSP ecu (and manual trans). the engine itself (in NA form) is the same.

if running boosted you still need the auto ECU, and have to figure out another way of upping fuel delivery to match the boost (BEGI FMU is the typical way)... but this is different from what the OP is asking.

I just mean tranny control. The MSP ECU (required for MSP spec engine) wouldn't be able to control the auto tranny. So it would go, but not shift out of first. lol

I just mean tranny control. The MSP ECU (required for MSP spec engine) wouldn't be able to control the auto tranny. So it would go, but not shift out of first. lol

right, but the stock ECU will control the stock trans, and will control fuel and timing for the MSP engine in NA form just fine.

I was jk. I'm just assuming that they would come with... since it's an alleged MSP engine.

But if its just a block and internals, etc? That would be fine, since the block and internals are the same.

I was jk. I'm just assuming that they would come with... since it's an alleged MSP engine.

But if its just a block and internals, etc? That would be fine, since the block and internals are the same.

engines from a junk yard usually come with little more than a longblock, head, valve cover, intake mani, sometimes an exhaust mani, and if you're very lucky a flexplate/flywheel and clutch. you reuse the rest of the parts off your old motor, or pay extra for them.

NEVER will it come with an ECU or harness.

Only time you get that stuff is with a specialty JDM engine importer or something along those lines... and you pay the associated premium

Sounds like I'm better off avoiding the MSP engine. Can't afford much downtime with the car. Unfortunately, seems there are more MSP engines available with low miles than regular 2.0L. Why's that??? More power equals more crashes? By the way, the exchange has been super. Like the thought process. Thanks!!

Sounds like I'm better off avoiding the MSP engine. Can't afford much downtime with the car. Unfortunately, seems there are more MSP engines available with low miles than regular 2.0L. Why's that??? More power equals more crashes? By the way, the exchange has been super. Like the thought process. Thanks!!

More power = More want to go zoom + Usually inexperienced drivers = Crashed MSP

this was an isuzu impulse, not a mazda protege... little less support... I ended up swapping in a junk yard engine for $500.. but it sat so long the oil pump set go and I seized the cams a few thousand miles later... that car went to the scrap yard the day I picked up the MSP. lol drove 3 cars in between while I hoped to rebuild it again.

You had an Isuzu Impulse?? Was it the RS w/ Lotus suspension?? I had a '91 RS Turbo AWD w/ 5 speed a few yrs back. Bad A little car.

You had an Isuzu Impulse?? Was it the RS w/ Lotus suspension?? I had a '91 RS Turbo AWD w/ 5 speed a few yrs back. Bad A little car.

no, I had the wagon back (thus the SN), which was as rare, but less desirable than the RS, still lotus susp. I had an RS block ready to go in, in prep for turbo, but never got there, that car went to scrap the day I picked up the MSP. some day I want another one... maybe.

Back