Need a new engine. 2003 Mazdaspeed 2.0L fit 2002?

acsipres

Hello everyone. I've been trying to do some research on my Protege5 and kept finding links to this forum so I thought I'd join. Seems like an excellent place to exchange info.

Recently the engine went on my car. I have a 2002 Protege5, AT. I've been looking around for a replacement engine (mine has 120,000 miles) and there is a reputable salvage yard about 70 miles away that has a 2003 Mazdaspeed 2.0L with 50,000 miles on it. Does anyone know if a 2003 Mazdaspeed engine will fit in a 2002? Can I use my original transmission? Any special considerations I should know? If this engine doesn't work, there is another one a little further away, again a 2003 engine but this is a regular 2.0L, not a Mazdaspeed. Are the 2003 and 2002 interchangeable?

Any help would be great. I need to get this car back on the road as soon as possible and can't afford to be wrong.

it will fit, it is basically the same engine with the exception of the windage tray (between oil pan and engine block). you can use the one on your current engine.

WOW that was fast. I'm impressed. So even though my 2002 does not have a Mazdaspeed engine, the other one should slide right in huh? You think the 2002 tranny will fit as well? I've seen posts about the mazdaspeed exhaust being different. I guess I should plan to replace this too right?

the only difference is what I mentioned, the trans is the same (assuming its manual) other than the MSP came with a limited slip diff. if its auto, it'll still bolt in.

if its auto, you'll also have to change over the flywheel.

Thanks a bunch for the insight. The 2003 Mazdaspeed engine came from a car that was an automatic as mine is. The flywheel should be fine right? I'm not that knowledgeable about this stuff and trying to learn enough to make sure that the guy that does the engine swap covers the bases. As for the windage tray, wouldn't the newer motor already have this? Why would I need to scavenge this from the original engine?

Thanks for the feedback. So I'll make sure the flywheel taken car of. What do you think about the level of effort and time. Should I expect a seasoned mechanic to spend 5, 10... hours to do this?

oh, you're having someone else do it? its a weekend job for me... a shop will charge a standard number of labor hours to do it, and it won't be cheap.

no offense to the OP, but it doesn't sound like thats the level project he should tackle if he wants to come out the other side with a working car.

+1

You should also gain more car knowledge before even thinking of attempting a project like this. Plus, If they salvage yard says that a Mazdaspeed Protege engine came from an automatic car, they may be A. Unaware of what they're talking about. or B. Trying to take you for a ride and get more $$$.

Again, no offense to you, but its not as easy as it looks, though it technically will work.

+1

You should also gain more car knowledge before even thinking of attempting a project like this. Plus, If they salvage yard says that a Mazdaspeed Protege engine came from an automatic car, they may be A. Unaware of what they're talking about. or B. Trying to take you for a ride and get more $$$.

Again, no offense to you, but its not as easy as it looks, though it technically will work.

sounds like he's looking for a used engine to take to a shop to have them put in. when I blew up my isuzu, the shop refused to swap a used engine in..

shop wouldn't do it because they couldn't warranty a used motor, I woulda gotten a 12K engine warranty if I paid 5K to have them drop in a new engine.

shop wouldn't do it because they couldn't warranty a used motor, I woulda gotten a 12K engine warranty if I paid 5K to have them drop in a new engine.

screw that you can get a remaned engien with a 3yr/unlimited warrenty(sticklers on maint recepits) installed for less then that!

this was an isuzu impulse, not a mazda protege... little less support... I ended up swapping in a junk yard engine for $500.. but it sat so long the oil pump set go and I seized the cams a few thousand miles later... that car went to the scrap yard the day I picked up the MSP. lol drove 3 cars in between while I hoped to rebuild it again.

A little mixing of apples and oranges. The Mazdaspeed didn't come with an automatic and it was never suggested by the shop selling it. There is another shop selling a 2003 2.0l that came from a car that had an automatic which is why there may be some confusion in this dialog. I work for a Chevy dealership and the used inventory manager recommended the two places I'm considering for the engines. Both warranty the engines. He also has a buddy who swaps engines in wholesale cars regularly and this is the one I'm looking to do this. I was told that he'd probably do it for $700.00. Is that a good deal? I was intriqued by the idea of using the Mazdaspeed engine but certainly don't want to go down that avenue if it's not a nature fit. If it fits where the original 2002 2.0l came out and only needs the flywheel swapped, then I may consider this route.

By the way, any recommendations on the places that sell remanufactured engines? I'm in New England.

this was an isuzu impulse, not a mazda protege... little less support... I ended up swapping in a junk yard engine for $500.. but it sat so long the oil pump set go and I seized the cams a few thousand miles later... that car went to the scrap yard the day I picked up the MSP. lol drove 3 cars in between while I hoped to rebuild it again.

Didn't matter the make/model of the car when I last looked into it as long as it wasnt something high end.

A little mixing of apples and oranges. The Mazdaspeed didn't come with an automatic and it was never suggested by the shop selling it. There is another shop selling a 2003 2.0l that came from a car that had an automatic which is why there may be some confusion in this dialog. I work for a Chevy dealership and the used inventory manager recommended the two places I'm considering for the engines. Both warranty the engines. He also has a buddy who swaps engines in wholesale cars regularly and this is the one I'm looking to do this. I was told that he'd probably do it for $700.00. Is that a good deal? I was intriqued by the idea of using the Mazdaspeed engine but certainly don't want to go down that avenue if it's not a nature fit. If it fits where the original 2002 2.0l came out and only needs the flywheel swapped, then I may consider this route.

By the way, any recommendations on the places that sell remanufactured engines? I'm in New England.

Ill have to get with a buddy and see if he still remembers where he got his engine. He ordered it online and had a shop put it in. Keep in mind their is a hughe difference in rebuilt and reman engine.

Wait. If your car is auto, then an MSP engine wouldn't work anyway. You need an MSP ECU to control the engine. The auto ECU controls the transmission. Since the MSP never came auto, its a no go. But if there's a regular motor elsewhere... you'd be fine. Am I right MSP guys?

And it IS a natural fit. The engine blocks are exactly the same. But that idea just went out the window...

Wait. If your car is auto, then an MSP engine wouldn't work anyway. You need an MSP ECU to control the engine. The auto ECU controls the transmission. Since the MSP never came auto, its a no go. But if there's a regular motor... you'd be fine. Am I right MSP guys?

And it IS a natural fit. The engine blocks are exactly the same. But that idea just went out the window...

Thats a first.... From what I understand the engines are the same except cams, oil tray thing, and oil cooler all of which can be removed or swapped. As far as the auto parts I think that can be swapped between the two.

Back