Need a Car Cover for Protege5

My P5 has been sitting in the drive way for a few month now. I need to buy a car cover to protect it from the elements (mostly the hot sun in southern California). I've never had a car cover before, so I don't know anything about them. I know there are some thick ones and some really cheap looking ones, but I don't know what are the pros and cons on each. Can anyone suggest a good car cover to purchase for the P5?

Here is one that I found online, but I am not sure whether it would be good one:
http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=1049

Last edited:
Without having a garage, the harmful effects of the great outdoors beat down a car. From headlight fading, dashboard cracking, to interior fading, birds, tree sap, and the sun love to decay our cars. My least favorite, headlight fading has gripped quite a large portion of proteges. I really wanted to maintain the shiny appearance the headlights have, ao I looked into a car cover.

Now it turns out car cover selection is very important. There are many different types of car covers and selecting the wrong type may actually damage your car's finish. There are specifics you must know. Breathable is one such term. Breathable allows moisture to travel through the fabric. This is crucial. If moisture is trapped beneath the fabric and cannot escape to the dry atmosphere, your car is in for some bad days. Outdoor and Indoor are other basic ideas. Outdoor covers emphasize characteristics which shield against UVA and UVB rays (Most important to me), do not allow acidic bird droppings to penetrate, withhold tree sap, and protect against denting. Say a basketball decides to knock your door, an outdoor cover's many layers will cushion the impact. An Indoor will not do so well.

I thoroughly suggest you invest in a quality custom outdoor car cover. Make sure it lists breathable, and is outdoor. A close fit will prevent the wind from scraping the fabric against the car's body, which is also important. My cover has taken quite a few bird bombs and maintained a cool temp inside the car. I love it.

One note though. An outdoor car cover seems to attract aerosols and white haze. I'm not sure what it is but after a few days of not driving, fine grey sand covers the lower of end of the fenders and a white haze coats the windshield. It comes off easily, but it never appeared prior to the cover. I'm not too worried though. The benefits are too great.

I have an Evolution 4 car cover, if you must know.

Attachments

• IMG_0051.JPG
    IMG_0051.JPG
    755 KB · Views: 157
Thanks for the info.

So based on what you wrote, I should get something breathable and specially made for outdoor.

But what made you choose the (covercraft) evolution 4 car cover instead of the other one?

How much did you pay for yours?

Thanks for the info.

So based on what you wrote, I should get something breathable and specially made for outdoor.

But what made you choose the (covercraft) evolution 4 car cover instead of the other one?

How much did you pay for yours?

I chose the evolution 4 since it has enchanced UVA and UVB protection. Since the sun's rays hurt nearly every exterior and cabin interior part, I aimed for a specialized UVA and UVB protectant. I spent about 220 for the cover and lock. There are cheaper custom car covers. I bought mine at autoanything.com which has a comparison sheet. I bought the cheapest cover that had the "best" UV protection.

I found some decent ones from empire. This cover was a replacement cover for a custom cover that cost three times as much and started leaking water and collecting dust under the cover in less than a year. My Empire cover is 4 months old, has survived numerous strong thunderstorms and seering Texas sun, and so far is exceeding my expectations. I have 3 cars under cover, soon the other two will be covered by Empire.

http://empirecovers-review.blogspot.com/

My P5 has been sitting in the drive way for a few month now. I need to buy a car cover to protect it from the elements (mostly the hot sun in southern California). I've never had a car cover before, so I don't know anything about them. I know there are some thick ones and some really cheap looking ones, but I don't know what are the pros and cons on each. Can anyone suggest a good car cover to purchase for the P5?

Here is one that I found online, but I am not sure whether it would be good one:
http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=1049

Best car cover bar none is covercraft weathershield, it is light and easy on off, I had the evolution and while it is a good cover, getting on and off the car is a chore because it is thick and awkward. Got to the point where I got sick fighting with it and left it off most of the time. Plus when it is wet it is ten times worse, wheras the weathershield a quick shake & most of the water is gone. Downside is they are not cheap but like everything you get what you pay for. I am on my second one on my Subaru first lasted for 5 years before falling apart. Oh and they are not universal fit, they are custom fit for the car which means they fit snug.

Pat.

Back