NAV LCD output

ophten

:
Mazdaspeed3 GT
Has anyone found any documentation on the Navteq unit that's built into the MS3?

Ostensibly, I'd like to hook this up to a car computer for ODBII output and other onboard vehicle information (and the ability to do something extra silly like MS Media Center or Apple Frontrow wouldn't be awful).

If anyone has found part numbers, technical documentation, etc. for any pieces of the NAV, that'd be a great start (unless of course you've already found a pin out or VGA adapter (ha!)).

ophten said:
Has anyone found any documentation on the Navteq unit that's built into the MS3?

Ostensibly, I'd like to hook this up to a car computer for ODBII output and other onboard vehicle information (and the ability to do something extra silly like MS Media Center or Apple Frontrow wouldn't be awful).

If anyone has found part numbers, technical documentation, etc. for any pieces of the NAV, that'd be a great start (unless of course you've already found a pin out or VGA adapter (ha!)).

I would start out by yanking the DVD player out of the glove and seeing if there is a video connector. I have a feeling, its got a plug on the back for a wiring harness though.:(

Haltech said:
I would start out by yanking the DVD player out of the glove and seeing if there is a video connector. I have a feeling, its got a plug on the back for a wiring harness though.:(

Yeah, last time I felt around behind it I didn't note anything which "felt" like a video connector of normal sort (RCA, VGA, et al.) I haven't yet found a way to remove it, but the last (only) time I checked was in a poorly lit area with a couple drinks in me. Needless to say, other than some poking around I didn't try and jerk it out in my, possibly more than slightly, inebriated state. I'll see if I can steal/buy/otherwise acquire a service manual for the vehicle and set about removing her.

funkyman said:
Let me know too because i would like to watch dvd`s as well
Livingrooms are for watching DVDs. Cars are for driving. Don't do this, even if you could.

Rotus8 said:
Livingrooms are for watching DVDs. Cars are for driving. Don't do this, even if you could.

Rotus, I definitely hear you there. Mainly I'd like to get it to see how it would work for ODBII output and maybe screw around with digital instead of analog/mechanical gauges.

Does anyone know if other branded (Audi, Nissan, etc) nav disks work in our dvd based nav? i tried putting a dvd in to see what it would do, but it said insert nav disk..

id like to get something in there, even just for the "neatness" factor

OK if i buy this gadgetfrom Kenwood can i basically hook up anything to the stock MS3 Bose and NAV.

Kenwood's Carpotal KOS-V500 Expansion Solution lets you can build the ultimate A/V system without replacing your the factory system. Add high-speed iPod control of both audio and video. Enjoy navigation, satellite radio, Bluetooth technology, and HD Radio, and much more. The KOS-V500 even includes two relay control outputs for control of garage doors, gates, trunk releases—the sky’s the limit!

Interfaces with Factory Radios to Build the Ultimate A/V System
Control with the KOS-L702 touch-screen
Control with the supplied remote and use existing LCD screen
Selectable AM/FM tuner with RDS+
Can be used as a stand-alone source with KOS-L702
USB Port for iPod or Compatible Player
High Speed iPod Control of Audio and Video
Includes 1 AV input/1 output for Video Sources
Front, Rear and Sub (2V) pre-outs for Amplifiers
Reverse Camera input
System E’s Crossovers
RGB input for Navigation
2 Relay Control Outputs: garage door, trunk, lights, etc.
4-Line text display for Satellite, iPod, USB, etc.
Satellite Radio Ready, Bluetooth Ready, HD Radio Ready

is anyone aware as to whether or not the nav box in the 3 is the same as the 6 and 5? i would imagine so.

Back