My header egr port block idea

los a

:
none
Temporary until I get the egr pipe extended. Or for those who want to run a filter on the egr pipe...M2 header for $80 via amazon. So why not. All the headers for the p5 are cheap so I dont see the need to spend more than that... A dime and a little copper washer... I got this idea from blocking water and exhaust ports on rotary engines with quarters... lol

10001000_745177065545334_6171934649055240603_o.jpg

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken there is an actual nut that fits over it and seals it completely, sadly I never found out where people got it

I have an .89 cent black metal cap on mine. 1/2 inch diameter, got mine from Lowe's. Could probably find one at any hardware store.

if you block off EGR flow, in this way or any other. will you get a check engine light if the valve itself is still plugged in?? i know this has been asked before, but i've never read a concrete answer!!

i've got a header to put on, and an original style EGR valve on the car but instead of putting the canadian revised EGR on (which i have from my old car) i just wanted to block it off and be done with it. BUT i can't have a code because emissions testing here is done purely through obd2 port and if there are any codes, or 2 or more systems are not "ready" according to the car it will fail.

yeah you get an insufficient EGR flow error. But you could run a hose of filtered air ( not sure if before or after MAF is better?) to the EGR. The valve should be good forever not dealing with exhaust. Could use plastic since won't get hot.

When the EGR opens, the MAP sensor looks for a pressure increase due to exhaust gasses entering the manifold. I have mine feeding into the boosted air stream after the MAF and have not had a problem. Although, before the MAF would make more sense, since the exhaust gas is not metered.

When the EGR opens, the MAP sensor looks for a pressure increase due to exhaust gasses entering the manifold. I have mine feeding into the boosted air stream after the MAF and have not had a problem. Although, before the MAF would make more sense, since the exhaust gas is not metered.

I would be concerned about putting exhaust gas upstream (before) of the MAF, that sensor will get fouled up pretty quickly if not fail.

When I put on my header in September I left the EGR tube hanging behind the metal cap and the EGR bung. I haven't had a CEL yet. I've also heard of people putting filters on the tube too.

1939699_746495878746786_4713241305208486886_o.jpg

I ended up getting a piece of pipe and extended it to fit, then brazed it. The port on the header is not a 1/2" male pipe thread. Its some sort of flared fitting but even the 1/2" flared female will eventually leak. The hardware store plugs that u find will work but will not make a good seal.

With my egr pipe cut. My car idles like crap. I did not get a cel. Finishing it up now and will be cleaning the egr valve and putting in some NGK zfr5f-11 plugs to replace the iridums that the previous owner has on there.

I also contacted Megan Racing and bitched about the port not lining up with my egr tube and asked them what are they going to do to fix the problem... I got a return email asking for my phone number so that they can help me resolve this issue...

Still idles like crap... must be the front awr mount since I took off that heavy garbage can...

Btw, I cut off the bottom flange off the header and extended it past the oil pan. New flanges.
1960903_746535988742775_8881383384224375183_o.jpg

Back