My dealership made an "oops"

Someone probably came in and bought a ton of Mazda oil filters LOL. My local O'reilly's carries the Wix filter and I usually purchase 2 at a time since they're always out of stock.

Although it was complementary, the receipt showed it would have been $31.25 USD. It showed a 1WPE-14-302 filter, the gasket, 5 qts of Mobil Super Syn oil, a washer fluid top off. That seems too cheap and I'd be crazy to do the changes myself.

I disagree that you'd be crazy to do it yourself. I would absolutely do it myself vs. taking it to the dealership...

- You can do an oil change yourself for ~$25.
A 5-qt jug of Castrol W-20 is $19. OEM filters from my dealer get a 20% discount when buying 3 or more. They include the crush washers.

- Tires have to be rotated at every oil change, which the dealer will charge $20-$40 for.
So your $31.25 service is now up to $50 or $70.

- Using the dealer for simple service is a major waste of time and a hassle.
The time spent driving to/from the dealership, plus the 1-3 hours sitting in the lobby.
I can pull into my garage after work and have it all done in an hour, and that includes eating dinner while the oil is draining.

- You risk the incompetent lube techs screwing something up.
There are dozens (hundreds?) or stories, on this forum alone, of service techs screwing stuff up/damaging things/ect.
I know it is done right if I do it myself in my own garage.

Who said anything about working on it yourself?

Indy shops are not set up to deal with specific vehicles. This filter is a singular exception to my desire to keep my vehicle oem. Also, mazda techs have correct torque specs and limiters and so forth and it's all they do. Further, it's cheaper, usually. Lastly, indy shops that cost less than a dealer typically do trash work in my experience.

The dealer is also who deals with mazda on warranty claims.

In short, so many reasons not to use anyone but a dealer or yourself, and since I choose not to work on it myself...

Indy shops are not set up to deal with specific vehicles. This filter is a singular exception to my desire to keep my vehicle oem. Also, mazda techs have correct torque specs and limiters and so forth and it's all they do. Further, it's cheaper, usually. Lastly, indy shops that cost less than a dealer typically do trash work in my experience.

In short, so many reasons not to use anyone but a dealer or yourself, and since I choose not to work on it myself...

Lol, ummkay, whatever.

(naughty)

Rofl! If it's like my Infiniti, it has a bunch of s*** I'd need to buy vehicle specific tools to work on, and given the fact I bought a specific tool for the spark plugs on my 2015. Honestly though, I got my fill of working on cars in college. It's just not a passion.

Lol, ummkay, whatever.

Yup. I've done it all. Indy shops, worked on it myself, whatever, back when I was in college. Screw an indy shop. If I wanted to have to fix it myself, I'd do it myself, not pay an indy and then have to fix their mess afterward, lol!

Take my 2015 cx5. Dealer did my brakes for $575 or something iirc. That's new rotors. New pads. Front and rear. Including labor. And it was done RIGHT, using Mazda parts. Try getting that level of work from an indy shop, lol!

That's funny right there! Mazda techs also have the correct parts at hand, right there in the shop, right? Oh wait...

That's funny right there! Mazda techs also have the correct parts at hand, right there in the shop, right? Oh wait...

You've never had to crawl under your vehicle and tighten suspension bolts with tiny hand tools in the middle of the night that were barely finger tight from an indy shop, after hearing things shift around when taking a corner, have you?

You've never had to crawl under your vehicle and tighten suspension bolts with tiny hand tools in the middle of the night that were barely finger tight from an indy shop, after hearing things shift around when taking a corner, have you?

Nope, you are 100% right sir! I've never had to correct someone else's work done to any of my vehicles. Why is that? Because I do it ALL myself and I've never screwed any of that work up. Never. I may take a undo amount of time to do the work but I don't screw it up.

And it was done RIGHT, using Mazda parts. Try getting that level of work from an indy shop, lol!
mazda techs have correct torque specs and limiters and so forth and it's all they do. Further, it's cheaper, usually.

Preferring to use the dealership for all of your service/maintenance is OK.
But burying your head in the sand about the realities of dealer work isn't.
The pro-dealership points you are making don't even apply to your experience!

You dealer did NOT do the job right using Mazda parts.
They had you wait around while they drove to Pep Boys for some crappy aftermarket filter.

Your claim that the average dealer mechanic has some specialized knowledge/skills is also ridiculous.
The people doing routine maintenance are unskilled, entry level grease monkeys. As you experienced, they don't even ensure they have the proper parts on hand before performing a basic service.

Nope, you are 100% right sir! I've never had to correct someone else's work done to any of my vehicles. Why is that? Because I do it ALL myself and I've never screwed any of that work up. Never. I may take a undo amount of time to do the work but I don't screw it up.

Lol, I wish I had that kind of track record. Accidentally snapped a brake caliper bolt when changing my brake pads. Dumb mistake, wasnt used to the new torque wrench I had just bought so I missed the click. Quick trip to Autozone fixed that for $10 thankfully.

No other major screwups to report. Well, filling ATF too quickly on my old van through the dipstick tube. Big air bubble glugged and blew fluid all over the front of the engine compartment. That was fun to clean up. Cost of doing it myself. Still save hundreds but times like that suck. Have to remind myself anybody could do that and Ill do a better job cleaning up the spill lmao.

Preferring to use the dealership for all of your service/maintenance is OK.
But burying your head in the sand about the realities of dealer work isn't.
The pro-dealership points you are making don't even apply to your experience!

You dealer did NOT do the job right using Mazda parts.
They had you wait around while they drove to Pep Boys for some crappy aftermarket filter.

Your claim that the average dealer mechanic has some specialized knowledge/skills is also ridiculous.
The people doing routine maintenance are unskilled, entry level grease monkeys. As you experienced, they don't even ensure they have the proper parts on hand before performing a basic service.

The fact that you think Wix makes a crappy filter tells me your experience wrenching on cars is...limited.

Likewise I've never had a mechanic screw up my car either.

Back