My CX-9 Could not handle snow

So last week we went to Lake Arrowhead. We had rented a cabin that had about half a block of very light snow and ice. My car was the only car that could not make it up the street to the cabins driveway. No matter what we tried- picking at the ice, salt, low gear, the car would only lock up and start sliding. We even went down to the towns auto store and bought chains (for half a block of street) and those also were no help. The car would lock up, lights would go off, and I'd start sliding sideways or back downhill. My tires are not new but they're okay. The other two cars in our family (2021 Volvo SUV and a 2008 Honda Civic) both made it up no problem. I ended up having to pay for overnight parking at a hotel 2 blocks away and walk to the cabin. Any ideas what the problem may be?

Is the vehicle AWD? If not, that's likely your issue (unless your tires are truly that useless). A lighter two wheel drive vehicle with similar tires will likely climb hills better than your heavier CX9 if it's also two wheel drive.

If it's FWD and you put the chains on the wrong tire, well they won't work.

Also, many people who don't often drive in challenging snowy conditions will have issues because they don't know how to control the vehicle in those situations. Many will think stepping on the pedal helps maintain momentum, but it's the opposite. If you're losing traction you don't want to spin wheels. You'll get nowhere with the drive wheels spinning. Also, hill assist or traction control will stop wheels entirely when spinning is detected.

When people suggest you turn off traction control (or hill assist), what they are suggesting is by turning off this system you now need to get a sense for if your tires are spinning. You need to feather the pedal by not over spinning the tires by applying gentle force to maintain as much grip as possible as you move forward. If your traction control is turned on, it will stop spinning wheels as soon as they slip which makes it difficult to make forward progress on a hill.

Upvote 0
:
North of Toronto
:
2019 CX-9 Sig
OP we all assume you have AWD because FWD would be a simple explanation, though still surprising.

The locations you mention are in California. Again, the obvious question is in 35 yrs have you seen a lot of snow driving? 35 yrs experience means nothing if the total times snow driving is 2. Not trying to doubt you, but I guess asking this means I doubt you...

But anyone know why the steering wheel would lock? To me that's go straight to dealer time, no?

Last edited:
Upvote 0