My CX-5 GT AWD was delivered today!

Just a quick update.. After 250kms, 90% of which was stop n' go city driving, my fuel consumption has gone down to 9.7l/100km or about 24mpg. I guess that ain't too bad.

Yea seems about right for mostly city driving with AWD.

Just curious. For the folks living in countries where kilometers are used. What term do you use for 'mileage'? And do you use KPL instead of MPG?

Just a quick update.. After 250kms, 90% of which was stop n' go city driving, my fuel consumption has gone down to 9.7l/100km or about 24mpg. I guess that ain't too bad.

Hmmm...im at 440 kms, stop and go city, about 250kms of that was highway, and my consumption is reading 10.7/100kms.
Haven't filled the tank yet, but gonna have too soon. At 35kms away to empty...See how the next fill up calculates.

Just curious. For the folks living in countries where kilometers are used. What term do you use for 'mileage'? And do you use KPL instead of MPG?

Depends on country - but it's only one of two typical measurements used.

1. km/L (kilometres per litre)
2. L/100km (litres per 100 kilometres)

Example: 30mpg (US)

Equals:
1. 7.84L/100km
2. 12.75L/km

or just for comparison sake
3. 36.03mpg (UK)

The imperial system is a curse. Only British colonies ever used it, which included countries such as Canada and Australia.
But most countries have abolished the system (with a references in rare circumstances).

Australia abolished imperial in 1966 for example. It also marked the move from Australian pound to Australian dollar.
We really stuck it to the British (albeit keeping Queen Elizabeth II as Queen of Australia).

The US is the only country to use the system in full. Even the British are converting some of their measurements to metric.

Getting back to who measures which way....
I can only comment on the two countries I am often in:

Japan - km/L
Australia - L/100km

Having only ever lived with a metric system, I find it very logical.
All based on water.

Water freezing point - 0C
Water boiling point - 100C
Room temp - 25C

At 1 atm and 25C.... weight and measurements are set.

1cm x 1cm (1 cubic centimetre) of water = 1 gram
1000cc = 1L = 1kg

Last edited:
could someone who has the CX-5 take a picture of the key fob? i want to see if it's the same as the CX-7 and order a similar key case for it.

Thanks inodes. You are a wealth of information. Regarding my 'mileage' question...for the metric measurement, is there a common term like mileage used? For instance, in the U.S. You normally ask what kind of mileage a car gets and the answer would be xx mpg. What would be the question for you?

is there a common term like mileage used?

We completely understand the term "mileage", and might use when speaking casually. But most of the time we would use "fuel consumption" or "fuel economy".
E.g.: "What's your fuel consumption like?", "What fuel economy does your car get?"
There is no mention of distance at all - so no "kilo-meterage".

Typical answer might be "I get 7 for country and 9 per 100 in city" ("country" obviously interchangeable with "highway", 7 meaning 7L/100km)
Some might just say their combined figure - which is the main figure put on the cars prior to sale:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/glennstewart/6961625569/in/photostream
6961625569_1fff448067.jpg

And of course - there is no need for dual km/miles on our speedo either
6961609011_9dafa896ab.jpg

Last edited:
Back