My 1991 Black on Black Cosmo Type-S (USA)

Cosmo is more of a luxury car...

8 handles the best out of the box. I say as good as my modified FD.

FD is still my favorite though.. everytime I get in it, it puts a smile on my face and the power it makes, you just can't beat it..

Words of wisdom mate. The RX-8 is easily the best handling "everyday RX" that l have ever owned. If an RX-8 attempts to test my Cosmo on the street you think to yourself, "Go away flea or get swamped". However if l try matching one through the corners, said RX-8 driver then screams "out of the way Barge-arse"......lol

owning an JC + FD + FE really gives the user an RX for all occasions.

REgards

Actually I have 2 more rotaries that's not pictured....

regarding the steering wheel.. I have one but most likely I'll be keeping that... and pretty much everything that came out of the car... I'm more about holding on to the parts then trying to part it out.. you should see my garage with all the FD parts... I could probably put 4-5 FDs together.. LOL!

uh dude... WTF do you do for a living lol. and are you hirring?

yeah iv heard rx8 has the most rigid chasis along with softest suspension.
I'm just assuming your cars get to the track. which is something i should do for better control. .

I highly recommend tracking your car. Its a good way to see the limit of your car at fairly safe environment.

Here are few pics from last year when I tracked the 8 with some new GTRs.. in the rain. It was my first time tracking in wet.

rx8gtr11.jpg

rx8gtr12.jpg

rx8gtr13.jpg

rx8gtr21.jpg

rx8gtr31.jpg

In couple of years, I'm hoping to get into an GTR.. They are amazing cars.

was those pictures taken at sloss furnace

Hobby, No.. Downtown Bham..

Here is another pics of my rotaries.. Some reason, I love this pic :)

DSC_1805.jpg

Words of wisdom mate. The RX-8 is easily the best handling "everyday RX" that l have ever owned. If an RX-8 attempts to test my Cosmo on the street you think to yourself, "Go away flea or get swamped". However if l try matching one through the corners, said RX-8 driver then screams "out of the way Barge-arse"......lol

owning an JC + FD + FE really gives the user an RX for all occasions.

REgards

LMAO! That's awesome Dave.

uh dude... WTF do you do for a living lol. and are you hirring?

Its not really about money.. Its about passion. I think if you really want something, you'll sacrifice other things to get it.. Like I gave up drinking over 10 years ago and stopped smoking about 6. If you put what you spend on those things and save, you'll be surprise what you save and what you could buy.

i have a tendency to go off topic and not sure if i should mention things.
about the gtr.
in your stable you have a gtr slayer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jomo14p0fd4
only mild tuned gtr. 600hp vs 470 vs fd 360hp 5 laps.
that has nothing to do with power. just mid mounted rear wheel drive.
also legislations were made to make the gtr hard to tune.
stock though almost nothing can touch it unless your talking big money.
it would be easy to drive fast.

i do like the car its probably the only 4wd id trust. audi's disgust me.
but its more about braking early than anything. you just get slingshotted to the corner before you know it.
also the first car i ever wanted was an r32 gtr.
ha, im dissing a supercar... nearly all cars i dont like for some reason.
in short id prefer your rx7 anyday.

full pace in the rain must have been so much fun.

13bcosmo,

Wow! That surprised me. Well, I know in the wet, GTR will spank mid 300HP RX7. I know this because at the track event I was at, R35s were making fastest time of the day over all 40+ cars there. They were just amazing!

I want one because I think it would be a great daily and a track car. But 70K USD for a used one right now is bit too much for me to pay.. When it goes down to mid 40s, I'll probably pick one up. I'm guess in another 2 years or so?

Back to the Cosmo:

I just installed new HID head lights and New Yellowtop Optima battery on my Cosmo..
I'll post some pics.. HIDs were 8000K and I like this color vs my 6000K on m FD and 4000K on the 8 (I think its 4000K on the 8?).

they must be intensely blue. I simply changed bulbs to 5000k which is the highest i could buy here. i saw there was a piaa booster of some kind.
makes regular cars look yellow in comparison.
I'm often amazed by rotaries performance in drag. circuit etc.

Very cool! Always wanted a Eunos Cosmo too...

Just wondering...how were you able to get it into the US and registered/street legal? What kind of costs were associated with it(guessing that importing just about any car would cost just as much)?

I look on import/export sites and these cars can be had for well under $10K(plus shipping and all that)...kind of strange since its selling price new was more than any Mazda prior or since... :)

13bcosmo,

Wow! That surprised me. Well, I know in the wet, GTR will spank mid 300HP RX7. I know this because at the track event I was at, R35s were making fastest time of the day over all 40+ cars there. They were just amazing!

I want one because I think it would be a great daily and a track car. But 70K USD for a used one right now is bit too much for me to pay.. When it goes down to mid 40s, I'll probably pick one up. I'm guess in another 2 years or so?

Back to the Cosmo:

I just installed new HID head lights and New Yellowtop Optima battery on my Cosmo..
I'll post some pics.. HIDs were 8000K and I like this color vs my 6000K on m FD and 4000K on the 8 (I think its 4000K on the 8?).

Hi Herblenny,, can I ask you what HID system did you buy for the Cosmo ? and is it a dual beam set up or a single unit for the dipped beam ?,, and was it a stright forward plug in system ?,, I am looking to get a set for mine and it's a minefield

Thanks
ps ,, you got my vote for mazda of the month :cool:

Last edited:
I'd like to see those photo's of the hid kit, particuarly the beam against a wall,
would it have self-levelling? I'v been looking into retrofit's on reflector optics. do you think your setup leaves people dazzled. theres also a scatter affect they produce.
lol and your headlights are set up to shine brighter are brighter on the passenger side so it's already shining onto oncoming traffic.
quiet curious about how bright they are and how wide the beam is. also the where cutoff point is etc. with the upgrade.

LOL! Well, next week, i'm going to go pick up the car and meet up with Dr. Iannetti for lunch or dinner :) After that, in June, I'm going to get it painted.

Update...

I haven't driven the Cosmo in awhile so I picked it up few days ago, detailed the car, swapped out the wheels, and drove around town and snapped some pics.

1.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg

9.jpg

NICE...Also nice to see you giving your Cosmo some much deserved TLC, Phil!

I've been cruising around in mind more often these days...Need to update my thread as well.

Any winter upgrade plans?

Works VS-XX, niiice... what are the wheel/tire specs?

Front 18x8.5 +32 w/KDW 235/35/18s
Rear 18x10 +38 w/Nitto drag radials 285/35/18s

I had these on my FD so I thought I try them out. Fits fine but rear fenders needs to be rolled. I have a Eastman fender roller but let one of my friend borrow it in ATL, GA.

Any winter upgrade plans?

Naw.. I don't think so. I been collecting some stereo stuff for the past few years and thought about putting in a nice system. I have 2 huge McIntosh amps, Mac headunit, Mac signal display, Boston Accustics speakers etc.. I used to be a huge audiophile back in the days and want to stick with the classics. I also have a new exhaust, newer Type S seats, and new front strut tower bar. I'm not going to put the exhaust but will put the seats in and get rid of the wood grain tower bar.

Antoine, I think he is too busy with the RX7 build to be doing anything to his Cosmo,, only so many hours in a day you know, oh and cash in pocket lol

Back