MSP Radiator replacement

NeilBey

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Are the stock 2.0l protg's and MSP radiators the same? I thought the MSP was shorter due to the SMIC. I couldn't find a definitive answer.

If they are in fact different, does anyone know of somewhere that will something that drops straight in, no modification needed?

Yes the MSP has a shorter radiator, only solution if you have a SMIC is another OEM radiator or custom mount a half size Honda aluminum radiator. With an FMIC setup you can run the full length (yet smaller) regular protege radiator or upgrade to a Mishimoto, Corksport, AWR etc. Some companies make a replacement aluminum short rad that fits with the SMIC, Ron Davis I believe and they run about $500. OEM short rad is about $300 and should last another 10 years like the stocker.

you get a full size you have to get different hold down brackets then throw it all in and roll

I had cooling problems at idle in the summer with the P5 radiator. And forget about AC.

Considering the Mishimoto is $250 it's the best deal, but I bet the OP has a SMIC still.

Added to this the mazdaspeed protege specific radiator is a dealer only item. Onlinemazdaparts.com or car-part.com depends on if you want new or used.

Im fairly certain Worldpac has them too. I remember looking but didnt want to pay like $330 for it if i remember correctly. I already had a front mount and got a super awesome deal on a Mishimoto.

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to pull it and take it to a radiator shop to have pressure tested and hopefully welded. It definitely looks like the steam is coming from the front of the radiator, around the middle somewhere, which leads me to believe that it is fixable. I'd love to do FMIC setup, but money is a factor. I've built FMIC's from scratch before (on my 85 300zx turbo), but it was a headache to do. I'd prefer to just stick with stock and run this car until it falls off of a cliff.

Does anyone have a part number for the STOCK MSP radiator? Mazda-parts seems to only list the non-turbo stuff

Does anyone have a part number for the STOCK MSP radiator? Mazda-parts seems to only list the non-turbo stuff

Any answer to this question? I hit some debris (someone lost their load - wood framing) on the freeway today and ended up with a hole in my radiator and the fan is also busted.

I've been searching for over an hour and the only thing I've come up with is that the MSP can't use the regular protege rad. I have a 100% stock car, and I need to get the OEM radiator ASAP. None of the parts stores list it and I can't find the part number anywhere.

Any answer to this question? I hit some debris (someone lost their load - wood framing) on the freeway today and ended up with a hole in my radiator and the fan is also busted.

I've been searching for over an hour and the only thing I've come up with is that the MSP can't use the regular protege rad. I have a 100% stock car, and I need to get the OEM radiator ASAP. None of the parts stores list it and I can't find the part number anywhere.

Did you ever find it, I am replacing mine with a mishimoto so I would have a working used one for you.

I could have sworn I posted this info a few years back, Partsgeek.com has these radiators in stock all of the time. I have purchased one about 3-4 years ago and can confirm it is an exact fit to the stock MSP Radiator. I'm also fairly certain that Nissens is the OEM manufacturer of the Radiator.
msp radiator.png

Reactions: 323
Back