MS3 Wheel Fitment Pics & Specs

:
2001 Mazda MP3
Rota's
1. 18x8 +35 225/40 18 http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4437903&postcount=5
2. 18x9 +30 245/35/18 http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4407585&postcount=2
3. 18x8.5 +44 235/40 18 http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4775404&postcount=24
4. 18x8.5 +48 225/45 18 http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4984431&postcount=59
Axis
1. 19x8.5 +35 225/35 19 http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5088405&postcount=97
I know we have a picture thread, but everyone is always asking questions and it gets cluttered up. This is a more formal/ informative thread. No need to post pictures of the same car with the same wheels just because you went out and washed your car. Post atleast one picture, no more than three.

Suggestions for angles...

- Down the car to see how flush it is.
- Normal side shot
- 45 degree angle shot

Mazdaspeed3 Hub: 67.1mm Typical Aftermarket Hub (Advan, Enkei or Rays): 73mm

Requirements:
1) A Picture or a link must be posted (Please include 1-3 pics not a million pics)
2) Name of the Rim, (Brand, type, color)
3) Rim Size (Height X Width + Offset)
4) Name of the tire (Brand, type)
5) Tire size (Width/Profile/Rim)
6) Spring/Coilover Set up (include height drop or stock, include any other specs)
7) Camber settings
8) Fenders (Rolled, trim, stock,ect) (include details, major rolling required?)
9) Comments before modifing the car to make the rims fit (Rubbing issues, clearance? Lock to lock?)
10) Comments after modifications done to the car (Does if fit now after rolling fenders, camber adujustments? Lock to lock?)
11) Additional comments (how does it look? aggressive? Flush? recommendation?)

Last edited:
EXAMPLE... its not me so i don't know the answer to the last couple questions
PICT4445.jpg

PICT4448.jpg

PICT446.jpg

2) Rota G-force
3) 18x9 +30
4) Toyo T1R's
5) 245/35/18
6) BC Coilovers
7) Camber: -3.5*
8) Rolled front, Rolled and pulled rear
9) Rubbed in the rear, badly.
10) Rolled and pulled until it no longer rubbed haha
11) Recommended for best performance, but requires a lot of work! Aggressive is probably the word for it..

162-1.jpg

160-1.jpg

158-1.jpg

1) Axis Hiros (refinished BBS gold)
2) 19 x 8.5 +35
3) falken FK452 - UHP summer tires
4) 225/35-19
5) BC coilovers - rears all the way down, fronts slightly raked
6) IDK my camber at the moment, but a few degrees negative camber is a must
7) Fenders have been rolled completely flat in the rears and pulled slightly
8) Car scraped over big bumps in the rear and needed modded badly
9) Car clears from lock to lock easily and only slightly rubs over big dips. No cutting of the tires though
10) It is an aggressivly flush setup with slightly stretched tires.. I love it!!

IMG_3272.jpg

IMG_3272.jpg

2. Wheels: Tenzo-R Type M
3. Wheel Size: 18 x 8" +45
4. Tires: Falken FK452
5. Tire Size: 225/40-18
6. Suspension: H&R Springs
7. Camber: Stock rear, unsure about front
8. Fenders: Stock
9-10. Mods: No work done, and no rubbing as of yet.
11. Comments: Love the stance, love the look. Haven't rubbed at all, but I also haven't had anyone in the back seat since the install. Have had about 50-100 lbs. of stuff in the trunk though. Recommend for anyone these springs, wheel size and tire size. Looks great without problems, so far.

100_2824.jpg

100_2810.jpg

100_3182.jpg

2) Rota, SVN, Hyperblack
3) 18x8.5 +48 67.1mm hub bore
4) Falken Azenis
5) 225/45R18
6) Stock Suspension
7) factory alignment specs
8) Fenders not rolled @ the time.
9) No modding needed. No rubbing lock to lock. Closest clearance was the inside of the fronts to the strut. Approx 1/4"
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...3/100_2800.jpg
10)
11) Additional comments: looks fat and flush. If ya want more, Run 235/40s and 5mm spacers. Then you will have to roll and pull your rear fenders some.

Last edited:
this is a good idea imo, to help clear up the details. I am already not following the instructions. ha!

newpic3.png

newpic5copy.png

newpic2copy.png

2.Wheels: Rota Torques(gold)
3.Wheel size:18 x 8" +35
4.Tires:Nitto INVO
5.Tire size:225/40-18
6.Suspension: BC coilovers
7.Im unsure at the moment...lol
8. Rear qtrs. hammered flat and pulled, then repainted
9.Rears rubbed when I went over big bumps and steep driveways
10.The wheels clear nicely now, i am going to lower it down some more
11.It sits nice and flush, the wheel edge is exactly in line with the fender

noob question: what's offset?

is that related to spacers?

edit: okay, i found the answer, but what's the benefit/negatives of increased/decreased offset? handling? appearance?

if i were to jump on some 18x8 rota's, do i need wheel spacers?

</noob>

Last edited:
no you will not, as long as theyre 18x8 with a +35 offset, like the guy above. you will need to roll your rear fenders though, but you will have enough strut clearance to avoid the need of spacers. the stock wheels are 18x7 +52 offset. use this, it helps me..

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

I am running 18x8 with 45 offset, 225/40 tires and no strut clearance problems or rubbing whatsoever, in case you are interested. I'm going to make a post later on today when I take pictures.

IMG_3272.jpg

speed3_april21.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

2. Wheels: Tenzo-R Type M
3. Wheel Size: 18 x 8" +45
4. Tires: Falken FK452
5. Tire Size: 225/40-18
6. Suspension: H&R Springs
7. Camber: Stock rear, unsure about front
8. Fenders: Stock
9-10. Mods: No work done, and no rubbing as of yet.
11. Comments: Love the stance, love the look. Haven't rubbed at all, but I also haven't had anyone in the back seat since the install. Have had about 50-100 lbs. of stuff in the trunk though. Recommend for anyone these springs, wheel size and tire size. Looks great without problems, so far.

Hey guys, got a question. I am completely naive when it comes to tires and wheels, but I know what I want, just hoping some of you can clarify what I'll need.

What is our stock wheel width? 7 or 7.5?
I plan on getting the ASA AR2's, on tire rack for our car they only list 18 x 7.5, but could I get 18 x 8? I figure that way I can get a wider tire, but I don't want any rubbing or fitment issues obviously.
If I were to get the ASA's at 18 x 7.5, what's the widest tire I could go with? I'm hoping like 235 or 245.
And lastly, what is offset? and do I have to worry about it?

Thanks

Tire Rack has excellent guides on everything you need to know about picking the right wheels and tires.

ture, but they dont' really show anything if you want to go with an aggressive or even semi agressive setup... they wouldn't consider selling me something in less than a 48 offset when i was looking for something

Sallypeed3,The stock wheel is seven wide, you can stuff a 235 on the 7.5 i believe. I went with 8 wide and 225/40 because i knew i was going to lower the car. Never rubbed in the rear yet ( where the issue seems to be). I have a 45 offset and yes it is important Sally! Call around to some other places such as discount tire or tire direct to see what they suggest and if you search the forum i think we had a good thread with some details once or twice before. Good luck though. What will you do for tires? You oftenget a good deal when you package. Some folks wiil negotiate price!

I think I'm going to go with 235/40's on 18 x 7.5. Probably get the Dunlop Direzzas or Kumho's. Still stock suspension, but will eventually drop with Cobb. Any offset advice? tried using an offset calculator, still makes no sense to me, lol. I guess what I don't understand is, how do you they "change" the offset when they send you the wheels?

I think I'm going to go with 235/40's on 18 x 7.5. Probably get the Dunlop Direzzas or Kumho's. Still stock suspension, but will eventually drop with Cobb. Any offset advice? tried using an offset calculator, still makes no sense to me, lol. I guess what I don't understand is, how do you they "change" the offset when they send you the wheels?

As an added question, would that require rolling the fenders?

hi guys - first post

i'll be getting into a '10 MS3 monday and already started thinking about suspension and rims. I'll probably go with coilovers with some wide rims with a low offset

What's a "safe" aggressive fitament? By safe meaning, I don't mind running some camber (not more than -3), cutting some fender liners, and some rolling.

I'm thinking of doing 9"-9.5" with a 30ish offset

Last edited:
You can't really change the offset of wheels. You can effectively lower the offset using wheel spacers. Don't run a spacer over 5mm without getting longer studs though. Losing a wheel while driving isn't a chance worth taking. Think of it this way. When you lower the offset, it pushes the outside edge of the wheel out. Increasing the offset pulls that edge in. Offset refers to the relation of the mounting pad (part that touches your rotor) to the centerline of the wheel.

As an added question, would that require rolling the fenders?
Would what require rolling the fenders? running 7.5 width? Not unless you get the wrong offset. People run 18x8's easily on 1st gen's without rolling. When you go beyond that, it can get tricky.

Last edited:
Back