MS3 snowtire ???

kingd0g

:
07 MS3 03 protege es 06 Honda 599
For the lucky ones who have there MS3
Have you guys looked into puting snows on yet and what size rim are we going to be able to use? Has anyone tried to put 16's on yet?
you up in canada should be all over this by now!

thanks
kingd0g

Here is another one! what do you think about 225/50 R17 snows? any clearence issues or do we have to go with 215/50R17?
thanks wongpres for reply.

I would just stick with 215/50/17, that's what I have on the MS6, and our tire sizes are identical. You don't want to be going wider for winter.

ottawaP5 said:
I would just stick with 215/50/17, that's what I have on the MS6, and our tire sizes are identical. You don't want to be going wider for winter.

Agreed. Generally for snow/slush/mud the taller and thinner, the better.

typically 215 is too wide, but you'll never get a thinner tire to fit that is close enough to the overall diameter that we need so 215 it is.

What tire did you buy? How wide are the wheels that you are using?
The cheapest tire in a 215/50r17 i can find is Michelin X-ice for $121each.
The cheapest tire in a 225/50r17 is Dunlop Graspic DS-2 for $109each.
I would prefer Blizzaks but can't afford $750 winter tires!!!
thanks for everyones input
kingd0g

ottawaP5 said:

wongpres said:
Mazdaspeed3 will need 17-inch minimum. 16-inch will clear the rear but not the front.

Man this sucks, this is the ONLY reason I am not trading in my 05 3 for a MS3. I have a chalet up at a local ski hill, and I would never make it up there with 17" snows, 16's are bad enough. What is up with Mazda and installing ungodly oversized brakes that are really not needed? I guess I could always install the smaller brakes from a normal 3??!?!?!??!?!

In regards to larger front brakes, it's not 'marketing', Mazda's just being responsible. This is a greatly simplified description, but there's a horsepower to braking power ratio that Mazda sets for itself to adhere to.

The brakes certainly work. I was fiddling with my stereo for a moment when I looked up to see angry red brake lights in front of me approaching quickly. I stomped the brake and stopped an embarrassingly LONG way away from said brake lights. My old car would have barely made it.

I am using the 225/45/18 dunlops that are on my stock RX-8 rims for winter on my MS3. I know they are wider but I didn't want to get another set of snows when i already have one. I'll be putting them on the MS3 thanksgiving weekend. I will let peps know how they work if you are interested.

wongpres said:
Mazdaspeed3 will need 17-inch minimum. 16-inch will clear the rear but not the front.

No my friend!! the 16" fit!! (no big clearance at the front but it fit well!)
They are already installed on my MS3.
Size you need is: 205/60/16

I purchased a set of TOYO observe GO2
I live in quebec, Canada and we have a lot of snow during winter ;)

Last edited:
MightyMouse said:
Man this sucks, this is the ONLY reason I am not trading in my 05 3 for a MS3. I have a chalet up at a local ski hill, and I would never make it up there with 17" snows, 16's are bad enough. What is up with Mazda and installing ungodly oversized brakes that are really not needed? I guess I could always install the smaller brakes from a normal 3??!?!?!??!?!

16" fit pretty well ;)

nondual said:
The brakes certainly work. I was fiddling with my stereo for a moment when I looked up to see angry red brake lights in front of me approaching quickly. I stomped the brake and stopped an embarrassingly LONG way away from said brake lights. My old car would have barely made it.

lol~ that's funny.
But then your old car was worth $100, right? (trade-in)
I would hope the MS3 will have better brakes than that. keke =p

Just two more months~~ >_<

Hey borderline, can you take some pics of the front wheels with 16-inch steelies?

Not that I don't believe you, but all the info I have says it shouldn't fit.

Back