Mpg display issues

Kunal

:
2014 mazda cx5 grand touring
Hi Guys,

It's been two weeks since I have had 2014 cx5 grand touring(tech package)..I hate to type a question regarding a issue I am already facing within 2weeks of owning a new car:( today all of a sudden my mpg display started behaving weird....my average mpg for the first two weeks has been around 25-26 and all of a sudden today mpg started displaying numbers like 11,14,16..and the weird think these numbers change in like 1min...also my current mpg is showing weird numbers like 100 mpg and all of a sudden the number goes to 5 mpg even though I am at the same speed...will be taking the car to dealership on Monday..but just curious to see if anyone has had a similar problem..if yes, what was wrong? My gut feeling is there might be a loose connection or something..but i am just disappointed that within just 2 weeks of owning a new car I have to face a problem...

Thanks in advance for your replies..

Last edited:
What you're seeing is normal.

When the display shows the current mpg, that number will be all over the place depending on driving conditions. For instance, if you are coasting down a hill at 70 mph and have your foot relaxed from the accelerator, the display should read upwards of 99.9 mpg. Conversely if you are trudging up a 6-8 % grade at full throttle and a cabin full of adults, it'll read around 12-18 mpg. By hitting the Info button on the steering wheel to the "Average" from the "Current" readout you'll see your mileage ratings in real time 'averaged' out over time, weighted if you would so the brief and wild swings in gas usage are evened out to a realistic number.

Hi Popeyecahn,

Thanks for the reply. See I understand for the current mpg that numbers will be all over and I agree with you ..but for average mpg why such a drastic change from 26 to 16? Ok I filled the gas on Tuesday and set a new trip and the average mpg number that was displayed from tue-till today was 25-26..you think because I filled the gas again and have the same trip the number went lower but that didn't happen to me before??...

Ahhh I thought you were only watching the current status. I did have the average meter act funny after gassing up in Needles and when driving up in elevation, my avg mpg had been in the thirties, but now dropped to the low twenties. It bothered me but it evened out after I reached my destination elevation (7000') and afterwards gassing up it looked more typical.

Heck if you've book a service date, take advantage of it and have them suss it out to be absolutely sure. BTW I zero out all the read outs, avg mpg, avg mph and the trip meter every time I gas up.

Ok guys thanks for the replies..here is the thing I did a reset for average mpg and now it's showing numbers between 24-25 which seems alright because that is what I was getting for the first two weeks..but the interesting thing is that today I went to the dealer and the service guy over there told me that I have to reset the average mpg every time I fill gas otherwise he said your average mpg will be all over the place again..I am not quiet sure about it to be honest..I mean I must have filled the gas 4 times before Saturday and I didn't reset the avg mpg at that time but it was pretty consistent between 24-25 and neither did it go haywire..am I missing here something???..or I m just being little dumb

Latest posts

Back