Moving up from CX5?

:
19 CX-5 Signature
Random thoughts and experience, no real questions.

Bought a 19 CX5 Signature Jan 2019 and absolutely love the car but I knew it was smaller than I wanted and we would ultimately need. At the time wifey insisted she didn't want a "massive" car so ok, it's her car so...

Fast forward a year and it's becoming more obvious we need more room (not for kids, but for dogs). Looking at all the offerings nothing will be as nice, fun to drive, have the features as the 9 so I'm shopping hard to find a deal on trading my 5 on a '19 9 GT plus as little time cash out as possible - hoping for $5k. Wife just loves her 5 and the 9 is pretty much it's bigger twin brother. Would like the extra torque and getting colors I want in a '20 but not worth ~$4k more.

Still shocked that a true oem remote start isn't standard on a +$40k car (or offered at all). C'mon Mazda get with it!!! And just read another thread that the rear view camera gets mucked-up when it rains. Both issues are annoying but hardly show-stoppers for us.

Last edited:
Considering taking such a financial hit because you think your dogs need more room is a real head scratcher for me. I'm jealous of your financial situation, I guess.

Random thoughts and experience, no real questions.

Bought a 19 CX5 Signature Jan 2019 and absolutely love the car but I knew it was smaller than I wanted and we would ultimately need. At the time wifey insisted she didn't want a "massive" car so ok, it's her car so...

Fast forward a year and it's becoming more obvious we need more room (not for kids, but for dogs). Looking at all the offerings nothing will be as nice, fun to drive, have the features as the 9 so I'm shopping hard to find a deal on trading my 5 on a '19 9 GT plus as little time cash out as possible - hoping for $5k. Wife just loves her 5 and the 9 is pretty much it's bigger twin brother. Would like the extra torque and getting colors I want in a '20 but not worth ~$4k more.

Still shocked that a true oem remote start isn't standard on a +$40k car (or offered at all). C'mon Mazda get with it!!! And just read another thread that the rear view camera gets mucked-up when it rains. Both issues are annoying but hardly show-stoppers for us.
I get it. We had a 2015 CX-5, had it one year and then it was totaled. We looked at the CX-9, but Mazda does need to get inline with other basic stuff, even tire pressure monitoring, per tire, that's a pretty standard thing now. We were looking at a 9, then decided on a 2016 CX-5 GT, which has proved to be a nightmare, I have had more issues with this vehicle then I have with any other vehicle I have owned. I have owned six different Mazda vehicles too.

Good luck on your search, sometimes the financial hit is worth it to have something you will enjoy and something that will fit into your lifestyle better.

Read the thread on gripes with the cx9. Not to convince you to go elsewhere, but just so you're aware. I agree with many of the complaints but I'm still extremely pleased and would not switch to competition.

No sure your location but Canada does have dealer installed remote starter. Not greatest but workable.

Depending on lifestyle...the size difference is considerable. CX5 too small but maybe overshooting size this time? We went into city last couple weeks. Finding spot, and making turns in tight parking garages isn't fun. Our other vehicle is a CRV and is the usual choice for into city, but don't think the CX9 is just a bit bigger than 5. It's a long vehicle. Longer than a Pilot and Lexus rx 7 seater for ex.

Read the thread on gripes with the cx9. Not to convince you to go elsewhere, but just so you're aware. I agree with many of the complaints but I'm still extremely pleased and would not switch to competition.

No sure your location but Canada does have dealer installed remote starter. Not greatest but workable.

Depending on lifestyle...the size difference is considerable. CX5 too small but maybe overshooting size this time? We went into city last couple weeks. Finding spot, and making turns in tight parking garages isn't fun. Our other vehicle is a CRV and is the usual choice for into city, but don't think the CX9 is just a bit bigger than 5. It's a long vehicle. Longer than a Pilot and Lexus rx 7 seater for ex.

Interesting thoughts on size...thanks for pointing it out.

I went from a cx5 to a cx9. Only because I needed the third row. I loved my cx5 but we have 3 kids and a 3rd row is basically required. The cx9 is an amazing suv. I went from a 2017 cx5 GT to a 2017 cx9 GT and the cx9 is nicer in some ways but worse in others. Overall I plan on driving the cx9 into the ground and hopefully by then there will be 3rd row EVs.

Back