Motor Mounts and Shocks?

Okay my P5eeps!
Needing Motor mounts and shocks very soon. Thinking of using MS3 set-ups... Will they fit and work?
As a newbie, I feel the P5 community is the best place to ask... and the Marketplace should have some... somewhere
Peace out!

What is your overall purpose for it? DD? Autocross?
DEA or Anchor mounts from auto parts stores or even ebay or amazon will work for a daily. For added support you can do AWR inserts or fill them yourself with liquid urethane. The 60A is good for a daily as its not too stiff. If you want a racecar you can get solid from CR3 or AWR but you will feel it everywhere.
KYB are good struts for daily not too soft or too stiff. The Tokicos both blue and white are pretty much gone. But were a good street upgrade. If you want something with options look into Yellowspeed coilovers. They seem to have good reviews here.
It comes down to what you want in the car or out of it. But AWR and CR3 still support the protege platform.
Hope this helps

Wow! Yes it does! Thank you! I’m looking for a “beater that will blow the doors off...” Daily driver. Sadly I saw that Tokiko no longer has ones that fit. Will probably go with KYB. Any idea what a Protege Speed uses? Cheers!
Love this forum! Just as helpful as the Miata forum MIATA.net

The mazdaspeed proteges used racing beat springs that lowered it about .75 inches and tokico blues. That setup fits the p5 but I remember reading something about rear end sag because of the spring perch or something like that. Youll probably have to look into that more as my memory is a bit fuzzy. Good daily setups are eibach or tein springs and kybs. Tokicos are better but hard to find. Those will give you a decent ride and some added suspension performance along with a good look.

The mazdaspeed proteges used racing beat springs that lowered it about .75 inches and tokico blues. That setup fits the p5 but I remember reading something about rear end sag because of the spring perch or something like that. Youll probably have to look into that more as my memory is a bit fuzzy. Good daily setups are eibach or tein springs and kybs. Tokicos are better but hard to find. Those will give you a decent ride and some added suspension performance along with a good look.

This is good to know, as my P5 is also a daily and I want to lower it at some point but can't justify coilovers and don't want to cheap out with eBay springs. I found this thread which, if I recall correctly, has a lot of good info on P5 suspension setups, and especially a very nice chart showing a list of options.

ea328281e897a3e33ac2a821b1ece894.jpg

If anyone wanted to know more about the options that are/were out there.

EDIT: I'm no expert on motor mounts but I'll throw in my two cents for what it's worth.
I bought my car with the rear motor mount being SHOT. It's a jerky missery to drive, but an order of magnitude worse to replace the mount, from what I hear. I have a new stock mount on hand that I want to install when I eventually get the courage up. Having little experience with the mounts on these vehicles, my advice and what I've heard from others is that for a daily, it's a good idea to keep the rear mount stock because it's very challenging to replace if you put something aftermarket in there and end up hating it.
I would agree with the statement that the stock mounts are too soft though, so I'll likely look into AWR inserts for the other three mounts once I finish my rear mount.

Last edited:
I purchased the Rock Auto ones as a kit (#MK5300). My temporarily unemployed roommate will install them in exchange of rent. He has rebuilt several engines from the ground up, so I trust him....sort of! Lol...:cautious:

DEA/MARMON RIDE CONTROL MK5300 Click Info for full list of components.
Manual trans.; (1 X A6465-Trans )(1 X A6485-Rear)(1 X A6486-Front Lower)

I purchased the Rock Auto ones as a kit (#MK5300). My temporarily unemployed roommate will install them in exchange of rent. He has rebuilt several engines from the ground up, so I trust him....sort of! Lol...:cautious:

DEA/MARMON RIDE CONTROL MK5300 Click Info for full list of components.
Manual trans.; (1 X A6465-Trans )(1 X A6485-Rear)(1 X A6486-Front Lower)

I'll be very interested to know what the new mounts are like compared to your current mounts (which I assume are stock and need replacement.)
I've heard a lot of varying testimonies from people about aftermarket mounts, especially as the OEM mounts can be much more expensive than aftermarket without necessarily obvious benefits.

Benji

I'll be very interested to know what the new mounts are like compared to your current mounts (which I assume are stock and need replacement.)
I've heard a lot of varying testimonies from people about aftermarket mounts, especially as the OEM mounts can be much more expensive than aftermarket without necessarily obvious benefits.

Benji
I will update when it's finished. These claim to be OEM compatible... We will see....

I replaced my mounts in a kit off Amazon and they seemed comparible to stock feeling. However, the rear swap was a PITA. So I decided to use inserts in the front and rear mounts to prevent those from tearing again. I got like 95 duro inserts from RR. Bad idea going with such a hard urethane. The rear one made the car vibrate and shake ALOT at idle. Way too much for me to deal with daily. So I removed it leaving only the front. After reading up on inserts I decided to go with AWR side inserts. Those are pretty soft and to be honest, with the 3 inserts I almost didnt notice anything different from stock comfort wise. Fast forward like 6 months and I start feeling vibes. Turns out not having an insert in the rear mount put stress on it and it started to sag. That led to the vibes because it was resting on the bottom half of the metal circle. My fix was to buy another rear mount and fill it with liquid urethane. I went with a 60A hardness for comfort. Now, if youre keeping count this is the 4th time removing that rear mount. This time for good. In my sport auto, front insert is like 95 sides are like 60 and the rear filled with liquid 60 urethane, it vibrates where you feel it in the seat a little and an empty can or bottle in the cup holder will vibrate but that is all I notice. Keys dont rattle in my door pocket, I can see out of all my mirrors clearly, and the interior plastics dont rattle. A manual car should be even less vibes.
I told that story so you dont make the same mistake. If you use inserts in all but 1 of the mounts, that 1 you left empty will stress and sag and possibly/eventually tear.

Back