Moonroof shattered

dabombcra

:
Mazda CX 5 Touring
I have a 2014 CX-5 Touring. I was driving when all of a sudden I hear a loud pop. I realized it was my moon roof. It was windy and I had the window all the way one. I have it fixed now, but I have a few questions.
1. Has this happened to anyone here?
If so, what caused it?
2. I'm considering on getting a moonroof wind deflector. Has anyone put one of these on? If so, what are your thoughts about the deflector?

The deflector at the dealership is quite wide. When I set it in to see how it looks, the deflector looks like it will take up a 1/3 of the opening. Plus, I don't care for the look, however I don't want to buy another moonroof. I haven't purchased one, just wanted to get your opinions on the deflector.

Verizon Note 4 using Taptalk

I had the deflector installed shortly after delivery. Con is that it eats into the visual size of the opening - especially as it is dark tinted. Pro is that it reduced the noise generated at highway speed. I have it open whenever I'm alone and weather allows. It works for me and I have no regret.

Brian

1. Has this happened to anyone here?
If so, what caused it?
2. I'm considering on getting a moonroof wind deflector. Has anyone put one of these on? If so, what are your thoughts about the deflector?
  1. I've seen someone had similar experience on a VW Passat board. The guy was driving his Passat on the highway with all windows closed and suddenly his moonroof shattered! I believe it's a very rare incident and caused by cabin air pressure somehow reached to a critical point to make moonroof glass shattered. Was your HVAC system in recirculating mode? And did your fix cover by new car warranty or by insurance?
  2. I thought wind deflector for moonroof is a thing of past. Not many cars have it as most people close the moonroof while driving on the highway for quieter environment. Besides I always think, IMHO, the moonroof wind deflector doesn't look good. It won't help you preventing your moonroof glass gets shattered again anyway. This is once in the lifetime experience and it won't happen to you again. :)

1. I've seen someone had similar experience on a VW Passat board. The guy was driving his Passat on the highway with all windows closed and suddenly his moonroof shattered! I believe it's a very rare incident and caused by cabin air pressure somehow reached to a critical point to make moonroof glass shattered. Was your HVAC system in recirculating mode? And did your fix cover by new car warranty or by insurance?
  2. I thought wind deflector for moonroof is a thing of past. Not many cars have it as most people close the moonroof while driving on the highway for quieter environment. Besides I always think, IMHO, the moonroof wind deflector doesn't look good. It won't help you preventing your moonroof glass gets shattered again anyway. This is once in the lifetime experience and it won't happen to you again. :)
Thanks for the reply.
1. I don't mind the noise and I like the wind blowing on me. Saves me from rolling down a window and getting the thumping nois. I not sure if the circulating mode was on. Most the time it is on when I'm not using the AC.

2. The dealer wanted $600 to fix it so I went through my insurance.

I don't think they look good either, however if the deflector will stop this from happening again, I would put on on.

Verizon Note 4 using Taptalk

A deflector will also impact your fuel economy, not sure by how much though.
I too don't think you need to worry about this happening again. Do you think it was hit by a rock? Perhaps the glass was defective?

Same thing happened to mine!! Dealer claimed a rock hit it & wouldn't replace it! There was no one around me at the time! Cost me $700

Same thing happened to mine!! Dealer claimed a rock hit it & wouldn't replace it! There was no one around me at the time! Cost me $700

That looks like mine. There was a truck 1/2 aile a head of me when mine just pop. I went through my insurance. Weird that this happened. Hope it doesn't happen again

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

First windshield then now sun roof. I am not a fan of Mazda's window, and I think they are kind thin.

For our sake, I'm hoping that this is a fluke situation

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Well, I've been through 2 windshields in 1 year already, and would have been through 3, had I replaced this one a week ago, as another rock hit it and instantly destroyed any chance of fixing THAT impact, as well. So, a total of 3 "one and done" rock hits in about a year's time. I have only had the car for 20K miles. I have NEVER had to replace a windshield more than once, and then, never one an American vehicle. Always Japanese. I think Mazda probably uses thinner glass...you know...for fuel economy.

Those sun-roofs or whatever are in a very compromised location/profile. Very prone to a rock hit, from what I am seeing from pictures posted. You need to have the moon roof BEHIND the event horizon of the roof. Mazda did not do this. The result is obvious. The closer to/further behind said event horizon is, the less chance of breakage.

Last edited:
I had the moonroof wind deflector installed as an option when I bought my CX5 2 years ago (it on a list of options that I definitely wanted with the new vehicle purchase). Cuts down on the wind noise bigtime on the highway (virtually no noise whatsoever). I imagine it would deflect rocks as well, though never really thought of it. No issues thus far.

Bon Scott

My last 3 cars had moon roofs and I always put on a wind deflector. I think it looks good but more importantly, it keeps the wind out of my face and stuff remaining in the car when the moon roof is open.

Well, the pictures above show what my moonroof looked like on my old 2014.............. after a Texas hail storm. Windshield and all other glass were OK, just the moonroof. Car was 3 years old and never had a windshield problem.

I had the moonroof wind deflector installed as an option when I bought my CX5 2 years ago (it on a list of options that I definitely wanted with the new vehicle purchase). Cuts down on the wind noise bigtime on the highway (virtually no noise whatsoever). I imagine it would deflect rocks as well, though never really thought of it. No issues thus far.

Bon Scott
My moon rood was fully open when it shattered. I set the wind deflector on the CX-5 and it took up a 1/3 of the opening. I don't mind the wind, I just want to prevent this from happening again.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If you can't come to agreement w/dealer call the 800 #... don't just take no for an answer. There is a chain of command in the warranty booklet.

I dont think a deflector would do much. It's either a flaw in the glass, or a rock was kicked up by traffic and careened into it parabolically... a deflector isn't a full shield

My moon rood was fully open when it shattered. I set the wind deflector on the CX-5 and it took up a 1/3 of the opening. I don't mind the wind, I just want to prevent this from happening again.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hmm I wonder if paint protection film would work. It would take the brunt of impacts. Unless a meteor hit you of course.

So far (from early 2013 through today) I heard of exactly 1 instance of the problem, with the OP reporting this happened to his moonroof. Therefore I suggest doing exactly nothing to prevent this from happening again.

Back