Mirrors not folding completely

Status
Not open for further replies.
:
2019 CX-5 Signature
Before I call my dealer, I wondered if anyone else had this problem. I have a 2019 signature and just noticed the folding mirrors are only partially closing. Any easy fix?

did you search?

these threads talk about turning them off:

I don't want to ruin the surprise.. but let's just say you are heading to the dealer.

Thanks and yes, I should have searched. Time to call the dealer.
Based on the experience from Unobtanium and TSBs issued, not only you want to fix them as soon as possible, but also turn the auto folding function off with the manual mode only as soon as the new car warranty expired.

My folding mirrors died at 17, and 21k miles. Brake rotors are lightly warped at 30k, now
I'm having issues now with the passenger folding mirror. The motor seems like it's worn out. Loud, weak sounding. Doesn't fold out all the way sometimes. The driver's side did this a couple thousand miles ago. Looks like I will be $1500 into warranty work on this vehicle next oil change...

...that $2400 bumper-to-bumper 150K mile warranty isn't sounding too stupid right now, and I'm glad I got it. In a few more months, my bumper to bumper will be gone, and this would have to come out of pocket, and my crystal ball says it will fail again...
Both of my folding mirrors have now failed (again). My extended warranty is paying 100% for replacement and for a loaner for 5 days (while parts are ordered, since mirrors are a safety issue, I did opt to just force them by hand until, vs taking the loaner though). Total cost out of pocket would have been $1500.

Only 900 bucks more to go to break even. Got 98k miles left to do it in.

If you get a top trim level like my GTR...you best bet you need it.

Appointment made!!
I face a tough decision in the longer term though. I really like my CX-5 Signature AND I really LIKE warranties and wish the CX-5 had the 4-year warranty of my ex-RDX. My lease (and warranty) will come up in early 2022, likely a few months or a year before the "all-new CX-5" appears on the scene. Based on rumours of course...Mazda might surprise us in either direction.
Wondering about buying out the lease and holding on for a couple of years, likely replacing tires/brakes and paying for expensive "bells and whistles" repairs like this. Or: Leasing essentially the same car for three years which would allow the new model to work out any growing pains it might have.
I'd even consider leasing or buying the CX-30 turbo but have a feeling it would feel like a comedown.
Anyone been in a similar situation?

Yes. My lease is ending next year too and I am still waiting to fully decide whether to buy it or not.
So far 4 separate warranty visits, all stupid and all realted to engine one way or another. Not major but still...
Will see how it holds till next year.
One can always get the extended mazda warranty and not worry about most of the expensive bells and whistles, say for 4 more years after the lease :)

And yes I was looking at the cx30 but it is a downgrade in a way and to me not worth it (especially if I had a signature).
Even the cx5 is sometimes smaller to me but I got used to that. Previous cars were bigger - i.e. RDX, Edge, Explorer.

Also reality is for that price range (mid 30k) and the features and interior quality of the Cx5 there isnt a lot of choice from other brands in the CUV segment (excl. rav4 and crv which I dont like).

Appointment made!!
I face a tough decision in the longer term though. I really like my CX-5 Signature AND I really LIKE warranties and wish the CX-5 had the 4-year warranty of my ex-RDX. My lease (and warranty) will come up in early 2022, likely a few months or a year before the "all-new CX-5" appears on the scene. Based on rumours of course...Mazda might surprise us in either direction.
Wondering about buying out the lease and holding on for a couple of years, likely replacing tires/brakes and paying for expensive "bells and whistles" repairs like this. Or: Leasing essentially the same car for three years which would allow the new model to work out any growing pains it might have.
I'd even consider leasing or buying the CX-30 turbo but have a feeling it would feel like a comedown.
Anyone been in a similar situation?

IMO, if you really like the car and the only sore spot is the folding mirrors, I would lease for three years to avoid buying a first MY model (assuming Mazda releases a new model). Or, if you buy it, simply turn the auto-fold function off once the warranty is up. Then you won't have to worry about wearing them out and replacing them when you sell/trade up.

It might also be a good idea to lease for three years to see what other manufacturers bring to the table. Like the Genesis GV70, which is slated for release sometime in 2021.

IMO, if you really like the car and the only sore spot is the folding mirrors, I would lease for three years to avoid buying a first MY model (assuming Mazda releases a new model). Or, if you buy it, simply turn the auto-fold function off once the warranty is up. Then you won't have to worry about wearing them out and replacing them when you sell/trade up.

It might also be a good idea to lease for three years to see what other manufacturers bring to the table. Like the Genesis GV70, which is slated for release sometime in 2021.

Thanks...that's my overnight thinking too. I might lease or buy the new, final-year CX-5 for the reason you quoted. Also, I'm nervous about the possibility of the next gen CX-5 (or CX-50 TBD) growing significantly. I don't need extra storage capacity but I am "garage challenged". eg My first gen RDX fit comfortably but the new models would not. Hard to believe the first X-3 was 179", same as the current CX-5.

If you don't mind working on things those folding mirror motors are pretty cheap. I have power folding mirrors on my '12 GX 460 that still work perfectly but know someday they will fail. I picked up a couple replacements from Aliexpress for only $34/each. No idea the work involved to swap these on a CX-5 but pretty easy on the GX. Even cheaper for the CX-5 - these are for older models but look around on there...I can't imagine newer versions aren't available as well or Mazda didn't just use the same motor.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001255402636.html

If you don't mind working on things those folding mirror motors are pretty cheap. I have power folding mirrors on my '12 GX 460 that still work perfectly but know someday they will fail. I picked up a couple replacements from Aliexpress for only $34/each. No idea the work involved to swap these on a CX-5 but pretty easy on the GX. Even cheaper for the CX-5 - these are for older models but look around on there...I can't imagine newer versions aren't available as well or Mazda didn't just use the same motor.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001255402636.html

Thanks for the tip. Happily the warranty will cover the work this time. Thanks to the TSB referenced in an earlier post, my dealer has ordered the parts. Expect a 3 hour job.

Stupid question, but can the automatic mirrors be folded manually by pushing them inward?

Stupid question, but can the automatic mirrors be folded manually by pushing them inward?
Yes. At least they all can on other brands of cars. You don’t want these mirrors get knocked off so easily if they can’t get folded by outside force.

They can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Refer to this link in the owner's manual - under "Power folding outside mirror", they state:

Use the switch to set the mirror to the on-road position:
Setting the power folding outside mirror to the on-road position by hand is dangerous. The mirror will not lock in position and will prevent effective rearview visibility.

Additionally, I don't think it's a good idea as there is a plastic gear that could be damaged by manual operation.

They can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Refer to this link in the owner's manual - under "Power folding outside mirror", they state:

Additionally, I don't think it's a good idea as there is a plastic gear that could be damaged by manual operation.

WELLLLLL guess what? Neither of mine are working now. As of this morning.

The passenger one has been acting up for weeks, and yesterday I noticed the drivers side one didn't fold in all the way, and now its not working at all.

All I hear is 1 big loud CLICK.

Hopefully this is covered under warranty - its a 2019.

Yes, it is under the 3/36 new warranty.
Run to the dealer. Most likely the motor gear is already busted.
Disable the auto folding as well as soon as possible.

Yes, it is under the 3/36 new warranty.
Run to the dealer. Most likely the motor gear is already busted.
Disable the auto folding as well as soon as possible.

Thanks - that's been done. I disabled it today. Thanks!

Have had the same mirror issues off and on. My dealer says they can't reproduce it so now I am waiting for it to happen again so I can video record the whole issue. Seems like Mazda side mirrors are crap construction since my driver side mirror has a shaky image at highway speeds.

Last edited:
yeah initially the work ..and stop then self heal and kind of work again :) then stop and eventually stop totally. First one then the other follows.

yeah initially the work ..and stop then self heal and kind of work again :) then stop and eventually stop totally. First one then the other follows.

Initially both mine failed at the same time last week and I booked the service appointment for next Monday and they ordered the parts. But the driver side has started working again. I suppose I’ll get a “cannot replicate“ unless it dies again this week. Passenger side still not working though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back