Mirror folding failure

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
It*s a known fault. There is a kit to fix water ingress but time wise they usually end up fitting a new mirror.

0-DF4539-C-F922-42-A6-9-C49-1056-C5272803.png

"Worldwide except North America"

:
Occupied Calif.
:
2019 CX 5 GT-R
I'm with wlong01. I have an inherent mistrust of such gadgetry. I can just see the mirror motors failing not long after the warranty expires.
"Well Mr. Frye, the motor has to be ordered from Japan, we have to tear the entire door apart to fix it and it's going to cost $800."

I went into the settings and disabled the auto-fold function. If I am parking it a situation like a crowded mall parking lot at Christmas where people may be walking in between cars and smacking into mirrors or other situations where the threat of damage is likely I can manually fold them in with the switch on the door.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
I'm just gonna turn mine off and only manually operate it if I need to.
Ill do that too if I had a CX-5 Signature.

BTW, is your outside mirror auto-folding switch like the one I posted earlier or the square rocker switch like the TSB Anchorman posted?

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
I*ll do that too if I had a CX-5 Signature.

BTW, is your outside mirror auto-folding switch like the one I posted earlier or the square rocker switch like the TSB Anchorman posted?

It's on the Reserve too. Yes, you were correct, just turn the round adjustment dial 180 deg and it folds both mirrors in. Thanks for the info the other day.

:
2016 CX-5 w/ Tech/Activsense
You have 17k miles. Why are you bringing up your extended warranty? When things like that fail, it's usually early.

Like all the DRLs on the *16 model that are failing right after the 3 year bumper to bumper expires? :)

Last edited:

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
It's on the Reserve too. Yes, you were correct, just turn the round adjustment dial 180 deg and it folds both mirrors in. Thanks for the info the other day.
Forgot GT Reserve has this feature too and OP Unobtanium has the GT Reserve. I was wondering why the diagram on Anchorman posted TSB showing a totally different power folding mirror switch on CX-5?

:
CX5 GT-R
Repair will be $730. In another 10 months, this would be out of pocket, had I not bought a big whackin warranty.
Worth.
It.

And thus is only 8 months in....

madar

Contributor
:
2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB
You have 17k miles. Why are you bringing up your extended warranty? When things like that fail, it's usually early.

These statements crack me up. How do you know this? Motorized stuff tends to fail later on. Power windows, power door locks, rotating headlights, power seats, etc....

Last edited:

madar

Contributor
:
I'm glad I could humor you.

I take it that you are also one of the clever ones that is taking the warranty company to the cleaners? (dance)

That remains to be seen. I don't usually buy one, but seeing how my last CX5 had a transmission glitch at 72k miles I took one out this time, second transmission in that vehicle...I don't consider any car manufacturer deserving of total trust and loyalty like 20 years ago.

Last edited:
:
2019 CX-5 Signature
That remains to be seen. I don't usually buy one, but seeing how my last CX5 had a transmission glitch at 72k miles I took one out this time...I don't consider any car manufacturer deserving of total trust and loyalty like 20 years ago.

Things happen and you do what you think is right for you. This is the first vehicle I've purchased without an extended warranty. I finally realized that it's like gambling, where the house has the upper hand. But, sometimes you win! :)

shadonoz

SkyActiv Member
Contributor
:
State of Jefferson
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD+

These statements crack me up. How do you know this? Motorized stuff tends to fail later on. Power windows, power door locks, rotating headlights, power seats, etc....

Conventional wisdom is that electronics fail early, mechanical stuff fails later.

But anything can fail at any time of course. ;)

madar

Contributor
:
Which company did you feel that way about?

I look at Honda with the engine problems they're having, it's ridiculous telling people they have to change their oil under 3000 miles. Subaru/Toyota recalling 400,000 cars because of valve train problems on their joint venture. Mazda's really not doing it for me with CDA problems, they had a damn good SkyActive engine, turbo needs some time to prove reliability. Used to be the Jap companies built bulletproof engines. The reputation is of years gone buy.