sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Been a while..

Last weekend the car hit 37,500 kms, so yesterday I did an oil change and swapped my summer wheels back on. Used Castrol Edge 5w30, a Tokyo Roki OEM oil filter and a new crush washer. I was able to get everything done a lot quicker than I usually do, so that was nice. (Previous oil change was done in Oct 2019, using the same filter and oil).

Post oil change level check.. looks perfect.
IMG_20200331_185517.jpg

Post wheel swap. I was going to wash the car but the weather kind of sucks for that (lots of puddles due to the snow melting). I think I'll just give it a quick rinse later today.
IMG_20200331_191510.jpg

Last edited:

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
One more oil change in the books. Car has 43,500 kms now. I used 5L of Castrol Edge 5w30, a new crush washer and a 1WPY-14-302 oil filter (the PY8W-14-302 Tokyo Roki filters are no longer available locally).

Still too warm to swap to my winter wheel set, so I'll save that for another day.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
When I ordered my wheels, I also ordered an "upgraded" set of centercaps for them. About a month and a half ago, I noticed that the red powdercoating on one of the centercaps was starting to peel off. The other three centercaps are perfectly fine. I've had the centercaps for maybe a year and a half, but they've only seen maybe 8 months of use since I swap over to winter wheels when it gets cold out.

IMG_20200929_071037.jpg

I contacted Vossen's sales team a few weeks ago, and they said they would take care of it. Kat at Vossen sent me a new set of replacement centercaps that just came in last week. Needless to say I'm very pleased with the customer service!

IMG_20200928_185921.jpg

IMG_20200928_185936.jpg

Last edited:
:
ACT, Australia
:
2016 CX9 Azami
Hey Mike, apologies for bringing this thread back from the dead - did you just say you're effectively running a +25 offset because of the spacers? Any performance / suspension impact? Reason I'm asking is because I'm looking at a set of 22x10.5 TSW's, with a +25 offset, and the back spacing is 6.800 …but I wasn't sure if the tyres would touch the fenders on a "hard bounce", so to speak.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Hey Mike, apologies for bringing this thread back from the dead - did you just say you're effectively running a +25 offset because of the spacers? Any performance / suspension impact? Reason I'm asking is because I'm looking at a set of 22x10.5 TSW's, with a +25 offset, and the back spacing is 6.800 …but I wasn't sure if the tyres would touch the fenders on a "hard bounce", so to speak.

No worries @AWDrei! Yes, I'm basically running +25 in the rear due to the 5mm spacers. Fronts are still +30. I've got 285/35/22 tires all around, and I've gone over some big dips and high speedbumps and never heard a peep from the tires/suspension. No visible scrapes or rubbing on the inner/outer tire sidewall when I inspected them after swapping my winter tires on a couple of months ago. All tires are wearing evenly as well. Performance-wise, the difference amounts to a slightly better turn-in due to the width of the tire. You could probably shave a few more pounds of unsprung weight off of the wheel/tire setup by going with a narrower wheel/tire setup, but I prefer the aggressive look of wider tires.

:
ACT, Australia
:
2016 CX9 Azami
No worries @AWDrei! Yes, I'm basically running +25 in the rear due to the 5mm spacers. Fronts are still +30. I've got 285/35/22 tires all around, and I've gone over some big dips and high speedbumps and never heard a peep from the tires/suspension. No visible scrapes or rubbing on the inner/outer tire sidewall when I inspected them after swapping my winter tires on a couple of months ago. All tires are wearing evenly as well. Performance-wise, the difference amounts to a slightly better turn-in due to the width of the tire. You could probably shave a few more pounds of unsprung weight off of the wheel/tire setup by going with a narrower wheel/tire setup, but I prefer the aggressive look of wider tires.
Awesome, thanks for the info! The set I was looking at would be 10.5" wide with a +25 offset on all corners, but I just read your posts regarding the dirt being kicked up, and now I'm wondering if I may end up having the front wheels kick crap onto the side body (even if it's just a 5mm diff from yours). Maybe a +30 or 35 10.5" set works instead?

Last edited:

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Awesome, thanks for the info! The set I was looking at would be 10.5" wide with a +25 offset on all corners, but I just read your posts regarding the dirt being kicked up, and now I'm wondering if I may end up having the front wheels kick crap onto the side body (even if it's just a 5mm diff from yours). Maybe a +30 or 35 10.5" set works instead?

Yeah the sides will definitely get dirtier a little faster, but I think I have overblown the issue, lol. It isn't too bad as the wheel/tire setup in the front is pretty close to flush with the fender, so the actual tread of the tire is still covered by the fender. I don't have any issues with stuff like more road tar sticking to the sides of the car or anything like that, but I've noticed that in certain conditions (i.e. after a rainfall, when the road is wet) the tires kick up a mist that finds it's way onto the side of the car more easily. With thinner tires, most of the "mist" stays in the wheel well (but will still find its way onto the side of the car). I just kind of wrote it off as the difference isn't enormous, and if you drive on a wet road, the car's gonna get dirty anyway lol

A 10.5" +35 set would work, and would probably be a little safer, but I wouldn't risk going with any higher of an offset than +35 due to how close the inner rim/tire will be to the suspension. IMO +25 to +35 is the sweet spot for a 10.5" wide wheel.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
So, bit of an oopsie. I did an oil change done yesterday because the maintenance monitor said it was due. My Maintenance Monitor is set for 8000 km OCIs, but generally I do my oil changes around the same time I do my tire changeovers, which is every March/April and Sept/Oct. Miles between OCIs varies with driving, usually 6000 to 8000 kms.

My last documented oil change in my log and in this thread (which is meant to be an online version of my log) was done at 43500 kms on Sept 20, 2020. Yesterday (May 4, 2021) the odometer read 53500 km.. meaning I drove about 10000 km during this OCI 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️. I didn't realize this until I went to update this thread this morning, lol. I did go over seven months for this OCI (typically it is every six months), but that doesn't explain why I never got a warning from the Maintenance Monitor at the 7000 km mark like I usually do. My only guess is that my wife ran the battery down and boosted the car without telling me. Maybe when the battery dies, the mileage countdown for the warning resets? It's the only thing I can think of. Meh, oil change is done, I'll probably do another one at the 57500 km mark just to get back on track.

20210504_180509.jpg

Oil level looking good..

20210504_190512.jpg

Anyway, I had planned to get another UOA done so I took a sample of the oil to send away for testing. I think I'll be sending the sample to AGAT Labs this time, since they have a local depot that I should be able to use.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature

Well that didn't last long. June 2019 - May 2021. A few LEDs on each turn signal housing died. I believe I'm out of warranty on these as well (not that having a warranty means much when dealing with cheap stuff like this imported from overseas). Oh well, they were nice when they worked. Back to stock when I have some time..

Screenshot_20210507-121026_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210507-121012_Gallery.jpg

Well that didn't last long. June 2019 - May 2021. A few LEDs on each turn signal housing died. I believe I'm out of warranty on these as well (not that having a warranty means much when dealing with cheap stuff like this imported from overseas). Oh well, they were nice when they worked. Back to stock when I have some time..

View attachment 298283
View attachment 298284
Think this is from water getting in the housing? I had some cheap trailer lights that did this too and it was because the housing was poorly sealed. Ordered a second set and used some epoxy to seal them better. So far they are good. The first set didn’t last a full winter. The new ones did and will go through their second winter this year

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Think this is from water getting in the housing? I had some cheap trailer lights that did this too and it was because the housing was poorly sealed. Ordered a second set and used some epoxy to seal them better. So far they are good. The first set didn’t last a full winter. The new ones did and will go through their second winter this year

When I installed them, I didn't check to make sure they were watertight, so it's certainly a possibility. Warranty on these is only 3 months, but I'm currently working with the seller to get a reduced price on a replacement set. If I end up getting a replacement set, I'll definitely be following in your footsteps and ensuring they are sealed with some epoxy or silicone before installing them (y)