Michelin Premier LTX 225/55/19 in stores this June!!!

I guess there's a good news for you. While I was comparing tires between Continental TrueContact and Michelin Premier LTX, I found Discount Tire has Michelin Premier LTX 225/55 R19 99V listed for special order at $191 each. Of course this is in US market and things may be different in Canada.

But I'd like to clarify certain things. Here are the specs I gathered from Tire Rack and Discount Tire for these two tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty
Continental TrueContact225/55 R19 99H800 A A51 psi10/32"25 lbs.6 Years / 90,000 Miles
Michelin Premier LTX225/55 R19 99V620 A A44 psi8.5/32"28 lbs.*6 Years / 60,000 Miles

No matter how I look at them, Continental TrueContact has much better tread-life warranty and tread-wear number from government certified UTQG than Michelin Premier LTX. TrueContact should last a lot more miles than Premier LTX based on these two numbers.

Both tires ranked very well in Tire Rack's performance category. Continental TrueContact ranked number one out of 22 Standard Touring All-Season tires whereas Michelin Premier LTX ranked number one out of 22 Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tires.

There is another issue here. The maximum inflation pressure on Michelin Premier LTX V-rated tire is only at 44 psi. While it's still over CX-5's spec of 36 psi, but many people. including me, over-inflated to 38~40 psi. To me it's getting too close to 44 psi especially in hot Texas summer. Mind you OEM Toyo A23 has 51 psi maximum inflation pressure and Conti TrueContact has the same. This factor alone may sway me to Conti TrueContact for my replacement as I think this is more important than speed ratings. Not to mention I can save almost $100 for a set of new tires.
I wonder what makes the Michelin 3 lbs heavier.

How about the NITTO - NT850 Plus CUV ?

Mazda specifies H rated 17" tires on both CX-5 Sport and Touring. There's no reason we can't use H rated 19" tires on GT. Discount Tire, who is my sole tire installer, had installed lower speed rated tires on my other cars with no issues.

Have a look at the NITTO - NT850 Plus CUV.

They are V rated and are made by Toyo like the A23's. They can be had for about $130 USD each + the usual. Seems like a decent alternative. They will be on my short list when it is time. Really a shame that the choices in this size and speed rating are so limited.

I guess there's a good news for you. While I was comparing tires between Continental TrueContact and Michelin Premier LTX, I found Discount Tire has Michelin Premier LTX 225/55R19 99V listed for special order at $191 each. Of course this is in US market and things may be different in Canada.

But I'd like to clarify certain things. Here are the specs I gathered from Tire Rack and Discount Tire for these two tires and the Toyo A23 OEM tire:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty
Toyo A23225/55R19 99V300 A A51 psi9.8/32"28 lbs.None
Continental TrueContact225/55R19 99H800 A A51 psi10/32"25 lbs.6 Years / 90,000 Miles
Michelin Premier LTX225/55R19 99V620 A A44 psi8.5/32"28 lbs.*6 Years / 60,000 Miles

No matter how I look at them, Continental TrueContact has much better tread-life warranty (90,000 miles) and tread-wear number (800) from government certified UTQG than Michelin Premier LTX (60,000 miles / 620). TrueContact should last a lot more miles than Premier LTX based on these two numbers.

Both non-OEM tires ranked very well in Tire Rack's performance category. Continental TrueContact ranked number one out of 22 Standard Touring All-Season tires whereas Michelin Premier LTX ranked number one out of 22 Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tires.

They all have the same standard load (SL) index 99, 1709 lbs. per tire.

There is another issue here. The maximum inflation pressure on Michelin Premier LTX V-rated tire is only at 44 psi. While it's still over CX-5's spec of 36 psi, but many people. including me, over-inflated to 38~40 psi. To me it's getting too close to 44 psi especially in hot Texas summer. Mind you OEM Toyo A23 has 51 psi maximum inflation pressure and Conti TrueContact has the same. This factor alone may persuade me to choose Conti TrueContact for my replacement as I think this is more important than speed ratings. Not to mention I can save almost $100 for a set of new tires.

Great comparison chart. Useful info. Now, I went on to both the Tire Rack and Discount Tire sites and could find no info on the 225/55/19 Michelin Premier LTX tire. While it is mentioned on the D.T. site they say "Out of stock", probably because this size does yet exist on the market( not until June). Both sites show the 235/55/19 tire which I know is 3 lbs heavier/tire compared to the 225/55/19 model.

The warranty info on the TrueContact I found in Consumers Report where they say it has a 60,000 mile warranty. Maybe they were incorrect as I just saw 90,000 miles(as you suggest) on the Continental website. Of course the 225 TrueContacts are H rated while the 225 Premier LTX's will be V rated and H rated tires always have higher mileage warranties compared to V rated tires, BUT there will also be a tradeoff in performance &/or handling.

Since the Premier LTX is considered a Crossover/SUV Touring All Season tire I would think that it would be more suited to our CUV CX-5's than the TrueContact which is considered a Passenger car Touring All Season.

I find treadwear numbers to be dubious as there is no standard as to how each manufacturer derives their number. I have been told on more than one occasion that, for example, a rating of 800 by one manufacturer may be approximately equivalent to 620 by another.

All food for thought, but, on first inspection of your data it would certainly seem that the TrueContact might be the better tire if indeed we were comparing exactly the same size and speed rating.

Last edited:
Great comparison chart. Useful info. Now, I went on to both the Tire Rack and Discount Tire sites and could find no info on the 225/55/19 Michelin Premier LTX tire. While it is mentioned on the D.T. site they say "Out of stock", probably because this size does yet exist on the market( not until June).
Have you tried the link I provided in the post? Not only Discount Tire has listed Michelin Premier LTX 225/55 R19 99V with price on its website, but also it has DT's stock number (27080). Yeah, it says special order only, but that means my local Discount Tire stores don't have them in their stock and I can call them to order the tires for me. The only thing we don't know is how long it's going to take.

Tire Rack doesn't have Michelin Premier LTX 225/55 R19 99V listed, so as Michelin USA website.

I find treadwear numbers to be dubious as there is no standard as to how each manufacturer derives their number. I have been told on more than one occasion that, for example, a rating of 800 by one manufacturer may be approximately equivalent to 620 by another.
If you suspect DOT NHTSA's Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) Standards, then you shouldn't trust EPA fuel economy estimates either as both numbers are provided by the manufactures themselves. We can at least use treadwear number from UTQG to compare among tires, just like we use EPA fuel economy estimates to compare between cars. They're the best information available for consumers to figure out the longevity of tread wear on tires.

All food for thought, but, on first inspection of your data it would certainly seem that the TrueContact might be the better tire if indeed we were comparing exactly the same size and speed rating.
To me, the maximum inflation pressure for tires is a true indicator on how strong the tire designed and constructed. A tire which can withhold 51 psi maximum pressure has to be better designed and constructed on strength than a 44 psi tire, and tire pressure can vary a lot by the surrounding environment! I'd get a tire with much higher maximum inflation pressure than a phantom speed rating at 149 mph! H rated tire, which specified by Mazda for 17" tire on CX-5, can handle 130 mph, a speed our CX-5 can hardly reach anyway.

I personally would get the Michellin's if they became available at Costco. Tread rating aside, the free rotations , road hazard wararnty, and nitro refills make a Costco purchase more value added for me.

If they had the Conti's i would get those for sure but no dealer around me offers the services that Costco provides.

Have you tried the link I provided in the post? Not only Discount Tire has listed Michelin Premier LTX 225/55 R19 99V with price on its website, but also it has DT's stock number (27080). Yeah, it says special order only, but that means my local Discount Tire stores don't have them in their stock and I can call them to order the tires for me. The only thing we don't know is how long it's going to take.

Tire Rack doesn't have Michelin Premier LTX 225/55 R19 99V listed, so as Michelin USA website.

If you suspect DOT NHTSA's Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) Standards, then you shouldn't trust EPA fuel economy estimates either as both numbers are provided by the manufactures themselves. We can at least use treadwear number from UTQG to compare among tires, just like we use EPA fuel economy estimates to compare between cars. They're the best information available for consumers to figure out the longevity of tread wear on tires.

To me, the maximum inflation pressure for tires is a true indicator on how strong the tire designed and constructed. A tire which can withhold 51 psi maximum pressure has to be better designed and constructed on strength than a 44 psi tire, and tire pressure can vary a lot by the surrounding environment! I'd get a tire with much higher maximum inflation pressure than a phantom speed rating at 149 mph! H rated tire, which specified by Mazda for 17" tire on CX-5, can handle 130 mph, a speed our CX-5 can hardly reach anyway.

I don't know how D.T. could have access to this tire as of yet as I called Michelin USA and they told me that the 225/55/19 will not be released until June. My local Costco called Michelin Canada and got the same story. I'm guessing D.T. has a price only at this time.

The Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) Standards article which you refer to on your link specifically says:

"The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful."

I believe this confirms my suspicions of treadwear grade assignments among some/many tire manufacturers.

Now, I am intrigued with your comments about maximum tire pressure. I must do some research on this. My first thoughts are that if some tire manufacturers are "inflating" their treadwear ratings they may also be "inflating" their maximum pressure ratings, knowing that no-one may ever pump up their tires to their "max" rating. Having said that it does make sense that tires that have a stiffer sidewall may easily take a higher pressure. Uping the pressure would certainly change the dynamics of the tire both + and - I would think. But why change the pressure to get the dynamics you want, why not just buy a tire that has the characteristics you want in the first place?

Last edited:
The real concern concerns load rating. You must not put a tire on with a lower load rating or risk a blowout and legal issues. Ed

Reference please. I never heard on any legal issues related to load rating.

For reference. The load rating for the OEM tire is 1,709 lbs X4 = Load rating for the car is 4674 /4 = 1168.5 per tire I put on replacement tires rated at 1819 LB so I think I will stay out of jale but I would still like to know what the legal issues are.

Better check your math!!!!!

Mazda says the Gross load for the car is 4674 Split over 4 tires that is 1,168.5 lb.

The OEM tires are rated at 1709 LB per tire. 1709 is bigger then 1138 so the OEM tire is OK.

1819 is also higher then 1709 so I think my new tires are OK.

But no math. What are the legal issues related to load rating?

What about this one Yokohama GEOLANDAR G055? It V rated.

Size: 225/55R19 99V
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Low Rolling Resistance: BluEarth
UTQG: 740 A A

Mazda says the Gross load for the car is 4674 Split over 4 tires that is 1,168.5 lb.

The OEM tires are rated at 1709 LB per tire. 1709 is bigger then 1138 so the OEM tire is OK.

1819 is also higher then 1709 so I think my new tires are OK.

But no math. What are the legal issues related to load rating?

Sorry--easier to understand in this post.

Any time you install a tire on a vehicle with a lower load index or speed rating than is listed inside the drivers door you open yourself up to legal action if you should be involved in an accident. I know an H rating vs a V rating is no problem in reality, but a lawyer would latch on to that if you were in an accident.

Sorry--easier to understand in this post.

Any time you install a tire on a vehicle with a lower load index or speed rating than is listed inside the drivers door you open yourself up to legal action if you should be involved in an accident. I know an H rating vs a V rating is no problem in reality, but a lawyer would latch on to that if you were in an accident.

Yep, this is one of the reasons I will be sticking with 99V tires when I replace my (crappy) 19" oem Toyo A23's with a better 225/55/19 99V tire instead of one of the more common H rated tites. I don't want the call from 1-800-sue-a-19"-H-owner !!!

Last edited:
Yep, this is one of the reasons I will be sticking with 99V tires when I replace my (crappy) 19" oem Toyo A23's with a better 225/55/19 99V tire instead of one of the more common H rated tites. I don't want the call from 1-800-sue-a-19"-H-owner !!!

you open yourself up to legal action is the part I wonder about. How do we know this?

you open yourself up to legal action is the part I wonder about. How do we know this?

As dblgoat I believe eludes to above, lets say you as a CX-5 GT owner with oem 225/55/19 99V tires decides to replace those Toyo tires with an H rated tire, despite Mazda recommending a V rated tire, and, you were unfortunately in an accident which may have been your fault. A smart lawyer might have no problems in suing you since you put on tires not recommended by Mazda for your V rated CX-5 GT, suggesting that if you had the recommended tires on, the accident may not have happened.

Might this ever happen? Maybe not. It might depend on whether you you believe lawyers like to sue people at the drop a hat. For me I'm sticking with V rated tires because I believe that it is the speed rating tire that will give me the optimum driving/performance characteristics that Mazda wanted with the CX-5 GT.

OK so your saying it's possible but there is no known precedent. I agree. Anyone can sue anyone for anything. I am running tires rated two letters higher then needed so I could be sued for that. I'm not going to worry about it.

OK so your saying it's possible but there is no known precedent. I agree. Anyone can sue anyone for anything. I am running tires rated two letters higher then needed so I could be sued for that. I'm not going to worry about it.

If you run on Pirelli tires you are just fine going up a speed rating or 2 as they specifically state on the sticker on their tires that:

"Replacement tires must always have a load index and speed rating equal to or greater than those fitted as original equipment"

I have had a few tire dealers recommend the same thing about other brands but they also said that the likelihood of there ever being an issue with me running one speed rating down from a V to an H would be extremely unlikely. They went on to say the main difference could be a less comfortable tire as the H rated tires use a compound in it's composition that makes the rubber harder therefore also extending the treadlife. While I'd like a longer treadlife I don't want an uncomfortable handling tire. Such is one of the tradeoffs that we might all choose to make.

Last edited:
I'm curious why no one has mentioned the Yokohama YK580? 60K warranty and V speed rating:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...5286&frmcart=true&pc=24221&ar=55&rd=19&cs=225

I'm at 40K on my Toyo A23 OEM tires now, and need to replace. The Yokahama's have been the only ones I can find that have a 99V rating and aren't over $1K installed for 4.

I know that the 225/55/19 99V Bridgestone Dueler H/L Ecopia 422's come in under $1K all up, at Costco up here in Canada. I haven't received a price from COSTCO on the Michelin Premier LTX's as of yet since they won't be released until June, but basing it on the Premier LTX 235/55/19 which come in just over $1k I would think the 225/55/19 Premier LTX's will come in right around $1k, or a tad lower, all up. If my almost worn out Toyo's can last until June they may be my first preference.

I'm curious why no one has mentioned the Yokohama YK580? 60K warranty and V speed rating:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...5286&frmcart=true&pc=24221&ar=55&rd=19&cs=225

I'm at 40K on my Toyo A23 OEM tires now, and need to replace. The Yokahama's have been the only ones I can find that have a 99V rating and aren't over $1K installed for 4.
Actually there is V rated Yokohama Geolandar G055 which is at the same price range as Yokohama YK580 but with longer mileage warranty. And V rated Nitto NT850+ CUV tire, at $130+ each, should cost you less than $650 with everything.

Back