Miata with 15 pounds of boost

it was actually a RX-7 turbo...I was reading about it and wondered how fast it would be! And if the stock internals would hold that.

www.flyinmiata.com

It think it says somewhere on the site that with engine management (thier LINK ECU) and stronger internals it can do 15 psi (they run thier kits at 12 psi, the newer models 9 or 10). When I was there I saw one of thier Miatas put out over 250 wheel horsepower.

to clarify - the top of the line FM kit can run 12 psi on stock internals, needs stronger clutch however. They have a bunch of dyno sheets posted on that page.

Stock 1990-97 internals will hold 12 psi from a large T28 for years. 15 psi is a little more risky - it all depends on how long you want to run it and how good your engine management is. On a 1.8, expect somewhere around 270 rwhp with this setup.

With built internals, it's up to you. Our racer runs endurance events at 350 rwhp. Some drag racers have seen 400 out of the stock internals, but not for long.

Keith

right...has anyone here used a RX-7 turbo? And I couldn't find and 1/4th mile times on that website or 0-60...anyone have anytimes?

We don't quote 0-60 or 1/4 mile times because they depend on the driver, the strip, the tires, the weather... too hard to duplicate. FM II owners have made it into the 12s and 0-60 times are in the 5s assuming a good launch.

I don't know the specs of the turbo used in the RX-7, so I can't comment on it.

Keith

Last edited:
Keith, what is the best time that Track Dog has ever posted, assuming that is, you have run the car on a drag strip.

We've never run it on a drag strip. That's not why we built it. We're not drag racers. 350 hp, 2050 lbs with gas - I suspect it would do well if it had a good driver and the tranny didn't frag.

Quote from a local import racer who saw the car: "Why do you have slicks on the front??"

Keith

Which year? The 2nd Gen used a larger single turbo, the 3rd Gen used two smaller IHI turbos. The best resource for RX-7 information would probably be an RX-7 site.

Keith

This is the info I have from most magazines:

1993 RX7-R1- 0-60 4.7 sec 1/4 13.7 100mph
1988 RX7 turboII- 0-60 6.6 sec 1/4 14.9 93mph.

i hope that helps...

Last edited:
maitai92 said:
This is the info I have from most magazines:

1993 RX7-R1- 0-60 4.7 sec 1/4 13.7 100mph
1988 RX7 turboII- 0-60 6.6 sec 1/4 14.9 93mph.

i hope that helps...

wow - very generous times for the FD...I've only seen one or two FDs break into the 13s stock... :)

I guess Im just a complete fluke of nature. Ive seen 307-347rwhp for 2 years now on the stock motor. I drive it to work too. I dont stay in the gas constantly, I run a high octane fuel and Im careful.

Dunno.

Last edited:
Mazda100 said:
maybe someone here has some info on the RX-7 Turbo...

Have you tried rx7club.com? There is a lot of good info there, and they have some killer meets too!
I ran the autocross last year at the RX7 Revolution in Indy. It was a blast, and there were some beautiful cars there, lots of them with serious boost. I know at least one blew up on the drag strip. That wasn't pretty.

Back