Messed my Radio and Cig Lighter up...

Howdy folks,

First of all, hope you're all doing well during these times. Same thing for your loved ones, too.

I, like the Grade A car noob that I am, decided to fill my tires with one of those compressors that you hookup to the cig lighter, after my P5 had been sitting for a bit due to some repairs. It had worked for me before, so I assumed it would be fine. But, this time, when I went to use it, the compressor cut off, and wouldn't turn back on. After that, I noticed that my radio wouldn't work, at all. I checked the radio fuse, and that was blown, so I replaced it (and H/CLN too, just to be safe), but I still have no radio, and no cigarette lighter power.

Any guess as to what could be my issue or did I just fry my stereo and cigarette lighter? That would be bad, but even worse is the fact that the previous owner had messed with the wiring in the car to set up a sub system (there's still cables rolling around in the trunk), so finding what is causing my issues is going to be even harder.

EDIT: I should also note that my AC is flakey and only works in 1st speed, and the compressor sometimes kicks on or off.

I appreciate all help that any of you all may be able to provide

Thanks,
Ryan
 
Last edited:
UPDATE: I found the mother of all fire hazards hiding behind my radio. There's cables cut and spliced EVERYWHERE. If anyone can help me fix all of this, I'd be very grateful
 

Attachments

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
I checked my wiring diagrams, and in 2002 the cigarette lighter was run off the radio fuse and the H/CLN fuse was not used. In 2002.5 they changed it and the cigarette lighter was removed from the radio fuse and put on the H/CLN fuse.

Check and trace your P/B wire (pink with a black stripe). That's your power feed wire to your radio and probably your cigarette lighter. (because you blew your radio fuse). Check your radio fuse again to see if it blew again. You probably got one of those taped up connections too hot and you've now got an open connection.

If you've got a multimeter, you can test for power at the cigarette lighter and the power going into the stereo and trace it back. Remove the tape on all the P/B wires and check those connections. If your fuse is blown again you may have a short circuit in your lighter socket.
 

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
That orange connector doesn't appear to be the audio unit connector?





It could be, but it could be a stereo installation harness kit?
If it is a kit, the wire colors may not match the factory wire colors, but the power feed wire to the cigarette lighter should be the P/B wire.

Trace that wire back from the cigarette lighter socket and see where it ties into the power wire going into the stereo.
 
You probably got one of those taped up connections too hot and you've now got an open connection.
Alright, first of all, I greatly appreciate your helping me figure out this cable soup mess I've gotten myself into.

I don't have a meter to check if all of the cables are getting power, but upon doing some more messing around with connectors, I found that my radio is getting power, just not enough to properly work, as it can take and spit out CD's even though the screen doesn't light up and no music plays.

Which I assume means that your theory about an open connection has a higher chance of being true. I'll get a meter and get around to tearing the dash apart once it comes in :D
 

Natey

Moderator
Contributor
Patron
The wire that powers the cig lighter is really thin and weak. That may have fried when you left the compressor on. I fried mine with a charge cord for my phone! There's a how-to around here somewhere to replace that weak wire but I never bothered because it looked like kind of a nightmare getting behind the center console. lol

I can't seem to find the how-to fix it link, but it's a semi-common issue for 3rd gen Proteges. Basically, you gotta get behind the cig lighter and replace the thin weak power wire with something more beefy like an 8 gauge wire.
 

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
There are two positive power feeds to the stereo.
One is direct to the battery to keep the stereo settings and let you remove a cd without putting your key in the ignition.

The second one only gets power when the key is in the ignition so that the stereo shuts off when you remove your key.

It's the same wire that feeds your cigarette lighter.
The cigarette lighter is switched with the ignition.
 

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
Actually, your orange connector is probably plugged into this...



Your P/B wire is probably on the other end of your connector.

It's the same wire as Natey mentioned.
 

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
... I'll get a meter and get around to tearing the dash apart once it comes in :D
You could probably do it without the meter.
It should be pretty obvious that the wire is cooked and you know which one it is.

This might help with your teardown.












And a link to the service manual, in case you don't have it.


 
Top